The Student Room Group

Resitting the first year of University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ultimate mashup
Why would you want to shut down ex-polys? These are major institutions that are often the largest employers in their region. The loss to the local economy and national economy would be enormous. Universities help to create wealth by providing high paying jobs and wealth to the economy. Closing them down would be a massive retrograde step. This is why the government keep creating new universities, since 2005 there have been loads of colleges like Northampton which have been upgraded to uni status. I believe more are planned in the future too. I think there a college in Peterborough that is pushing for university status to become University of Peterborough imminently.

They do help create wealth by educating the workforce and by charging internationals high fees, but saying that the public sector creates wealth by providing high-paying jobs is a false statement - it is merely redistribution. Having said that, educating the workforce clearly has likely added value in the future.

Second, I really don't think there's more universities planned in these times of austerity. The government withdrew 10.000 places this year and they have heavily penalized over-recruitment. Although a large part of the teaching grant has been eliminated, the bursaries and low-interest loans still cost a lot.
Original post by jordan1993
My first year of University has been sooooo good I've litterally not gone into Uni (less than 15% attendance). I didn't even hand in some assignments, and failed more than half my modules. There aren't any major reasons for me not going in and completing work I was just lazy, enjoying Uni and not taking it serious.

Because of all this, I'm on my final warning and it's looking more than likely that I will fail this year. I'm just wondering, is it possible to resit the entire first year? Just start from scratch? or even resit the failed modules, alongside near years modules?

I'm not sure and the realism is starting to hit me that I don't want to leave, and I do want the degree. I'm pretty worried at the moment, just explaining why I failed Uni online is hard enough, I don't want to tell my family.

You need more than a first year re sit, you need to get your life sorted out.
The worst part is, there is a chance that you may have taken a place from someone who wanted that and would have taken advantage of such an opportunity. Honestly, i mean i don't know you, but what's to say you won't just do the same thing next year.
I have a friend on my course who has 6 children and a fulltime job and is still getting firsts on some assignments and 2.1s. I have full admiration for her.
Now at the other end of the spectrum, people like you. Mate. get your life sorted out.
Reply 22
Lets face it, if you had a genuine interest in the course then you would of done the assignments. Obviously coming out with a good degree is not important to you. Either that or you have somehow just let everything go even though you knew you shouldent of done. All I can say is if you lack the motivation now then you wont be able to get by on your final year when you really need to work real hard.

Its amazing the people you see on the first year compared to those in the final year. A lot of people have dropped out and I'm sure all have different reasons. Its a bit of a shame buts as time goes by it almost acts a filter to sort the men out from the boys as so to speak, struggling in the first round isnt going to help when you have a lot more hurdles to tackle.
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
They do help create wealth by educating the workforce and by charging internationals high fees, but saying that the public sector creates wealth by providing high-paying jobs is a false statement - it is merely redistribution. Having said that, educating the workforce clearly has likely added value in the future.

Second, I really don't think there's more universities planned in these times of austerity. The government withdrew 10.000 places this year and they have heavily penalized over-recruitment. Although a large part of the teaching grant has been eliminated, the bursaries and low-interest loans still cost a lot.

It's a negligible cost to the government to upgrade colleges to universities because many of them offer degrees anyway. All they have to do is get a college like Peterborough and rename it Uni of Peterborough. It's essentially the same institution.That's what I don't get when people say upgrading poly's to uni's devalued a degree. Even if poly's had stayed polys, people would still be going there to study for undegraduate and post graduate degrees including PhD's in a variety of academic and professional diciplines.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending