The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to move into halls without parents permission?

Ok so basically, my parents are strict muslims and I made the stupid decision of actually listening to them when applying to unis

I've decided that enough is enough I'm old enough to make my own decisions.

So, instead of moving in with mu aunts I've decided that I'm going to move into the uni halls.

There's a chance my parents wont support me through it though. I don't know if its a stupid decision

Plus, I was thinking of working my butt off now. Then calling up unis on results day that have a better course.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you can get the finances without your parents support and you are over 18 there is no reason for you not to. However, you must consider how your parents would react for when you return home during holidays, assuming that that iswhat you would do.
Reply 2
Just try telling them? Or isn't that an option?
Well you could by all means move into halls but where do you intend to live between 1st and 2nd year and then between 2nd and 3rd year? You'll have the summer months - June-August - with no where to live unless you made enough money to get a modest (by modest I mean typically dingy) student flat. If you could live with your Aunts in the summer months then that solves the problem though.
Reply 4
Original post by Ggardener66
If you can get the finances without your parents support and you are over 18 there is no reason for you not to. However, you must consider how your parents would react for when you return home during holidays, assuming that that iswhat you would do.

Yeah I'm over 18 and I guess I'll sort my finances out too. To be honest.. my parents won't be happy whatsoever. Even it gets to the point where they refuse to speak to me. I guess I'll have to sort out my own accomodation
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I'm over 18 and I guess I'll sort my finances out too. To be honest.. my parents won't be happy whatsoever. Even it gets to the point where they refuse to speak to me. I guess I'll have to sort out my own accomodation

Nah they'll come around, parents always do. They definitely won't be happy but not just because you're moving into uni halls but because you didn't talk it out with them. If you talk it out and explain where you stand, they will be much more understanding rather than you suddenly saying "Ahh i'm moving into uni halls". You are an adult now, the least you can do is act like an adult when it comes to your parents.
Reply 6
No you don't need parental permission. Do you think there is any way of bringing them around to your thinking? Otherwise you'll still need somewhere to go if your accommodation contract doesn't cover Christmas and Easter holidays.

You'd need somewhere at least to go back to in summer, unless your the uni allows students to live in halls over summer due to circumstances like not having anywhere to go back to. You'd need to contact them to see if they allowed this though in which you'd have to fill in some forms at some point towards the end of first year I imagine.
Reply 7

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with this; the whole preparing for uni process is stressful enough without resistance from your parents!

Honestly, I'd say do what you want. There is nothing to stop you legally. And at the end of the day, it's a decision that will affect the 3+ years while you're at uni. Explain to your parents by all means, but tell them, don't ask them. If they've not been accepting so far, then it's not like you haven't given them a chance.

All the best.
Reply 8
Original post by Arusa01
Just try telling them? Or isn't that an option?

I have told them many times. Its always a no. They won't let me move into halls cause their worried about my safety. Plus they dont like the free mixing

Original post by somethingbeautiful
Well you could by all means move into halls but where do you intend to live between 1st and 2nd year and then between 2nd and 3rd year? You'll have the summer months - June-August - with no where to live unless you made enough money to get a modest (by modest I mean typically dingy) student flat. If you could live with your Aunts in the summer months then that solves the problem though.

Well... it depends on my parents reaction. If they accept it I'll come home. If not then I'm screwed :frown:
Reply 9

Without your parents cooperation it might be very difficult to get yourself assessed for the means tested loan. I hate to say it but despite you being an adult your parents still have significant control over your life.

I suggest pushing them as far as you possibly can without getting chucked out the family home or losing their (grudging) cooperation.

Then tell them to **** off the second you're financially stable after Uni.
Reply 10
theres nothing they can do to stop you but bare in mind the financial and social ramifications if they cut you out of the family or something like that for going against their wishes.
i am curious why they want you to live with you aunt though?
Reply 11
Ok so basically, my parents are strict muslims and I made the stupid decision of actually listening to them when applying to unis

I've decided that enough is enough I'm old enough to make my own decisions.

