The Student Room Group

Is Obama The Greatest US President Of All Time??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Made in the USA
What do you all think about how the supreme court is using Obama's own arguments against mandates (from when he was campaigning against Hillary Clinton) to defeat Obamacare?

I thought my previous video would generate a huge response. I thought the British loved irony.

The British do love irony, but we also know what irony means, I suggest you go and find a dictionary. :tong:
Reply 121
Original post by anarchism101
You might be quite interested to read some of Kennedy's meetings around that time. He had a disgustingly relaxed attitude to the possibility of Europe being blown to bits as long as the US came out on top.

Oh, and Vietnam, 1963 Iraq coup, Bay of Pigs, etc.

Yep, it's amazing how many people hold JFK in such high regard, I'm guessing simply because of the fact he got assassinated. I dread to think what would have happened to the world with him in charge for another 5 years.
Original post by James82
The British do love irony, but we also know what irony means, I suggest you go and find a dictionary. :tong:

Is it not ironic that the courts are using Obamas own arguments against mandates (from the Hillary/Obama debates) to defeat Obamacare?

The most amazing thing about all of this is that Obama is supposed to be a constitutional attorney, yet this is the sort of mess we'd expect from someone who never even read the US constitution, not a so-called "expert"
Reply 123
Is it not ironic that the courts are using Obamas own arguments against mandates (from the Hillary/Obama debates) to defeat Obamacare?

Yes, if that's what's happening, but that's not what your video shows, your video shows clips of Obama being hypocritical and contradictory.
Original post by James82
Yes, if that's what's happening, but that's not what your video shows, your video shows clips of Obama being hypocritical and contradictory.

The video wasn't supposed to illustrate any example of irony. I was trying to show everyone Obama's arguments against mandates which the courts are now using to defeat Obamacare, obama's signature piece of legislation. The fact that he is a constitutional attorney makes this seem like an even bigger cluster**** because even people with no legal background know its obviously illegal/unconstitutional to force people to buy insurance or face fines

Now the administration is in full spin mode, trying to rebrand mandates as a "republican idea". It's still unconstitutional no matter who thought of it first
Reply 125
He's the blackest US president of all time.

...not that black. =(
It's hard to have a discussion with British people about Obama because the British press has such a strong pro-Obama bias. Bbc flat out wont cover any story that portrays Obama in a negative light. I'm not sure why this is...maybe tey are afraid of looking racist?

For example, most britons know about watergate, but how many Britons know about the fast and furious scandal? It's a much bigger crime than watergate because actually lost their lives, but the british press won't cover the story
Reply 127
It's hard to have a discussion with British people about Obama because the British press has such a strong pro-Obama bias. Bbc flat out wont cover any story that portrays Obama in a negative light. I'm not sure why this is...maybe tey are afraid of looking racist?

For example, most britons know about watergate, but how many Britons know about the fast and furious scandal? It's a much bigger crime than watergate because actually lost their lives, but the british press won't cover the story

Well.. yeah. Where have you been for the past 20 years? :wink:

Wait what?
Disappointing jobs report. Only 115,000 jobs added. Still high unemployment.

This is given he is considered one the greatest and maybe still will be. But he needs to more than this if he wants to become the overall greatest president by some sort of landslide majority in some sort of popularity contest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129

Bro I'm as American as it gets, and I don't know about this fast and furious scandal, or whatever. But I also don't know about this "Nazi-Black" Church you claim Obama belongs to and whatever the hell other **** you talk about.

Also, I don't know much about law (and guessing by the way you write, I think I'm on a level playing field here) but it's not unconstitutional to force people to buy insurance. I'm sure you would be part of the camp of class-A ****ers who thinks that it should be illegal for gays to be married, or that birth control should be marked as contraband and shipped out of the country. That's no different. Can you please quote my uneducated soul the passage in our Constitution that says it is illegal to require Americans to buy health insurance?
Original post by arra
Bro I'm as American as it gets, and I don't know about this fast and furious scandal, or whatever. But I also don't know about this "Nazi-Black" Church you claim Obama belongs to and whatever the hell other **** you talk about.

