The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Just completed the inductive reasoning test for the CPS. Completely irrelevant (yet again) but so, so much fun. Had to rush a bit at the end but still finished comfortably.
Reply 1301
Original post by pupillagehunter123
Don't be disheartened, I only just received my call for an invite to interview this morning! There is still hope!

All interviews are being held on the 16th June.

I was told they are all happening on 16 June - 3 short panel interviews of 15 mins each - morning or afternoon. How many do you anticipate are being interviewed? It doesn't seem like they can interview THAT many people in two slots in one day...
Nothing was mentioned about a second interview - is it just this one shot from which they decide who to make an offer to?

Anyone have any ideas?
Has anyone had a generic email from Essex Court saying when we are meant to be notified if we have been selected for an interview?
Congrats to all those through to the CPS next round!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1304
I interviewed at Lamb last year. There were quite a few of us. You have 3 interviews. One ethical - know the code!! 3 people in room, mine was short, only 3 questions. Also randomly asked me about stieg larsson books and hollywood doing a film of girl with dragon tattoo..... The other interview is based on your essay question, they really go for you. Know your stuff and argue well. Stick to your opinion; don't change just because of an argument they put forward. Then we had a written problem to do during the same time. It was a prosecution brief last year, with lots of random questions. I was pre bptc so the written and ethics part were pretty pointless. They pick their pupils that night. No 2nd round.

Reply 1305
Original post by anon14
I interviewed at Lamb last year. There were quite a few of us. You have 3 interviews. One ethical - know the code!! 3 people in room, mine was short, only 3 questions. Also randomly asked me about stieg larsson books and hollywood doing a film of girl with dragon tattoo..... The other interview is based on your essay question, they really go for you. Know your stuff and argue well. Stick to your opinion; don't change just because of an argument they put forward. Then we had a written problem to do during the same time. It was a prosecution brief last year, with lots of random questions. I was pre bptc so the written and ethics part were pretty pointless. They pick their pupils that night. No 2nd round.

Were you in the morning? There is also a 'personality' interview - again three members in the room asking general questions - very informal. Despite circumstances, the interview day last year was a really good experience - you sit with the others in a room doing the written exercise and waiting to be called for each interview so plenty of time to chat.

I had feedback from Bernie Richmond post interview where he suggested backing down on an argument isn't always the worst thing to do - if you are in a corner and can see your reasoning was wrong, then changing your view (as long as you explain your reasoning) won't always be looked down on.

Reply 1306
Taketwo and Anon14 - thank you very much for that insight. I am pre-BPTC also, so I suppose I will have to learn the code by next week - I found the SRA code of conduct - does the same apply for barristers? Anyone have a link to one, please?

Anon14 - were the random questions totally random, or in some way in connection to your application? Because that is QUIITTEEE random indeed! lol

Taketwo, I was chatting to a senior barrister at No5 during my mini a couple of months back and his tip was NEVER back down, stick to your argument. The purpose of which is to demonstrate how quickly and cogently you are able to manipulate and rebut their counter-arguments. This barrister in particular sits in the second round interviews and selects the final pupils - so I suppose people's opinions on this differ slightly. Chances are, the answer on your application was thoroughly researched and you believe in it! I'm going to argue it to death!

One final question - what on earth is the written exercise about? Will being pre-BPTC adversely affect my performance in your opinion?
Original post by Stejoe
I found the SRA code of conduct - does the same apply for barristers? Anyone have a link to one, please?

I thought I'd chip in re: the code so you didn't have to wait for someone else to reply. The Bar Code of Conduct is on the Bar Standards Board website, here: http://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/regulatory-requirements/the-code-of-conduct/.
Reply 1308
Original post by Stejoe
Taketwo and Anon14 - thank you very much for that insight. I am pre-BPTC also, so I suppose I will have to learn the code by next week - I found the SRA code of conduct - does the same apply for barristers? Anyone have a link to one, please?

Anon14 - were the random questions totally random, or in some way in connection to your application? Because that is QUIITTEEE random indeed! lol

Taketwo, I was chatting to a senior barrister at No5 during my mini a couple of months back and his tip was NEVER back down, stick to your argument. The purpose of which is to demonstrate how quickly and cogently you are able to manipulate and rebut their counter-arguments. This barrister in particular sits in the second round interviews and selects the final pupils - so I suppose people's opinions on this differ slightly. Chances are, the answer on your application was thoroughly researched and you believe in it! I'm going to argue it to death!

