The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're annoying and ridgid.
Reply 2
they're fine. appeals system is a bit of a mess but there's not a lot else wrong with them.

also they aren't small time modular exams.
Reply 3
LuhLah
They're annoying and ridgid.

Oh ok i cant PM you your inbox is full
Reply 4
music102
Oh ok i cant PM you your inbox is full

I'll clear it out :smile: Try now
Reply 5
They're ok, they deserve more respect than English qualifications in my opinion because they aren't modular, ie you can't fail one aspect of the course then resit it which seems pretty pointless to me. That said, Highers are a bit easy to be the gateway to universities in Scotland, A levels are harder in that regard but Advanced Highers can be taken in Scotland to go to an English university.

Ok well that was mostly rambling but i hope you can make enough sense out of it :biggrin:
Reply 6
I think standard grades should be totally scrapped. Intermediates are the way forward baby.
Reply 7
thye're fine, I suppose. stressful, when it comes to the deadlines, but not too bad if you work hard enough.
Reply 8
Standard Grades are a joke, i mean literally everyone passes to some extent (even although this depends on your idea of 'passes' haha :p: ) I'm glad they're getting scrapped for Intermediates tbh. Standard Grades aren't a good stepping stone for going onto to do Highers in many subjects.

Highers are alright i guess...
Standard grades are a piece of piss. Intermediates are marginally better. Highers are good - just a shame most schools don't offer that many Advanced Highers. That, and the fact that it's not modular, doesn't have resits, and doesn't have January exams certainly makes it harder than AS/A2-level.

That said, at my school at least there was far too much emphasis on getting people through the Highers for the sake of them having Highers, with little in the way of resources for Advanced Highers.
Standard grades are a joke. They should be kept to one year or even int 2's should be taught instead.

I hate how I was limited in choice on the stuff i could do - i.e we could only pick 2 sciences (out of chem, bio and phys) in standard grade and highers.
Reply 11
matthew93
Standard Grades are a joke, i mean literally everyone passes to some extent (even although this depends on your idea of 'passes' haha :p: ) I'm glad they're getting scrapped for Intermediates tbh. Standard Grades aren't a good stepping stone for going onto to do Highers in many subjects.

Highers are alright i guess...

The Ints are getting scrapped too afaik.
Reply 12
I think they're the bees knees.
I'm not studying in Scotland but i'm posting here, what you gonna do about it? :nutcase:
Reply 14
music102
Well a simple poll do you study in Scotland if yeah what do you think of the Scottish qualifications? (Standard Grade and Highers)
Do you mind if i PM you about the 2 qualifications? A mate of mine is moving down there and just wanted some advice on how hed cope and about the qualifications?

I would like to see the difficulty of SGs ramped up a bit. Does this count Advanced Highers? If so, AHs in general need a bit more support in terms of learning material and whatnot in Scotland. :smile:

Hope that answers the question and feel free to PM me. :smile:

PS. Moving down here? Where is he coming from?
pamelaa
I think standard grades should be totally scrapped. Intermediates are the way forward baby.

They are getting scrapped aren't they not?

Curriculum for excellence and all that rubbish.

Hah, I'm asking you and I'm a teacher. I should probably know this. Although does anyone actually know anything about curriculum for excellence? Chances are slim.
Reply 16
LuhLah
The Ints are getting scrapped too afaik.

Wait, what? Next year is the first year my school's going to offer Ints at all, and they're getting scrapped? This is why we can't have nice things :nopity:
Rose W
I
PS. Moving down here? Where is he coming from?

Ha i thought this too.
Reply 18
What? Schools don't provide Advanced Highers? What is this nonsense? You must have **** schools wherever you are, mines had a teacher for every AH apart from Applied Maths because only one person was doing it.
I don't do standard grades or highers; however i do have a question about them.

A friend of mine did his SGs and recieved fairly good grades (1s and 2s, As and Bs). SGs are apparently equivilant to GCSEs. But when he moved down to England he had to repeat Year 11 (he would have done Year 10 too, only his parents didn't want him to be 2 years behind) to take his GCSEs, instead if going straight to AS levels. He had also completed several months of Highers before moving to England, which are also apparently equivilant to AS levels. So I'm slightly confused. Technically he had GCSE equivilants. Also the Scottish term starts before the English term, so he wouldn't have been behind on his AS subjects, infact he'd have an advantage as he'd already have had several months of AS equivilant learning. So could someone clarify all this for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending