The Student Room Group

Is this job a scam?

Okay so basically I sent my CV to Eco safe solutions for a trainee management poisition in Stoke-on-Trent and I've got an interview on Friday. The job description stated that no experience was needed. After researching on the internet I've come across articles claiming that similar jobs like these are part of a scam. I don't know what to do. Can anyone provide an insight into this please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If this job is a scam who should I report it to?
I just googled Eco safe solutions and reed are recruiting to them, so I doubt it would be a scam. But if it is, then just forward me your details please and I'll send it to head office.
why dont u go to the interview, check it out if it feels wrong, dont give any personal details and just leave, but not really heard of this company before :redface:
Reply 4
Apparently this is the website:http://ecosafe-solutions.com/, It has recently become unavailable which adds to my suspicion that this is a scam.
Reply 5
Seems legit.
Reply 6
Original post by tupac1111
Okay so basically I sent my CV to Eco safe solutions for a trainee management poisition in Stoke-on-Trent and I've got an interview on Friday. The job description stated that no experience was needed. After researching on the internet I've come across articles claiming that similar jobs like these are part of a scam. I don't know what to do. Can anyone provide an insight into this please?

Something seems fishy that's for sure. I wouldn't go to the interview just in case if I were you. :smile:
In all seriousness, where did you find out they were hiring? From the website which has now vanished? They don't seem to have any sort of Wikipedia page and I can't seem to find very much information on them, I would probably give it a miss. Here's the information from the direct.gov which will help you out.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Protectyourselffromscams/index.htm
Reply 8
1) Send CV in for a marketing/management type job with no experience required. They promise you the world.
2) Get a phone call the very same day/next day from the secretary. They are very keen to get you in for interview quite soonish
3) You get excited and start preparing. The website is minimal at best. Alarm bells start to ring a little but hey it's a trainee management job!!!
4) Go to interview all suited and booted. See secretary. He/she gives you a clipboard and form to fill in. Information that is clearly on your CV!!
5) One of the 'managers' calls you into interview. I've heard stories of two or three people being interviewed at a time.
6) Tells you how amazing the company is and how you'll be making big bucks within a couple of years or less.
7) Tells you how there's been a lot of interest in the role and how competition is rife. They have 40 CVs and will only choose, say, 8 for 2nd day of interviews. They'll call you that night.
8) They call you. You've got through! You feel awesome. Tomorrow you will go and observe one of the members of staff and they'll feed back to the manager at the end of the day to confirm whether it's yes or no.
9) The next day, you go into the office and notice most of the people who were in the waiting room yesterday anyway. You get assigned a member of staff (can't remember the term they used).
10 You head for the car park (if you're lucky - sometimes you'll find yourself buying your own train or bus ticket). Are you going to some fancy boardroom meeting like on the Apprentice? Nope, you head to some council estate to do door to door sales lol - e.g. getting people to switch to TalkTalk.
11) If you take the job, there are no fixed earnings. It's based on how many sales you make. Long hours, most likely make a loss. I could go on to talk about the weird meetings they have in the mornings but it's late and there are plenty of stories online.

LOL I was so naive when I first graduated. I'm ashamed to say I was there for two days. I should have got out of there before I even went to the interview. Just for fun though, go to the interview as see if you get a similar experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lots of companies don't have websites or have website issues now and then.
Wiki is not a source of anything, never mind as a business finder.
You do not need experience for every job - and you haven't said what the job is.
Reed do not tend to recruit for scam companies. It makes them look bad.
You don't know it is a scam as you've not been for an interview and are basing your thoughts on 'articles'.

Go to the interview and make a more informed call then.
Never do work that's commission only.
Reply 11
I've just had a look at the building and it doesn't even have a company logo. I don't think I'll be going for the interview.
Reply 12

Based on one of their adverts:

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/JUNIOR-PROPERTY-SURVEYOR--_job53367437

It's door to door sales of various energy efficiency products.

Note:

.. your initial earnings are based on completed customer approvals

So it's commission only.

As a rule, companies do not offer trainee management positions to people with no experience.
I've just had a look at the building and it doesn't even have a company logo. I don't think I'll be going for the interview.

Seriously? Thousands of businesses have rented offices in buildings without anything on the outside of them. If you judge potential employers by their exterior signs, you will never work anywhere other than shops, petrol stations or fast food joints!
Reply 14
This isn't a scam per se. This is typically the way direct field marketing companies hire.

Is it deceptive? Yes, a little bit but to be honest, once you get a tiny bit of job hunting experience - you will be able to tell straight away which ads are the ones for call centres, door-to-door, chugging etc.

It isn't a big deal.
Reply 15
Also I cannot find any information online about the manager who contacted me nor the person who's supposed to be interviewing me. Surely there is something wrong here.
Also I cannot find any information online about the manager who contacted me nor the person who's supposed to be interviewing me. Surely there is something wrong here.

:yes:
Original post by ghanglish
1) Send CV in for a marketing/management type job with no experience required. They promise you the world.
2) Get a phone call the very same day/next day from the secretary. They are very keen to get you in for interview quite soonish
3) You get excited and start preparing. The website is minimal at best. Alarm bells start to ring a little but hey it's a trainee management job!!!
4) Go to interview all suited and booted. See secretary. He/she gives you a clipboard and form to fill in. Information that is clearly on your CV!!
5) One of the 'managers' calls you into interview. I've heard stories of two or three people being interviewed at a time.
6) Tells you how amazing the company is and how you'll be making big bucks within a couple of years or less.
7) Tells you how there's been a lot of interest in the role and how competition is rife. They have 40 CVs and will only choose, say, 8 for 2nd day of interviews. They'll call you that night.
8) They call you. You've got through! You feel awesome. Tomorrow you will go and observe one of the members of staff and they'll feed back to the manager at the end of the day to confirm whether it's yes or no.
9) The next day, you go into the office and notice most of the people who were in the waiting room yesterday anyway. You get assigned a member of staff (can't remember the term they used).
10 You head for the car park (if you're lucky - sometimes you'll find yourself buying your own train or bus ticket). Are you going to some fancy boardroom meeting like on the Apprentice? Nope, you head to some council estate to do door to door sales lol - e.g. getting people to switch to TalkTalk.
11) If you take the job, there are no fixed earnings. It's based on how many sales you make. Long hours, most likely make a loss. I could go on to talk about the weird meetings they have in the mornings but it's late and there are plenty of stories online.

LOL I was so naive when I first graduated. I'm ashamed to say I was there for two days. I should have got out of there before I even went to the interview. Just for fun though, go to the interview as see if you get a similar experience.

Very accurate description of these companies. I was lucky enough to turn them down.
Reply 18
Eco safe is one of the fastest selling eco cleaning ranges in variety of shops - is in my local Waitrose. Not sure about door-to-door aspect though !! :-/
Reply 19

No. Not at all. Most companies don't publish details of mid-managers and secretaries online. There is absolutely nothing fishy about that at all.

You are just naive and unexperienced in job seeking. Everything you have described is typical for how direct marketing companies recruit. It is not a scam - it is just an advert for a job you don't want.

The advert you responded to was so vague that it begs the question - what did you expect?

I am sure you will now be aware that nine times out ten - jobs offering trainee supervisor/manager roles without any more information and without requiring any experience are generally jobs in call centres or direct field marketing (i.e. door-to-door sales). To be fair - 'trainee manager' isn't even that disingenuous - generally, you start of doing sales and if you can hack it and do well you would very quickly rise to a supervisory position. The fact is that
i) Most people just can't stand those type of jobs and
ii) Even if they can stand them - most people aren't able to sell enough to support themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending