The Student Room Group

Medicine after Biomedical science?

Hey Guys,

Im a 20 year old student who has applied to both Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences for university in 2012. I've done my A levels achieving AAAA but after applying through UCAS got work experience shadowing a doctor, and reaslised i want to study medicine.

Im currently taking a course which will allow me to skip year 1 of the Biomedical Sciences course, (If I choose to take it) or put me into the 1st year of pharmacy.

If I take the Biomedical Sciences course, which will last 2 years, I'll be able to go into medicine.

Also, I have a 16 hour part time job as a dispensing pharmacy assistant, so am learning all about the usage of drugs and their names which i think will help me with the medicine if I choose to apply for it.

Im stuck between choosing to do Pharmacy or Biomedical sciences because:

1) I dont really want to work as a dispensing pharmacist (feels like working in a shop just)

2) If i choose to take the biomedical course and dont get into the medicine course the following year, I dont want to work in a lar doing the same repetitive job.

My question is... Should I take to biomedical course which lasts 2 years then apply for Medicine or should I just do the 4 years of pharmacy?
Reply 1
If medicine is the only career you'd like to do, and you are sure that this is the case with all the evidence you could gain, eg work experience, then going for anything but that if you are able to seems like a waste of time. Have you considered just applying to medicine without other entry paths ie not going through the Biomed pathway? So in response.... neither 1) or 2)... but that's just my opinion. Good luck man :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Enigma.
If medicine is the only career you'd like to do, and you are sure that this is the case with all the evidence you could gain, eg work experience, then going for anything but that if you are able to seems like a waste of time. Have you considered just applying to medicine without other entry paths ie not going through the Biomed pathway? So in response.... neither 1) or 2)... but that's just my opinion. Good luck man :smile:

I'd have loved to apply directly for Medicine, but I only really wanted to do it after the application deadline for medicine, which is a bummer! I also hadn't done the UKAT which i'd have needed to even been looked at as an applicant.
Reply 3
im not sure if these are going to be options for you depending on your circumstances but have you considered:
-finishing the year, taking a year out while you work in a hospital somewhere in addition to your part time job at the pharmacy, try to get more work exp and study for the uk, then apply next year
-continue on with whichever course you want, then next year apply for med?
Reply 4
Original post by Timm-i

Original post by Timm-i
I'd have loved to apply directly for Medicine, but I only really wanted to do it after the application deadline for medicine, which is a bummer! I also hadn't done the UKAT which i'd have needed to even been looked at as an applicant.

There are a couple unis that do medicine without an admissions test.... I think Liverpool are like that. But it's understandable that limiting your choices and being post deadline is a tough stance. Would you be able to wait it out until October and apply to the 2013 cycle?
Reply 5
Original post by daisysmith
im not sure if these are going to be options for you depending on your circumstances but have you considered:
-finishing the year, taking a year out while you work in a hospital somewhere in addition to your part time job at the pharmacy, try to get more work exp and study for the uk, then apply next year
-continue on with whichever course you want, then next year apply for med?

I think that's a great plan. I work in a hospital and believe me the best doctors by far are the ones that have worked at the bottom (ie healthcare assistant). You could work on the bank fitting some shifts around your pharmacy job and you'd be hard pushed to find a uni that wouldn't want you with that kind of experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending