The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Intermediate deadlift :sexface:

:lol:
Original post by Tango189
PT sessions look very expensive. Must be a side building next to the main gym.

Current stats? How long have you been lifting?

Lifting stats or measurements?

I've been training since September or something. Coming to the end of my first bulk, weighing in at around 13 stone 4lbs ish. Wanted to be closer to 14, but want to be cut in time for summer. :colondollar:
Original post by tommy1311
Lifting stats or measurements?

I've been training since September or something. Coming to the end of my first bulk, weighing in at around 13 stone 4lbs ish. Wanted to be closer to 14, but want to be cut in time for summer. :colondollar:

Lifting. When you going back on a bulk? September?
Original post by Becca
Iirc, PL's gym is pretty cheap to begin with. A bit cheeky asking for a discount lol.
Man wish I'd been into training when I lived in Brum. Lived in Jewellery Quarter one year and in Great Barr the next, would have been within reach of so many great gyms!

I meant in tongue in cheek... :tongue:

Although £25 per month is not that cheap but guessing you save a bit of money if you pay for 6 months/a year upfront so it's alright compared to most. I'm at a uni gym so price is very cheap...

I live closer to the other gyms in my area but i have to be in uni 5 days a week and from uni the uni gym is 5 mins walk so i never miss a sessions whereas going to the other gym, even though it's closer to my house is the opposite direction from uni.

Also, at my level i don't really think it makes much difference which gym i am in to train.
Original post by Motorbiker

Although £25 per month is not that cheap but guessing you save a bit of money if you pay for 6 months/a year upfront so it's alright compared to most. I'm at a uni gym so price is very cheap...

I live closer to the other gyms in my area but i have to be in uni 5 days a week and from uni the uni gym is 5 mins walk so i never miss a sessions whereas going to the other gym, even though it's closer to my house is the opposite direction from uni.

Also, at my level i don't really think it makes much difference which gym i am in to train.

A lot of gyms don't even have squat or power racks. Once you start moving around a bit and checking different areas and gyms you will realise how **** most gyms are.

It is just a reflection on how most people train though. My current gym has 3 bench press stations and 1 squat rack and no power racks. It is small and not that busy. I class it as a good gym compared to most.
Anyone know of any cheap gyms in South Manchester who do month/4 month memberships? Need one for when I'm at home. OSG would've been perfect but no car and it's a fair distance away.
pulldowns vs chins for back development?

i prefer pulldowns, can squeeze the **** out of my lats and destroy them where as chins can't really do that.
Lifting. When you going back on a bulk? September?

Yeah, as summer finishes. Perhaps a little earlier, depends what August has in store. Going away in July though, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Bench - 110kgX2 (Failed 120 last night, I KNOW I can do it though, exhausted myself) But I usually incline DB.
Deadlift - 150kgX2 (Not been deadlifting recently so much, form's been a bit off so I'm doing some hip stretches, trying to sit into it a bit better)
Squat - Never 1-repped squats. 140 is as high as I've went, but again I've been doing mostly hacks recently because of my hips.

As far as OHP goes, I tend to use dumbbells, not had great luck with barbell OH.
That's pretty good for starting in September.
Original post by Gallium
pulldowns vs chins for back development?

i prefer pulldowns, can squeeze the **** out of my lats and destroy them where as chins can't really do that.

pull ups?
That's pretty good for starting in September.

Thanks man. I suppose I just made a fair bit of progress quickly. Could barely bench 60 when I began.

I also realise that technically, my squat and deadlift should be higher when taking into consideration my bench. Until recently I trained at a gym which had no squat rack, so the 'big lift' in my leg workout was leg press. I pushed 400 for 5 on leg press.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
pull ups?

regular pull ups kill my shoulders....even wide grip pull downs give result in shoulder pain.....i use a underhand grip for both
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Anyone know of any cheap gyms in South Manchester who do month/4 month memberships? Need one for when I'm at home. OSG would've been perfect but no car and it's a fair distance away.

Sugden centre. Depends how south you are, that is pretty central.
Original post by McHumpy92
Sugden centre. Depends how south you are, that is pretty central.

Good location but they don't do shorter memberships and the longer contracts end up working out at £30 a month of actual use if I got a 12 month.
Original post by Motorbiker

£25 a month seems well cheap for me. You're talking to someone that had a "good deal" to pay nearly £60 a month for a gym contract :p:
Now I pay £150 a year to train at the weightlifting club, it's awesome. I can say that training with other people who are knowledgeable and can give advice is definitely worth that, so I'd say £25/month at PL's gym is good. You'd probably notice the difference if you trained at a gym with loads of experienced people, can't recommend it highly enough.
Reply 9515
My gym has 1 power rack which doubles up as a bench rack also. And 1 Olympic bar. Pretty ****...
Original post by McHumpy92
A lot of gyms don't even have squat or power racks. Once you start moving around a bit and checking different areas and gyms you will realise how **** most gyms are.

It is just a reflection on how most people train though. My current gym has 3 bench press stations and 1 squat rack and no power racks. It is small and not that busy. I class it as a good gym compared to most.

Tbh you're probs right. The "bad" room at my gym still has a rack a bench, an incline and a bunch of benches for db stuff.

The good room then has 3 full powercages with adjustable benches one side and platforms the other. Think i'm just spoilt.

Original post by Becca
£25 a month seems well cheap for me. You're talking to someone that had a "good deal" to pay nearly £60 a month for a gym contract :p:
Now I pay £150 a year to train at the weightlifting club, it's awesome. I can say that training with other people who are knowledgeable and can give advice is definitely worth that, so I'd say £25/month at PL's gym is good. You'd probably notice the difference if you trained at a gym with loads of experienced people, can't recommend it highly enough.

My bad, the only gym i've ever paid for is my uni one and i pay ~£11 a month...

And you're probably true that the general advice/atmosphere would helpyou train better.

Although at my gym i'm often the strongest one squatting/deadlifting there(i know, they're just weak) so feel pressured to complete the set i'm going for as i don't want to look like an idiot racking up a big weight then having to ditch my squat on the fail rails...

There is like 4 guys i know there that squat/deadlift more but then there's like 30 i know that lift less...
training fasted again today, only got a 5 hour eating window today!...training at 6pm finish at 7 then got till 1am to eat everything!
Seem to have lost my tommy kono knee sleeves. Only hope now is that someone has handed them in at the gym :frown:
American Pie nostalgia.

First and second films are so good - even the songs are awesome.