The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Economics Unit 12 Friday 25th May

Hey guys, any tips and advice for this exam. I would also be grateful if any of you guys (either from last year or this year) have any revision notes for this exam!!

I know there are many others who would benefit from this thread as well!!
Reply 1
Original post by Frankster
Hey guys, any tips and advice for this exam. I would also be grateful if any of you guys (either from last year or this year) have any revision notes for this exam!!

I know there are many others who would benefit from this thread as well!!

Hey :biggrin:
Doing this on Friday too, arrhhhh :eek: As for tips, we've been told to make sure that on any 12/14 mark questions we give our opinion in the conclusion and try to give either a new or developed reason as to why you think that :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mill13
Hey :biggrin:
Doing this on Friday too, arrhhhh :eek: As for tips, we've been told to make sure that on any 12/14 mark questions we give our opinion in the conclusion and try to give either a new or developed reason as to why you think that :smile:

Yeah same! Apparently our school can't apply to save our lives so that's where we lose our marks - as a school!! Last year in the Unit 11 exam our head of economics contacted the exam board but they said just that!
the exam today was actually ok. The olympics questions were the easiest one out of them, but the dominant firms questions were quite hard. Especially the one about how would it affect the producers.
Reply 4
Original post by lorobolorolo
the exam today was actually ok. The olympics questions were the easiest one out of them, but the dominant firms questions were quite hard. Especially the one about how would it affect the producers.

I put that positive impact would be farmers getting paid a lot and able to run their farms well.. but for negative impact I put that if supermarket chains shut down like 30 stores it isn't a big impact to them but it is a huge impact to the producers, since supermarkets collectively have over 1000 stores in the UK. Whereas if you shut down 30 stores in a small region - then the farmers in that region will suffer...

Hope I do well in that q. Overall I found the paper alright. I applied quite well, whereas the justification I didn't do as well I think.

But I guess you can't really say anything about essay based papers like Economics, History or English= hopefully I get an A* :smile:!
Original post by Frankster
I put that positive impact would be farmers getting paid a lot and able to run their farms well.. but for negative impact I put that if supermarket chains shut down like 30 stores it isn't a big impact to them but it is a huge impact to the producers, since supermarkets collectively have over 1000 stores in the UK. Whereas if you shut down 30 stores in a small region - then the farmers in that region will suffer...

Hope I do well in that q. Overall I found the paper alright. I applied quite well, whereas the justification I didn't do as well I think.

But I guess you can't really say anything about essay based papers like Economics, History or English= hopefully I get an A* :smile:!

I wrote that producers from poorer countries may benefit through Fairtrade. Is is right ?
Reply 6
That last 14 marker on 'do you think chinese and indian governments are showing enough concern for ethical issues?' was horrible. I didn't want ethical issues to come up anyway but it wasn't even asking what is the most significant issue, it just said are hey doing enough, with no help from the case study at all!

For the positives I talked about infrastructure improving the standard of living and a rise in the minimum wage in China (using Foxconn example), but I heavily criticised these in my evaluation as the wage was still very low and the infrastructure only benefitted those in urban areas, so the government wasn't showing enough concern for the majority of those affected by ethical issues.

Negatives were easier e.g. pollution and inequality (with some stats thrown in) and their long term significance but I still wasn't confident with the exam as a whole. I was so happy when dominant firms was all about supermarkets - I had nothing for games consoles or football clubs.
Reply 7
Original post by hoanganhbeo96
I wrote that producers from poorer countries may benefit through Fairtrade. Is is right ?

You could say that, i don't see why not.
Reply 8
In the exam, for the two research questions, it said that we 'have to refer to Item B/Item C in our answers'... is it alright if we used ideas from the Item without saying its 'from Item B' or do we have to mention the article or refer to it? Do we lose any marks if we don't?
Reply 9
Original post by ba7arna10
In the exam, for the two research questions, it said that we 'have to refer to Item B/Item C in our answers'... is it alright if we used ideas from the Item without saying its 'from Item B' or do we have to mention the article or refer to it? Do we lose any marks if we don't?

It's fine - u dont have to have a specific reference to the "Item"
Reply 10
I did well with the Olympics question, ok with the dominant firms but had problem with the China one. I put down around 4 points on the negative side but could not think of any on the positive side. Made a conclusion that said all negative not sure how many marks will lose but I guess alot:mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending