Do 5/3/1
Reply 21
Original post by RawJoh1
LOL.

x2
Reply 22
Original post by RawJoh1
LOL.

By that I meant people who don't lift weights and people on rubbish/inappropriate programs.
Reply 23
Original post by tooosh
By that I meant people who don't lift weights and people on rubbish/inappropriate programs.

The set of people in the world is rather bigger than [powerlifters, people on rubbish programmes, untrained individuals] haha. In any case, I see people all the time who are on rubbish programmes who can bench more than your average person after a run of SS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by RawJoh1
The set of people in the world is rather bigger than [powerlifters, people on rubbish programmes, untrained individuals haha]

So what other sets of people can be considered strong?
Reply 25
Original post by RawJoh1
The set of people in the world is rather bigger than [powerlifters, people on rubbish programmes, untrained individuals haha]

You know what I meant, there's no point in being pedantic. If you're suggesting I'm wrong and that the average person squats a sizable chunk above bodyweight, if technique was to be taught, then say so. Not everyone is a manual labourer and there aren't many subsets of people who can match that strength who don't weight train.
Reply 26
Original post by Dark Horse
So what other sets of people can be considered strong?

Strongmen, pro bodybuilders, oly lifters etc

And there a lots of strong guys just knocking about who never compete in strength sports, never compete in BBing, they just like lifting weights.
tooosh
You know what I meant, there's no point in being pedantic. If you're suggesting I'm wrong and that the average person squats a sizable chunk above bodyweight, if technique was to be taught, then say so. Not everyone is a manual labourer and there aren't many subsets of people who can match that strength who don't weight train.

Aye just yanking youur chain now. I agree that SS will probably get you stronger than someone of similar bodyweight who's never trained before.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by RawJoh1
Strongmen, pro bodybuilders, oly lifters etc

And there a lots of strong guys just knocking about who never compete in strength sports, never compete in BBing, they just like lifting weights.

Aye just yanking youur chain now. I agree that SS will get you stronger than someone of similar bodyweight who's never trained before.

It will get you ALOT stronger than someone who hasn't trained before. That is obvious. But there's a time equation as always.
Reply 28
Haven't read the replies but a natural follow up is 5/3/1. 'Boring but Big' fits your criteria well.

The most important thing is not what program you do but that you push yourself really hard. If you aren't pushing yourself to lift more every week, even when you feel like sh*t, then your progress will be crap, no matter what program you are on.

I'm no expert, but your routine looks a mess. also, what are your lifts like?

edit: just seen somebody say 5/3/1. stop worrying over the details and lift.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by el.cheese
Haven't read the replies but a natural follow up is 5/3/1. 'Boring but Big' fits your criteria well.

The most important thing is not what program you do but that you push yourself really hard. If you aren't pushing yourself to lift more every week, even when you feel like sh*t, then your progress will be crap, no matter what program you are on.

I'm no expert, but your routine looks a mess. also, what are your lifts like?

edit: just seen somebody say 5/3/1. stop worrying over the details and lift.

60kg bw, 95kg sq, 52.5kg bench, 125kg dead. But this program isn't for now, it's for when I'm done.

Edit: and is it really that messy? 2 strength days, 2 hypertrophy days on chest/shoulders and back/legs/abs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by tooosh
60kg bw, 95kg sq, 52.5kg bench, 125kg dead. But this program isn't for now, it's for when I'm done.

Your squat (if atg) & dl are very strong compared to bench (like me). Your biggest problem is probably your bw right now. i started off at about that weight and was incredibly skinny and also much weaker than you. Are you eating lots?

Personally, i would say do ss or similar strength routine until you're benching 90kg, squatting 140 etc. curls etc can be done on the side but if you can row 100kg/chin up with 40kg on a belt then you will have big biceps (and turn heads in the gym). if you start doing high reps/isolation now, you will plateau soon and probably quit from boredom.

Sorry, the routine isn't really too bad, but you seem to be overthinking things: basically eat over maintenance, add weight to your lifts and push youself into the ground every session. everything else makes only small differences. There is a reason why programs by rippetoe/wendler/layne etc are so popular and its because they work. there's no need to reinvent the wheel!
If you did want to try something different, have you heard of 20 rep squats?

edit: with the routine you posted, you would probably find bb pressing 3x every 8 days takes its toll quickly. Also, you are doing more shoulder raises than bench presses and more curls than pull ups. if you can't do 8 pull ups/dips then you're not going to improve much doing them just once a week. also, why only the three exercises for legs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by tooosh

Edit: and is it really that messy? 2 strength days, 2 hypertrophy days on chest/shoulders and back/legs/abs.

Could you possibly add dips on the non-bench press days to help with that?
Reply 32
Could you possibly add dips on the non-bench press days to help with that?

dude do u even lift?
Reply 33
dude do u even lift?

Do you even misc?
Reply 34
Your squat (if atg) & dl are very strong compared to bench (like me). Your biggest problem is probably your bw right now. i started off at about that weight and was incredibly skinny and also much weaker than you. Are you eating lots?

Personally, i would say do ss or similar strength routine until you're benching 90kg, squatting 140 etc. curls etc can be done on the side but if you can row 100kg/chin up with 40kg on a belt then you will have big biceps (and turn heads in the gym). if you start doing high reps/isolation now, you will plateau soon and probably quit from boredom.

Sorry, the routine isn't really too bad, but you seem to be overthinking things: basically eat over maintenance, add weight to your lifts and push youself into the ground every session. everything else makes only small differences. There is a reason why programs by rippetoe/wendler/layne etc are so popular and its because they work. there's no need to reinvent the wheel!
If you did want to try something different, have you heard of 20 rep squats?

edit: with the routine you posted, you would probably find bb pressing 3x every 8 days takes its toll quickly. Also, you are doing more shoulder raises than bench presses and more curls than pull ups. if you can't do 8 pull ups/dips then you're not going to improve much doing them just once a week. also, why only the three exercises for legs?

Squat isn't atg but it is far below parallel. I know my bench sucks, same with OHP (37.5) no idea why. I'm eating 3000cals which is bulking region for me but I haven't gained a pound in weeks. I actually started at around 53kg and the only time I made any weight gain (of 7kg) was when I was doing 1/2 GOMAD and since the holidays are coming up I'm gonna give that another shot. It was hard fitting all the farting in with 24 hours of lectures/week :tongue:

I'm planning on milking SS for all I can get, whether that means a 140kg squat we will see. I have heard of the 20rep squat but I'm too much of a pussy to go heavy on that.

As for the routine I made, leg exercises are low since I don't care much for hypertrophy on the legs. Even before I started training they were really large. The program I made assumes that no strength will be gained from hypertrophy days (which isn't true but makes progression on strength days easier to consider).

Hmm, options.
Reply 35
Original post by tooosh
Squat isn't atg but it is far below parallel. I know my bench sucks, same with OHP (37.5) no idea why. I'm eating 3000cals which is bulking region for me but I haven't gained a pound in weeks. I actually started at around 53kg and the only time I made any weight gain (of 7kg) was when I was doing 1/2 GOMAD and since the holidays are coming up I'm gonna give that another shot. It was hard fitting all the farting in with 24 hours of lectures/week :tongue:

I'm planning on milking SS for all I can get, whether that means a 140kg squat we will see. I have heard of the 20rep squat but I'm too much of a pussy to go heavy on that.

As for the routine I made, leg exercises are low since I don't care much for hypertrophy on the legs. Even before I started training they were really large. The program I made assumes that no strength will be gained from hypertrophy days (which isn't true but makes progression on strength days easier to consider).

Hmm, options.

If you're not gaining weight it sounds as if you are not eating enough. Everyone's different and you've just got to find what's best for your body
be careful with GOMAD. you will put on weight but I found it made me feel bloated and the dairy can give you problems with acne too. And i think a lot of the weight was just water weight because it dropped off when i stopped gomad. Try upping your fats -eg use loads of olive oil on everything, or have peanut butter between meals, eat chicken thighs not breasts (whole chickens are a cheap source of protein).

If you can still add weight to your lifts every session, then you will obviously progress faster doing everything twice a week, like with a lower/upper split. I would also do at least one strength exercise per workout, as you will progress quicker that way. also, work on getting your dips/chinups up (try greasing the groove) - once you reach 10 or so, add weight. When you can add 20kg onto a belt and do them, you'll fly up without the weight. between them they hit every upper body muscle too.

Just remember that its not going to be a quick fix. you're not going to be 'swole' by this summer, unfortunately (well, not naturally), so don't worry too much about isolating all the beach muscles just yet. As you're a beginner, you will grow plenty just from getting stronger. plenty of guys come in the gym and just do lots of machines/isolation yet they're the smallest there, and they usually quit after a couple of months. don't be that guy.
Reply 36
If you're not gaining weight it sounds as if you are not eating enough. Everyone's different and you've just got to find what's best for your body
be careful with GOMAD. you will put on weight but I found it made me feel bloated and the dairy can give you problems with acne too. And i think a lot of the weight was just water weight because it dropped off when i stopped gomad. Try upping your fats -eg use loads of olive oil on everything, or have peanut butter between meals, eat chicken thighs not breasts (whole chickens are a cheap source of protein).

If you can still add weight to your lifts every session, then you will obviously progress faster doing everything twice a week, like with a lower/upper split. I would also do at least one strength exercise per workout, as you will progress quicker that way. also, work on getting your dips/chinups up (try greasing the groove) - once you reach 10 or so, add weight. When you can add 20kg onto a belt and do them, you'll fly up without the weight. between them they hit every upper body muscle too.

Just remember that its not going to be a quick fix. you're not going to be 'swole' by this summer, unfortunately (well, not naturally), so don't worry too much about isolating all the beach muscles just yet. As you're a beginner, you will grow plenty just from getting stronger. plenty of guys come in the gym and just do lots of machines/isolation yet they're the smallest there, and they usually quit after a couple of months. don't be that guy.

I'd be wary of that. Going balls deep with dips is an excellent way of injuring your shoulder.
Reply 37
I'd be wary of that. Going balls deep with dips is an excellent way of injuring your shoulder.

fair point, but worked for me with pull ups
Reply 38

I know haha, I already squat more and deeper than almost all the rugby players in the uni gym. I'm not planning on doing GOMAD, I'm lactose sensitive, 1/2 GOMAD worked before and it's what I'm planning. Even then I'll have to work up slowly. I kept all my weight gain after I stopped the milk so not sure what will happen this time.
I replied about nutrition on my blog.
I'm not planning on moving on from SS for a good few months at least. This was just me wondering what I'd do when I'm done instead of revising.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by tooosh
I know haha, I already squat more and deeper than almost all the rugby players in the uni gym. I'm not planning on doing GOMAD, I'm lactose sensitive, 1/2 GOMAD worked before and it's what I'm planning. Even then I'll have to work up slowly. I kept all my weight gain after I stopped the milk so not sure what will happen this time.
I replied about nutrition on my blog.
I'm not planning on moving on from SS for a good few months at least. This was just me wondering what I'd do when I'm done instead of revising.

What weights are you aiming for in your lifts before you move off SS?

Quick Reply