The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by EffKayy
HAHAHA!! I know we actually did argue all the time LOOL.

How's revision for this and what are you doing..? I'm doing schiz and addiction. Hate addiction, but the rest is ok.

And oh ok :smile: hope the questions are much nicer this time =]

Lolit was defo all good jokes thoooo. I guess it was jusrt stress of exams and hormones were buzzin!

This one is even worse, cos it's much diffuclt, and the content is larger.
I'm doing schizphrenia, which is relatively small. But Media, is quite large, but common sense..but u still goto learn it..
yeah addiction seems difficult..
how you finding research methods?

Lol no such thing as nice question...(hope they ask the ones we revised :biggrin:) just praayyyyy

Original post by RachelM94
Oh got that's brave, my psychology teacher would have my head on a stick if I decided to learn something different :L Ah I don't dare guess which are gonna come up incase that happens to me, I'm such a wuss :L I'd rather just know them all and feel confident (ish) anbout any essay :L

Oooh I'd prefer psychological over biological definitaly! :O What kind of teacher does that? surely they can't expect you to get past questions right if you haven't gone over everything before? :L Have you got your notes from when you did research methods at AS? they halped me out loads cause they let me recap on what i'd already learnt :smile:

ahaha, yeah.most of my teachers dont deserve the respect. But there are some really good teacherd as well, whoi'm extra nice too..:smile: :smile:

I knoo lol, thats good. But i had no choice, so i took that HUGe risk,and it didnt really pay off!

lool thats standard in our school. Also note that it's in the 2nd rank from the bottom in the whole of north of england :tongue:
yeah i like psychologty and biology, i find the sicen part interesting, since i miss me science!!
lol i got rid of ma notes from ASthinking, i got rid of it for ever!!! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 781
Those of you doing sz, a quick question.
For the psychological explanations of sz does the sociocultural factors count as 1 explanation or is it part of another explanation . And if it isn't an explanation, how do you add it in to an essay?
Reply 782
Original post by EffKayy
The exam itself is 2hours, meaning 1 hour for research methods, and half an hour for the essays really. But I don't think research methods actually takes an hour to complete - meaning more time for the essays =)

My plan is about forty minutes per essay, throw in some planning time and then work through research methods; it's thirty five marks but they questions are short and choppy, in my practice papers I can do them in no time ;D
Hey, does anyone know what came up as a question on schizophrenia from jan 2012 many thanks :smile:
Original post by laurentommo
Hey, does anyone know what came up as a question on schizophrenia from jan 2012 many thanks :smile:

Discuss issues associated with the classification and/or diagnosis of schizophrenia. (8 marks + 16 marks)
Reply 785
Does anyone have any predictions on what might come up for addictive behaviour or schizophrenia? Hoping they ask something about interventions for addictive behaviour :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 786
Original post by 19941994
Does anyone have any predictions on what might come up for addictive behaviour or schizophrenia? Hoping they ask something about interventions for addictive behaviour :s-smilie:

Schiz -
Clinical characteristics (4)
Psychological therapies (20) .
Could be biological but most likely psychological.

Addiction -
Theory of planned behaviour hasnt ever come up.
Also the role of media might come up, as well as biological interventions :smile:
Reply 787
Original post by laurentommo

Issues surrounding classification and diagnosis.
Reply 788
For the evaluation of therapies, for schizophrenia, is it purely on appropriateness and effectiveness because I don't know how else really to evaluate them, maybe throw in some IDA and methodological/ethical issues with supporting research?
Reply 789
Original post by Robert McGeachan
For the evaluation of therapies, for schizophrenia, is it purely on appropriateness and effectiveness because I don't know how else really to evaluate them, maybe throw in some IDA and methodological/ethical issues with supporting research?

I would like to know this as well.
Reply 790
Original post by EffKayy
Schiz -
Clinical characteristics (4)
Psychological therapies (20) .
Could be biological but most likely psychological.

Addiction -
Theory of planned behaviour hasnt ever come up.
Also the role of media might come up, as well as biological interventions :smile:

Thank you!! :smile: do you think it's unlikely that there will be a question on biological explanations for addictive behaviour? Also is TPB part of the cognitive model? I've never seen a question on the cognitive model on any past papers

Reply 791
Any tips for the probability and significance info for research methods???
heyyy guys.

Im doin depression and addiction. and my addiction teacher has... well... not taught us well.. :frown:
Does anyone have or know where i can get good info/notes on theory of planned behaviour, psy interventions, biological inteventions and public health interventions.

Thanks in advance for any help. :biggrin:
Reply 793
For media, I'm not sure about what might come up, but I'm pretty sure intense fandom (celebrity worship/celebrity stalking won't come up)

as in January 2012 "Outline and evaluate research into celebrity stalking" (4 + 6)
and in June 2011 "Outline and evaluate findings of research into intense fandom" (4 + 6)

I hope this topic doesn't come up anyway :biggrin:

But just in case, does anyone have any notes on celebrity stalking (not celebrity worship) as the new spec says to focus on the stalking of celebrities and my teacher only taught us about stalking in general :/
Reply 794
Original post by Robert McGeachan

Original post by DaHogz
I would like to know this as well.

Definately include IDA say how Biological therapies (for example) don't take things like home environments into account (e.g. double bind theory, Expressed emotion ect.) Hence the theory behind the therapy is reductionist as It states schizophrenia is only caused by biological/genetic factors and so the therapy may not target everything that may cause the disorder

But yeah include supporting research too, There's a main study (for biological therapies) by Davis et al - looking at placebo effects, Then you can always evaluate placebo effects using Ross and Read's idea of why placebo tests aren't valid. And yep, definately use ethical issues and synoptic links :smile:
Hope that helps a bit :biggrin:
Reply 795
Here is my predictions, based on the last 6 papers:

Depression - Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations

Addiction - Cognitive models, TPB, Role of Media
If anyones doing phobias- the issues of reliability and validity might come up as a 24 marker, my teacher said that question would not be more than 10 marks but I looked at the schizophrenia question for jan 2012 and it did come as a 24 marker ...so its possible
Reply 797
Original post by gloomyrainbow
heyyy guys.

Im doin depression and addiction. and my addiction teacher has... well... not taught us well.. :frown:
Does anyone have or know where i can get good info/notes on theory of planned behaviour, psy interventions, biological inteventions and public health interventions.

Thanks in advance for any help. :biggrin:

http://psychology4a.com/addiction%204.htm

That website has really good addiction notes :smile:

Reply 798
Original post by Heyimdec
Here is my predictions, based on the last 6 papers:

Depression - Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations

Addiction - Cognitive models, TPB, Role of Media

If we get a question on cognitive models, would we just write about self-regulation and the TPB?
:smile:

Reply 799
Original post by RachelM94
Then you can always evaluate placebo effects using Ross and Read's idea of why placebo tests aren't valid.

Could you explain this please? :biggrin:!

Original post by 19941994
If we get a question on cognitive models, would we just write about self-regulation and the TPB?
:smile:

For the Cognitive Model, I have three models:
- Beck et al's Vicious Cycle
- Self-Medication Model
- Expectancy Theory

We learnt about the TPB as a separate topic but I do suppose it has some Cognitive elements to it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending