The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by danny111
Pram-friendly lecture theatres? I don't want to sound like a dick, but I don't want a screaming baby in my lecture.

Surely you mean child-friendly unis, i.e. those with free or subsidised day-care, where you could leave your baby during the lecture.

Exactly, why should the majority suffer because of the minority?
why is everyone so judgmental, has no one else made a mistake before in life, albeit this may be a mistake bigger than others but that's if the OP see's it as a mistake, she hasn't actually asked how to get benefits or anything she said she has a supportive family, she merely asked for advice, good on her for wanting to keep the child and still study and better herself, she may even do better than some of you keyboard bashers knowing she has a life depending on her.. "abortion abortion abortion" because its that simple right? common courtesy should exist on the internet too
Reply 202
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Come on then darling, how else is my life limited. Maybe we have different views on how we wish to spend our life.

If you stay as malicious as you are, I doubt you'll find a proper man. Jealousy is a nasty thing sweetheart. I feel sorry for you thinking your better than everyone else. Your social life must be thriving for you to be sat in on a Saturday night. And I imagine any travel you do is to low budget clap ridden resorts. I'm not missing out on a thing sweetie.

This was the moment where my respect for you as a human being and your opinion officially dropped to zero.

Is that really all you care about? Relationships? Social life?

You constantly mention manners or maturity and you've really proved yourself to be well-mannered and mature by this post. :rolleyes:

Just because you're a single mother, it does not give you the right to give everyone a lecture about respecting them! Your whole argument has been about encouraging the OP to keep her baby because it worked for you - (was that your argument, I got confused by your consistent arrogance and putting everyone else down).

Oh and one last thing, you are nothing more than a superficial bint who would fit in great with the likes of TOWIE; my evidence: your comment about budget holidays. If that's what you judge people on, best of luck when you grow up and raise your daughter. How did you make reach that conclusion? The last time I checked (Google images and advertisements), resorts such as Benidorm and Butlins are filled to the brim with teenage mothers.

If you wish respond to me in the same way you did to coolmushroom or hannaaahlima, save your breath as I will communicate with people who can string together a decent reply.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by Iron Lady
Lumping more problems onto the State, brilliant idea. :congrats:

The whole world doesn't revolve around ****ing teenage mothers.

Those support options are available for all parents, not just teenage ones. So should teenage mothers not be given that support?
Reply 204
Original post by zaliack
Those support options are available for all parents, not just teenage ones. So should teenage mothers not be given that support?

I don't agree with social services for any parent.

And no, teenage mothers should seek independent support.
Firstly although ending up preganant is not ideal way, I do think you deserve credit for decidng that you are going to go to uni and make something of your life. There are so many steryotypes about teen mums doing nothing and living of the state, I think its wrng that people are being negative about it atleast your taking control and not being selfish your thinking about yourself and your baby .

Although not to te same extent ive had family had babies young, or I have had babies staying round when im trying to study and I can assure you that the constant crying and demand for attention drives you crazy, taking a year out will mean you can have the baby have a year to bond with it and also by the time you go to uni it will be old enough to go into the creche .good luck I think you desreve more credit than your being given
Some universities have exams in December and or January. I think you should postpone your degree or do it part time.

All our opinions aside, your first priority should be telling your parents about the situation. They might have a good advice for you and more importantly only they know what kind of support you should expect from them.

I thought you had a quite sensible view on the subject until this post...so you think social services should be abolished? :lolwut:
Reply 208

Do you know what health visitors do? They check up on the parents, to ensure the baby is progressing well, check their weight, check their feeding routines, and check to see if the mother has developed post natal depression and give advice about all these things. Would you rather a doctor does this?
My mum did a teaching with maths degree when I was a newborn.
Not to mention having 2 other kids of 8 and 10 and a husband who worked full time.

I think she did a lot of the work from home and when she couldn't do it from home she used to take me to classes/lectures.
However she was a mature student (38).

She got a 1st :colondollar:

(Just saying to all those people who are saying uni is impossible with a baby)

OP where is the father going to be in this? If he is going to take a lot of time to help look after the baby then it will be better, but I still think it would be a better idea to leave it for a year :s-smilie:
Original post by redferry
I thought you had a quite sensible view on the subject until this post...so you think social services should be abolished? :lolwut:

her names the "iron lady" she has a picture of the milk snatcher up what do you think lol, she'd privatise the whole world from her computer if she could, open mindedness don't mean anything to some people

What for ANY parent, what about those with disabled children or children in care? Are they expected to cope alone with no support, whether that financial or resources? Charities can only do so much, especially with all the recent cutbacks. There are so many things wrong with that sentiment, if you agree with that you are basically throwing all the most vulnerable people in society out to the dogs.

Don't be so bloody naive.
Hi hun,

Im 22, and have a 16 month old daughter. I left at the end of the first year when I was 3 months pregnant. I was going to go back in September 2011- and I easily could of done, but i had a change of heart what I wanted to do in a course so have been doing distance learning since September and hoping to start THIS September.

Im not going to lie- its very, very tough. I have a teething baby at the moment so work has been none existent for the past 3 days- and im falling behind. I'm fortunate that I am very close to my family and I am still in touch with my ex boyfriends parents so they are quite helpful with regards to childcare so most of the time if I have a deadline I need to meet and my daughter clutching on to my legs I can ring someone up to come help look after her while I concentrate on my work.

You need a strong support network, but it is definitely do-able- after a year or two. Have a look at the open university and other online degree providers to see if what you want to do can be done online- it will save you money, and make your life a lot easier.