One final question - what on earth is the written exercise about? Will being pre-BPTC adversely affect my performance in your opinion?

You can find a copy of the various chapters of the Bar Code of Conduct here: http://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/regulatory-requirements/the-code-of-conduct/
Reply 1309
Bernie Richmond is one of the interviewers, but all prior advice has been do not back down! I put that i read european crime novels- i think hence the stieg larsson question. Code of conduct is slightly different for the bar- look at the bar council website. Eg, if your client is a member of the bnp and charged with child sex offences can you say no to representing? That was a question i was asked (though at another set). Just be yourself and try and enjoy it(!) then they will see the real you. If your application is good enough for an interview then stand out from the crown and show them someone they would enjoy working alongside.

Reply 1310
Typo- stand out from the crowd, not the crown..... Although ............

Reply 1311
Original post by Stejoe

Bernie Richmond QC is at lamb and conducts the 'advocacy' interview with his wife and one other member of chambers, so his view is worth thinking about. I don't mean always back down, but if they present a strong argument or you realise your argument is flawed then don't be afraid to say so.

The written exercise was very criminal evidence based so worth doing some reading if you haven't already studied it.
Reply 1312
Original post by olpasdisliker
I thought I'd chip in re: the code so you didn't have to wait for someone else to reply. The Bar Code of Conduct is on the Bar Standards Board website, here: http://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/regulatory-requirements/the-code-of-conduct/.

That's very kind - thank you so much!
Reply 1313
Right, I certainly have my work cut out for me - teach myself crim evidence and learn the code of conduct. Fun week ahead!! lol

Thank you all for your prompt replies - very useful and comforting to engage with people in the same boat!

I'm in the afternoon slot, FYI, so perhaps I will meet you guys there, although of course there is no way of knowing who is who... :smile:
Reply 1314
Hi all,

I have a first round interview at Matrix in a couple of weeks, does anyone know anything about the interview format there? This will be my first pupillage interview so I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks!
Has anyone else heard from 9 Gough Square in terms of rejection? At the risk of sounding a bit whiney, I am a bit peeved that I haven't got an interview there - I worked for months on the application, had several people read through it and had two very good references (or so I have been told!) where am I going wrong??

It has been a few years since I have been called but I have been racking up the advocacy/legal experience in the sort of work they do - do you think experience counts against you with some sets?
Original post by Debatable
Has anyone else heard from 9 Gough Square in terms of rejection? At the risk of sounding a bit whiney, I am a bit peeved that I haven't got an interview there - I worked for months on the application, had several people read through it and had two very good references (or so I have been told!) where am I going wrong??

It has been a few years since I have been called but I have been racking up the advocacy/legal experience in the sort of work they do - do you think experience counts against you with some sets?

I've not heard from them either. I'm in the same boat in that I felt like I had two fantastic references and had spent a considerable amount of time on the form. I guess it may be the case that all the other candidates also had impressive applications, or perhaps they haven't notified everyone yet?
Original post by Lawrasawrus
I've not heard from them either. I'm in the same boat in that I felt like I had two fantastic references and had spent a considerable amount of time on the form. I guess it may be the case that all the other candidates also had impressive applications, or perhaps they haven't notified everyone yet?

Perhaps...I am tempted to give them a call but feel that is desperate. A friend of mine had a first round interview there a few years ago but he was in his third year of uni and (as he himself confessed) his application was quite sparse but this was when they used to just ask for a CV and references.
Original post by Debatable

I was rejected after a second round there last year. All I can say is, both for first and second round, they massively staggered their invitations to interview. I think there was only one person phoning round inviting people, and I remember hearing someone being told they had an interview several weeks before me. I had completely written off my chances but then I got the phone call too. So don't lose heart; at this stage I would say you cannot tell whether you have been invited or not.
Original post by jump28
Has anyone else still not heard anything from 42 Bedford Row? I haven't heard anything either way and no update on PP either, so I'm assuming rejection by silence..? Also, I haven't had a phone call from 9 Gough Square this afternoon, who are my ideal set, so I'm assuming a rejection from them as well :frown:

Nope, haven't heard, app still under consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest