The Student Room Group

How do I unbind my textbooks??

I'm thinking of unbinding my textbooks to make it easier to focus on certain chapters and to allow me to take only what I need into college since I have many books and my back is starting to ache.

What's the best way for me to take apart a textbook so I can holepunch the pages and put them in a binder?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm thinking of unbinding my textbooks to make it easier to focus on certain chapters and to allow me to take only what I need into college since I have many books and my back is starting to ache.

What's the best way for me to take apart a textbook so I can holepunch the pages and put them in a binder?

Thanks!

You mad? Man up (I know you're a girl, but I don't care).

Thanks!

Oh god I don't think I could do that to a book!
I remember once an old English teacher saw a pupil in my class rip a page in his textbook and she had murder in her eyes...
Original post by tehforum
You mad? Man up (I know you're a girl, but I don't care).

Yeah I am mad. What's the problem with not wanting to carry around loads of textbooks and folders?

Original post by ellakrystina
Oh god I don't think I could do that to a book!
I remember once an old English teacher saw a pupil in my class rip a page in his textbook and she had murder in her eyes...

I'm not going to rip the pages out, I'm just planning on taking them out. But I have no idea how to do so without ruining the sheets.

Also, having my textbooks in folder form means I can take more information into college with me since the textbooks in our library are crap.
Yeah I am mad. What's the problem with not wanting to carry around loads of textbooks and folders?

I'm not going to rip the pages out, I'm just planning on taking them out. But I have no idea how to do so without ruining the sheets.

Also, having my textbooks in folder form means I can take more information into college with me since the textbooks in our library are crap.

How about lining a ruler along the bind and slicing the pages out with a scalpel? That's probably your neatest option :smile:
Original post by ellakrystina
How about lining a ruler along the bind and slicing the pages out with a scalpel? That's probably your neatest option :smile:

Wouldn't it be easy to rip the pages by accident though?

Thanks for the suggestion though. That may be my only option.

Publishers should seriously offer textbooks in binder format.
Reply 6
Perhaps scan the pages out, print them in school ?

They'd be in black and white though ...
Reply 7
Wouldn't it be easy to rip the pages by accident though?

Thanks for the suggestion though. That may be my only option.

Publishers should seriously offer textbooks in binder format.

It's not like you're carrying out the all the volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary.

You can't take out the pages, because they're glued.

How big are your textbooks anyway?
Reply 8
You're going to have to literally saw off the spine where all the pages are bound lol.

Good luck. :yy:
If you've got a G clamp and a power-saw in the tool shed, I would just clamp the book down onto a table, and use saw off the spine (as suggested above I can see). It's the quickest way to do it.
Original post by tehforum
It's not like you're carrying out the all the volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary.

You can't take out the pages, because they're glued.

How big are your textbooks anyway?

I melted the glue with the hairdryer and pulled the signatures out after snipping the thread holding the pages with the spine.

The class textbook is 450 pages but it's got large pages and I've got about 50 pages of notes stuffed between the pages (they're summary stuff)

The other textbook is 350 pages I think. I also take in a 280 page textbook I used at AS.

The thing with the 450 page textbook is we only need one or two pages each lesson. Taking in the whole thing is irritating. And I tend to drop stuff so I'm always dropping the bloody book.
At least it's in folder format now!
I actually carry an 800 page dictionary to college with me.

Quick Reply

Latest