So, instead of moving in with mu aunts I've decided that I'm going to move into the uni halls.

There's a chance my parents wont support me through it though. I don't know if its a stupid decision

Plus, I was thinking of working my butt off now. Then calling up unis on results day that have a better course.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

I have seen loads of Muslims in halls, even ones who are proper practicing Muslims.
Reply 12
Original post by JongKey
Nah they'll come around, parents always do. They definitely won't be happy but not just because you're moving into uni halls but because you didn't talk it out with them. If you talk it out and explain where you stand, they will be much more understanding rather than you suddenly saying "Ahh i'm moving into uni halls". You are an adult now, the least you can do is act like an adult when it comes to your parents.

It's like talking to a brick wall, they won't listen to me. It's a definite no

Original post by KJane
No you don't need parental permission. Do you think there is any way of bringing them around to your thinking? Otherwise you'll still need somewhere to go if your accommodation contract doesn't cover Christmas and Easter holidays.

You'd need somewhere at least to go back to in summer, unless your the uni allows students to live in halls over summer due to circumstances like not having anywhere to go back to. You'd need to contact them to see if they allowed this though in which you'd have to fill in some forms at some point towards the end of first year I imagine.

I've tried and my mum always says " I'll get a flat and live with you there" -__- what is even more frustrating is that my brother is living in halls. Its only cause I'm a girl. Thanks for that. I'll check that out :smile:

Original post by sammy-lou
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with this; the whole preparing for uni process is stressful enough without resistance from your parents!

Honestly, I'd say do what you want. There is nothing to stop you legally. And at the end of the day, it's a decision that will affect the 3+ years while you're at uni. Explain to your parents by all means, but tell them, don't ask them. If they've not been accepting so far, then it's not like you haven't given them a chance.

Hmm thats true. Its just that I have the choice to live with my aunts and go to the same uni. But I dont want to, I need my own space.

All the best.
OP, why do I think you're a troll?
Reply 14
Original post by Norton1
Without your parents cooperation it might be very difficult to get yourself assessed for the means tested loan. I hate to say it but despite you being an adult your parents still have significant control over your life.

I suggest pushing them as far as you possibly can without getting chucked out the family home or losing their (grudging) cooperation.

Then tell them to **** off the second you're financially stable after Uni.

Hmm thats true.. so u would advice me not to move into halls? Cause of the whole finace thing
Reply 15
Original post by reuse-this-bag
OP, why do I think you're a troll?

Lool I can assure you I am not a troll. Real question.
Reply 16
Original post by cl_steele
theres nothing they can do to stop you but bare in mind the financial and social ramifications if they cut you out of the family or something like that for going against their wishes.
i am curious why they want you to live with you aunt though?

The uni I'm moving to is where my aunt lives.. That's the only reason I could apply
Reply 17
Hmm thats true.. so u would advice me not to move into halls? Cause of the whole finace thing

I don't think I can really tell you what to do, you know your parents better than I do. If they refuse to support you then basically you can't do it anyway.

If - as it seems - you've applied to less well recognised Universities because of your parents it might be worth taking a gap year and reapplying and maybe work on them in the interim. Would it be possible - even - to move into a private flat with only other girls or a one bed flat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Iqbal007
I have seen loads of Muslims in halls, even ones who are proper practicing Muslims.

Unfortunately, my mum thinks its against islam to move into halls. Caue i need someone to protect me or something

I dunno if this is true
Reply 19
Original post by Iqbal007

This.

I have told them many times. Its always a no. They won't let me move into halls cause their worried about my safety. Plus they dont like the free mixing

That's pretty normal for your parents to be worried about you, but they have to let you go and LIVE your not a child no more. I'm guessing you're a girl? Muslim parents are more protective of the girl than the boy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending