The Student Room Group

sociology exam 12th January 2012

Has everyone completed their revision? I haven't..

What sub-topic do you find most difficult? :s-smilie:

Families and household btw..
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this for families and households, AQA?
Reply 2
sorry forgot to mention...yes, it is
Reply 3
Ahhh I see. I'm also doing that!! If you need any help or wanna discuss it, I'd be happy to :smile:

I've nearly finished, just social policy and demography to go. I've already pretty much learnt demography though as I had a mock on it
Reply 4
Does anybody know what the 24mark questions may be on for Families and Households?
In my sociology lesson today my teacher started to go through every past paper there has been. He then told us how the man who does the exam had posted 5 - 6 questions that no one has seen before, so my teacher said maybe it'll be one of those questions if this helps haha
oh damn :/ i really need some help on figuring out whats more likely to come up for the 24 marks questions :frown: any help? x
Reply 7
Original post by s_axo
Ahhh I see. I'm also doing that!! If you need any help or wanna discuss it, I'd be happy to :smile:

I've nearly finished, just social policy and demography to go. I've already pretty much learnt demography though as I had a mock on it

What are the 'consequences for the decline in death rate' and the 'consequences for the decline in birth rate'?
I know the reasons for family diversity, what have you guys got down for the reasons for family diversity? Are sexual, ethnic, cultural and social class diversity some of the reasons for family diversity?
Reply 8
I haven't even started revising yet. Oops.
Reply 9
Aahh, sociology always happens to be last for revision in my schedule :frown:
I think I'm disliking most topics atm. Actually the first topic, functions of family isn't bad. But doubt much of thats gonna come up.
Reply 10
hey, i have been told numerous times that a essay question on feminism is going to come up - i also went through past papers and last year it was marxist and year before was about functionalists. and also you have laods to talk about with feminism e.g. domestic violonce, Ansleys "takers of ****", division of labour, supporting the rise of women etc
Original post by fhar2248
hey, i have been told numerous times that a essay question on feminism is going to come up - i also went through past papers and last year it was marxist and year before was about functionalists. and also you have laods to talk about with feminism e.g. domestic violonce, Ansleys "takers of ****", division of labour, supporting the rise of women etc

IF the question on Femminism comes - THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!
Reply 12
Original post by sallylo
What are the 'consequences for the decline in death rate' and the 'consequences for the decline in birth rate'?
I know the reasons for family diversity, what have you guys got down for the reasons for family diversity? Are sexual, ethnic, cultural and social class diversity some of the reasons for family diversity?

Consequences of decline in death rate:
Bigger aging population and therefore.......

bigger dependency ratio
Change of systems eg transport/housing/health and social care
Hirsch said there would need to be a change of policies and public opinion e.g Housing (need to downgrade or move to nursing homes in order to make room for young generations)/Employment (more skills taught to older people so they can work more)/ our public opinion (needs to change about source distribution especially as this effects how old people are perceived, as age is social construction according to Hockey and James)
Also, public opinion would change with an aging population e.g The 'pension crisis', more ageism (However Townshed argues that this is actually because of the state and it's pension policy, as older people are literally forced onto benefits and thus, in to poverty)

Also, it could be argued that it would lead to smaller families and thus, either a negative effect as Leach said, This is because there would not be a wide unit of kin that would have provided a lot of psychological help and pratical advice. However, falling death rates, according to Shorter are the reason why children are no longer neglected, and thus falling death rates creates a more child centered society.

consequences for the decline in birth rate

This again would lead to aging population and thus, the effects mentioned in paragraph 1.
Also, it could again be argued that falling birth rate means smaller families and thus, either more child centered or more conflict.
In addition to this, falling birth rates may mean that we need more female immigrants as it is their high fertility rates which stablise our population size.
Another point could be that falling birth rate leads to less of the 'double burden', and also, as Coltrane and Ishi Kuntz said, less children = more symmetrical, joint conjugal couples.

Right that was all literally off the top of my head! haha. Hope its somewhat helped!!!
Reply 13
...Off the top of your head?:eek:

Boy oh boy, looks like I have some serious revision to do..
Reply 14
Anyone wanna do a practice 24 marker with me and peer mark it? x
Reply 15
Original post by s_axo
Anyone wanna do a practice 24 marker with me and peer mark it? x

I dont mind :smile:
What topic do you have in mind ?
Reply 16
Original post by Sana210693
I dont mind :smile:
What topic do you have in mind ?

Examine the reasons for and effects of the increase in the proportion of lone parent families in Britain today :-) xx
Reply 17
Original post by s_axo

Consequences of decline in death rate:
Bigger aging population and therefore.......

bigger dependency ratio
Change of systems eg transport/housing/health and social care
Hirsch said there would need to be a change of policies and public opinion e.g Housing (need to downgrade or move to nursing homes in order to make room for young generations)/Employment (more skills taught to older people so they can work more)/ our public opinion (needs to change about source distribution especially as this effects how old people are perceived, as age is social construction according to Hockey and James)
Also, public opinion would change with an aging population e.g The 'pension crisis', more ageism (However Townshed argues that this is actually because of the state and it's pension policy, as older people are literally forced onto benefits and thus, in to poverty)

Also, it could be argued that it would lead to smaller families and thus, either a negative effect as Leach said, This is because there would not be a wide unit of kin that would have provided a lot of psychological help and pratical advice. However, falling death rates, according to Shorter are the reason why children are no longer neglected, and thus falling death rates creates a more child centered society.

consequences for the decline in birth rate

This again would lead to aging population and thus, the effects mentioned in paragraph 1.
Also, it could again be argued that falling birth rate means smaller families and thus, either more child centered or more conflict.
In addition to this, falling birth rates may mean that we need more female immigrants as it is their high fertility rates which stablise our population size.
Another point could be that falling birth rate leads to less of the 'double burden', and also, as Coltrane and Ishi Kuntz said, less children = more symmetrical, joint conjugal couples.

Right that was all literally off the top of my head! haha. Hope its somewhat helped!!!

Thanks so much! There was a past paper and it had a question on the consequences of the fall in death rate and it said on the mark scheme to refer to the Griffiths Report, Hirsch, McKeown, Townsend. I really want some notes on what they said/argued refering to the consequences of a fall in death rate.

What textbook did you use to find what Hirsch said? please reply asap! Thanks again!
Reply 18
Original post by fhar2248

Im gonna study this cuz of you i hope it comes out for your sake and mine hehe jk but thnx :biggrin:
Reply 19
I'll be sitting this exam ;D

Good luck everybody!

Quick Reply