I cant believe how unfair people are being to this women! she gave up her whole life and career to look after the life she created how can you slag her of for that?. Im sure you didnt intend to get pregnant so young but atleast you took responsibility for your mistake, it must be really lonely sometimes and very difficult but your not complaining!. I personally couldnt have a baby at 18 just because i dont think im mature enough, and i wouldnt have any family support however i think what you did was very very brave, you havent ruined your life at all it may just take you longer to get places but your still going to get there!. People need to realise that if your mature enough to have sex your ature enough to take on the consquences whether that be a baby or an STI, if your not dont have sex?, theres no point slagging this women of whose done a hell of alot for a child she could of esily had aborted it shows that shes actually caring, she will go far in life as she clearly puts her needs and feelings second. So what if she cant go out clubbing, get drunk and have loads of boyfriends? atleast she is studying and trying to make a succes of her life. Id understand the negging if she sat on her bum claiming benefits but she doesnt, yes having a baby at 18 is not good and is a bad idea but if you find yourself in that situaion making the best of a bad situation is a good thing to do. Also I dont think any of us have the right to judge unless we have been in that position

It is very important that a baby has a mother to bond with at first- VERY important. And if worse comes to worse (lets touch wood it doesnt) and baby ends up ill- there isn't much chance you could cope emotionally doing a course and coping with a poorly baby.

I think youve done very well for yourself considering what you have had to go through
If it was me Id probebly put it off for another year, its perfectly normal to start uni aged 20, I only say that as one of my close friends had a baby whilst at uni she took a year out as he was due in January and she would have had exams. but she has gone back and decided to live in a house with her little boy and she is doing really well, they have a childminder for when shes at uni
Reply 214
For idiots like yourself, yeah it does.

Im only 22 and I have a daughter, and guess what- she was planned. I was in a very happy relationship with my fiance and we decided the time was right. Unfortunately (and is with life) things went wrong and we had to break up.

But guess what? I have a lovely little girl. Sometimes she is a nightmare, but I am getting no better pleasure out of bringing up this little person and would do it again 10x over.

Plus, i'm safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to bring her up to be a idiot like your parents did so well with you. Applause to them.

Why is he an idiot for expressing a viewpoint? Which if I may add, I would bet a LOOOT of people would agree with.

I left at the end of the first year when I was 3 months pregnant.

Honey, that does not sound planned, and if it was, then well it was a stupid plan. Who tries to get pregnant during uni just so they have to leave uni? Who says, I have no job, no degree - imna have a baby.

Sorry- you know my background do you? If you must know, my father is a Pilot and my mother is a Surgeon. I grew up in Manhattan for 10 years and then we came home when my sister died as it caused my mother a lot of stress to be there and wanted to be back in her home country.

Class background has nothing to do with it. Again, a sign of pure immaturity.

And sorry if you don't think someone who gets straight As in her A levels to be well educated, well educated enough to go to a prestige university to study veterinary science.

I could easily go back and do veterinary science if I want too, but I have decided on another career path. My child might not go to the best private school in Chelsea when she is at school age- but she will be fed, clothed, well mannered and I will make damn sure she has more manners than 95% of this forum put together. Thats what matters.

You belong to the 95% then?

Because the person you just jumped down the throat in this post was actually being sympathetic towards you.

ps also she did not say you are from a working class background. she was saying us on this forum compare you to working class teenage mothers. so not only are you extremely arrogant, offensive, you are also rather stupid and lack reading comprehension. Maybe you should have stayed on in school til you learned it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 215
Open uni?
Original post by youngzwavey
her names the "iron lady" she has a picture of the milk snatcher up what do you think lol, she'd privatise the whole world from her computer if she could, open mindedness don't mean anything to some people

I just thought the idea of removing social servicesand leaving vulnerable children to be subjected to terrible abuse at the hands of their parents was pretty horrific!
This was the moment where my respect for you as a human being and your opinion officially dropped to zero.

Is that really all you care about? Relationships? Social life?

You constantly mention manners or maturity and you've really proved yourself to be well-mannered and mature by this post. :rolleyes:

Just because you're a single mother, it does not give you the right to give everyone a lecture about respecting them! Your whole argument has been about encouraging the OP to keep her baby because it worked for you - (was that your argument, I got confused by your consistent arrogance and putting everyone else down).

Oh and one last thing, you are nothing more than a superficial bint who would fit in great with the likes of TOWIE; my evidence: your comment about budget holidays. If that's what you judge people on, best of luck when you grow up and raise your daughter. How did you make reach that conclusion? The last time I checked (Google images and advertisements), resorts such as Benidorm and Butlins are filled to the brim with teenage mothers.

If you wish respond to me in the same way you did to coolmushroom or hannaaahlima, save your breath as I will communicate with people who can string together a decent reply.

If you read hannalimmaa previous posts, you will see me defending myself from my point of the argument.
Original post by redferry
I just thought the idea of removing social servicesand leaving vulnerable children to be subjected to terrible abuse at the hands of their parents was pretty horrific!

unfortunately not everyone shares a realistic view of the world some choose to believe anything that costs government money is instantly bad smh, i wonder where they would be without the NHS or state schools..
Original post by Multitalented me
I would advise you to either defer for a about year or get your parents/father to look after the baby then pay them back later. Also make sure you don't take other people's money through benefits trust me you will lose a whole lot of respect :wink:

6 people don't mind their hard earned money going to complete strangers because of their own doing :laugh:

EDIT: Neggers tell me what I'm saying is wrong? I have every right to be worried that some randomers will take my hard earned money through no fault of my own!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending