The Student Room Group

Do you think Oscar Pistorius is guilty of premeditated murder?

Poll

Do you think Oscar Pistorius is guilty of premeditated murder?

Do you think he is guilty of premeditated murder or did he think his girlfriend was an intruder?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't go far as to say I think he killed her in cold-blood, but at the same time I don't believe the intruder story.

Also been reading reports about how police found steroids and needles in his house. Following the Lance Armstrong debacle, this is hardly what sport (especially Paralympic sport) needs at the moment.
From what I heard (obviously may not be true 100%) was there was regular shouting in the house where the police had to be called. That night there were screams heard before he started shooting again.

Also she was apparently locked in the bathroom door when it happened. If it were me I would have called, not just started shooting.

Did he call an ambulance after, etc I don't know tbh so I'm not trying to pass a verdict at all.
Reply 3
I don't know much about the story, I've heard bits and pieces but I seen the police have rejected the statement that he thought there was an intruder..
I was following the BBC reporter's twitter feed today. By the sounds of it, the defence did well today and the prosecution's argument was weakened quite significantly. Evidence from the post mortem was that her bladder was empty, consistent with her going to the toilet, so it's unlikely that she locked herself in there as a result of an argument. And from what reporters have said, his story was very convincing. Of course, he could just be a good liar, but from what I've heard so far, it sounds like the murder wasn't premeditated, even if it wasn't a complete mistake either.
Original post by Rascacielos
I was following the BBC reporter's twitter feed today. By the sounds of it, the defence did well today and the prosecution's argument was weakened quite significantly. Evidence from the post mortem was that her bladder was empty, consistent with her going to the toilet, so it's unlikely that she locked herself in there as a result of an argument. And from what reporters have said, his story was very convincing. Of course, he could just be a good liar, but from what I've heard so far, it sounds like the murder wasn't premeditated, even if it wasn't a complete mistake either.

Surely he would have heard a toilet flush or known she was there or whatever in that case?
Original post by Mourinho<3
Surely he would have heard a toilet flush or known she was there or whatever in that case?

That depends on whether she got around to flushing. By the sounds of it, she was sat on the toilet when she was shot, so maybe she'd only just finished.

His story is that she thought she was still in bed and it was only when he went back to the room afterwards that he discovered she wasn't there and realised that it might have been her in the bathroom.

I don't really want to say whether he's guilty or not because there's plenty of evidence that hasn't been told and I'm only basing my opinion on media reports. As I said, the general consensus is that he will be granted bail because his story holds up, but that doesn't mean he is telling the truth, of course.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think it was a premeditated murder because he does look like he regrets it a lot it does seem out of character however i fully understand this could be an act but i don't think it is because as far as i'm aware they were perfectly happy. For a more plausible argument, South Africa is known to be one of the most dangerous countries in the world so that is possibly why he had a gun for self defence. The fact that he is disabled also makes him more defenceless. It by no means makes guns permissible even on that ground o but it supports the idea of the killing not to be premeditated but for an intruder. At the end of the day i guess he is a murderer and should be punished to be locked up. It's just a shame that it was someone who was so inspirational that committed such a crime.

All in all not premeditated
Reply 8
We only have news reports to go from but yes I do.
Reply 9
I have been following the court proceedings through Andrew Harding's twitter and the defence are making a pretty clear and good case. The reports of neighbours hearing disturbances were from witnesses that lived 600m away, hardly within earshot so whether that is credible or not is now being brought into question. They also tried rebuffing the 'testosterone' as a legal natural performance booster, the facts behind this are still unclear. The detective Botha really screwed up today, the prosecutors are probably regretting having the guy involved with it all but though lucky really. In my opinion from all the evidence I have heard so far it seems very unlikely it was pre-meditated murder, but the intruder story sounds too good a cover up. Let's hope justice prevails anyway, as the South African judicial system is notorious for being corrupt and inept.
The defence put forward a really good case so I'm really hoping it's true and he didn't do it deliberately, but there's a lot of evidence still to see. Surely if they can work out the angle the bullets were shot they can work out what happened, seeing as the defence are saying he didn't have his prosthetic legs on but the prosecution think he walked over to the door. I'm really hoping he didn't.
Original post by Mourinho<3
Did he call an ambulance after, etc I don't know tbh so I'm not trying to pass a verdict at all.

I believe he did, although the chief investigative officer, Hilton Botha, was questioned today and he says that he hadn't checked if he had or not.

I don't know whether he is guilty of murder or not. I'll wait for more evidence to come to light before making a decision. One thing that is for certain though is that the South African police are being embarrassed for the world to see. Botha was given the run around today and he admitted that he probably contaminated the crime scene because he was not wearing the correct footwear. The defence also claim that it was their own forensics team that found a spent bullet in the toilet bowl, not the police's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

Why would she have locked the door when going to the bathroom?
I didnt vote on this, purley because im not sure.

Part of me thinks, why would you not check your bed for your girlfriend ? And if you were disabled would you actually leave the room, I think I would stay put and shoot them if they came in.

Another part says, well, if it were late at night, then maybe she didnt flush, to not wake him, and an intruder might have sought safety in a locked bathroom, if he thought he'd been foiled.

his story holds up, with gaps in his logic. Maybe shout, then shoot?

Interesting to see what they decide though.
Original post by Swanbow
I have been following the court proceedings through Andrew Harding's twitter and the defence are making a pretty clear and good case. The reports of neighbours hearing disturbances were from witnesses that lived 600m away, hardly within earshot so whether that is credible or not is now being brought into question. They also tried rebuffing the 'testosterone' as a legal natural performance booster, the facts behind this are still unclear. The detective Botha really screwed up today, the prosecutors are probably regretting having the guy involved with it all but though lucky really. In my opinion from all the evidence I have heard so far it seems very unlikely it was pre-meditated murder, but the intruder story sounds too good a cover up. Let's hope justice prevails anyway, as the South African judicial system is notorious for being corrupt and inept.

Plus one'd for this. I remember when they tried to jail those miners who rioted, the police killed a load of them, then prosecuted the rioters. I think the UN or a human rights group stepped in before it got to actually imprisoning them.
Reply 15

I always thought people peed when they died anyway :dontknow: Loss of voluntary sphincter control and all that.
Original post by Seaton
Why would she have locked the door when going to the bathroom?

I can't believe so many people are asking this question. I have always locked the bathroom door when in there, even if I'm the only person in the house. Is it just me who does this?
Reply 17
Original post by rcummins1
I wouldn't go far as to say I think he killed her in cold-blood, but at the same time I don't believe the intruder story.

Also been reading reports about how police found steroids and needles in his house. Following the Lance Armstrong debacle, this is hardly what sport (especially Paralympic sport) needs at the moment.

No, this was thoroughly debunked today. Botha, the police investigator, hadn't read the label properly and had assumed it was testosterone. It wasn't - it was testo-composutim co-enzyme which is apparently a legal, non-performance-enhancing herbal remedy the use of which is quite common amongst athletes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by TheMagicRat
I can't believe so many people are asking this question. I have always locked the bathroom door when in there, even if I'm the only person in the house. Is it just me who does this?

I would do it out of habit, but that's due to having younger brothers/sisters that don't care about etiquette or aren't intelligent to recognise what a closed bathroom door signifies.

In a supposedly loving relationship...
Reply 19
Original post by TheMagicRat

No - on the other thread about this loads of people said they wouldn't dream of going to the toilet without locking the door - especially in a very new relationship. Toilet shyness all the way.

Quick Reply

Latest