Also, I don't know much about law (and guessing by the way you write, I think I'm on a level playing field here) but it's not unconstitutional to force people to buy insurance. I'm sure you would be part of the camp of class-A ****ers who thinks that it should be illegal for gays to be married, or that birth control should be marked as contraband and shipped out of the country. That's no different. Can you please quote my uneducated soul the passage in our Constitution that says it is illegal to require Americans to buy health insurance?

I don't mind educating you since you obviously don't follow the news at all. The black klansman that was Obama's mentor is a man named Reverend Wright. You can listen to some of his surmons on youtube. Obama sat in his church for 20 years.

As for our constitution, obamacare violates the constitution's equal protection clause. It also violates the Constitution’s commerce clause by attempting to compel individuals to involuntarily enter the stream of commerce.
Reply 131
yh definitely
Original post by arra
Can you please quote my uneducated soul the passage in our Constitution that says it is illegal to require Americans to buy health insurance?

I found the perfect video to help educate you on our constitution. A former New Jersey Superior Court Judge on why Obamacare is illegal.

It also violates the Constitution’s commerce clause by attempting to compel individuals to involuntarily enter the stream of commerce.

So do taxes and legal tender laws. 'Constitutionality' has become a sub-ideology.
Original post by anarchism101
So do taxes and legal tender laws. 'Constitutionality' has become a sub-ideology.

The arguments that the 16th amendment was never ratified are nonsense. I've also never seen an argument against the constitutionality of legal tender laws that holds water.

Obamacare is a clear violation of our constitution on at several grounds:
-not all states are treated equally
-requires people requires people to buy a product (health care) they may not want.
-requires religious institutions to violate their religious principles is a violation of the first amendment
(edited 11 years ago)
The arguments that the 16th amendment was never ratified are nonsense. I've also never seen an argument against the constitutionality of legal tender laws that holds water.

Obamacare is a clear violation of our constitution on at several grounds:
-not all states are treated equally
-requires people requires people to buy a product (health care) they may not want.
-requires religious institutions to violate their religious principles is a violation of the first amendment

I wasn't going to argue about the 16th amendment. In fact, income tax is just about the only tax that wouldn't force you into anything extra because your income would already have to be in dollars. Any tax or legal tender law compels you to have a certain type of money, and therefore forces you into the stream of commerce.
Greatest of all time no.

Worth re-electing yes. And the American people will vote him back in.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Greatest of all time no.

Worth re-electing yes. And the American people will vote him back in.

As I say Obama's approval ratings aren't great. 46% on gallup right now, no one has been elected lower than 48%.

Now he probably will get relected, but compared to Ronald Reagan and Clinton, his approval ratings are poor. They were near the 60s now and both topped over 70% in their second terms.
Original post by Sharpshooter
As I say Obama's approval ratings aren't great. 46% on gallup right now, no one has been elected lower than 48%.

Now he probably will get relected, but compared to Ronald Reagan and Clinton, his approval ratings are poor. They were near the 60s now and both topped over 70% in their second terms.

Thats probably a consequence of a couple of things, a very difficult economic situation where most people are grumpy and disillusioned, and also the fact Obama was hyped up as the new Messiah and reality was very different. So a lot of people will vent their disappointment that Obama hasn't been able to deliver the expectations that were built up in 2008. But when it comes to the election people will have to make the decision who will be best in a difficult situation, Obama or Romney, and Obama will win. The Republicans are very weak at the moment and the field of candidates was bare.

Reagan and Clinton enjoyed more popularity because of their personal charm (which Obama also has) but at a time when the US economy was doing well, although Reagan was doing it by offering tax cuts and making up the difference by running up deficits so he left a mess for George Bush. The economy did very well under Clinton and he remained popular no matter how much the moralists threw at him over Monica Lewinsky.
Yeah Obama's down to mid 40s on gallup, Reagan and Clinton are crushing him right now, the ones he's being compared with.

To be considered the greatest ever, his approval ratings will have to comfortabley beat those guys IMO. Very poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending