The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by dbmag9
You have a computer and phone now, I imagine?

Yes, but they will need to be sold.
hm, so it seems I have no willpower and have started smoking again :erm:

Well, I suppose, since I managed to not smoke for four months, I get to smoke again as a reward?
Reply 1282
Original post by dbmag9
I assume you have important quotes from that poem and interesting things to say about each part? If you don't get the right poem, just select five bits from the poem you're given that look vaguely similar to quotes from the one you know, and then apply the exact same commentary. Simples!

Oh no. For the second half, you just get given a list of questions which may be specific to a poem, or may be thematic/historical etc. You then have to answer one. But you're not allowed to carry over material from the commentary questions from the first half (of which there are 3 passages, so from 3 poems).
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Anyone bought a copy of the Sun today? Their 'Big Story' is about Jessie J 'being a lesbian' (I don't think this is true though) and Simon Cowell denying the rumours again. Seriously don't newspapers have bigger stories to be reporting on such as the crisis in Syria? I guess it's trying to make a big deal of it again :/

Argh. Yeah, I saw that yet more of people say being Bi is 'trendy' and Bi people are really gay. :frown:
Original post by seanfromtheblock
hm, so it seems i have no willpower and have started smoking again :erm:

Well, i suppose, since i managed to not smoke for four months, i get to smoke again as a reward?

no. Put down the cigarette!!!
Reply 1285
Original post by anshul95
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

You have the power to be whatever you want to be, Anshul. Especially the person in that video.
Reply 1286
Original post by Lacus
How do people afford laptops and other gadgetry at university?! I do not understand.

Prostitution.

Well, I suppose, since I managed to not smoke for four months, I get to smoke again as a reward?

Coming back to the dark side, eh?
Original post by mmmpie

Coming back to the dark side, eh?

seems like it, although I'm going to have to find a cheaper brand (or start rolling them). Golds are outwith my budget now that I'm a cash-strapped drain on society.
Reply 1288
seems like it, although I'm going to have to find a cheaper brand (or start rolling them). Golds are outwith my budget now that I'm a cash-strapped drain on society.

Roll them, it's a fraction of the price. If you're careful, you can get 50+ out of a 25g pouch of tobacco, which costs less then a packet of 20.
Original post by mmmpie
Roll them, it's a fraction of the price. If you're careful, you can get 50+ out of a 25g pouch of tobacco, which costs less then a packet of 20.

I'm absolutely disastrous at rolling, which is the only issue.
Reply 1290
I'm absolutely disastrous at rolling, which is the only issue.

Buy a rolling machine? That's what my dad uses, he can't roll either.
Original post by Gesar
You have the power to be whatever you want to be, Anshul. Especially the person in that video.

Yes as craig and my other course mates have indicated to me, they have arranged my marriage and I shall be wearing a red sari to my wedding. My parents shall give a dowry to them. But I don't want to get married and shall be running away from home and elope with my childhood lover. But my childhood lover beats me so I run away from him too and dance for money. Hence why I will be that woman in the video. I also do some prostitution to keep my head above water. :smile: What a life I lead.
Reply 1292
:K:
Reply 1293
Original post by mmmpie

Smoking costs LOADS. A 20-a-day smoker will spend over £900 over the next 6 months. Rolling them is cheaper though.

I had no willpower either! Haha. But if you really want to stop smoking there is loads you can do for yourself and help you can get: http://smokefree.nhs.uk/
Original post by L.O.V.E.
Smoking costs LOADS. A 20-a-day smoker will spend over £900 over the next 6 months. Rolling them is cheaper though.

I had no willpower either! Haha. But if you really want to stop smoking there is loads you can do for yourself and help you can get: http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

The issue with stopping, is that I don't really want to, and never really did.

the money thing is more of an issue to me than health probably, the reason I stopped last time was because my loan didn't really stretch to cover cigarettes.
Reply 1295
Reply 1296

the money thing is more of an issue to me than health probably, the reason I stopped last time was because my loan didn't really stretch to cover cigarettes.

That's exactly why I stopped smoking, I just couldn't really afford it. Improving my health was just an added bonus really. I don't judge anyone's reasons, but I think it's important that people who do want to give it up realise that there are financial/health benefits and that if they want support then there is plenty out there, and that NHS website is really good. I actually bought my own nicotine gum at first, who knew you could get them for free :biggrin:
Reply 1297

This is exactly my thing. I keep thinking I ought to give up, but I don't really want to.
Reply 1298
I feel like a right nutter sitting here in my room at midnight reprimanding myself for not being able to memorise quotes and sound like a 10th Century Anglo-Saxon. For instance...

Wrætlic hongað bi weres þeo,
frean under sceate. Foran is þyrel;
bið stiþ ond heard, stede hafað godne;
þonne se esne his agen hrægl
ofer cneo hefeð, wile þæt cuþe hol
mid his hangellan heafde gretan,
þæt he, efenlang, ær oft gefylde.

Translation

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1299
Original post by thurin
I feel like a right nutter sitting here in my room at midnight reprimanding myself for not being able to memorise quotes and sound like a 10th Century Anglo-Saxon. For instance...

WRÆTLIC HONGAÐ BI WERES ÞEO,
FREAN UNDER SCEATE. FORAN IS ÞYREL;
BIÐ STIÞ OND HEARD, STEDE HAFAÐ GODNE;
ÞONNE SE ESNE HIS AGEN HRÆGL
OFER CNEO HEFEÐ, WILE ÞÆT CUÞE HOL
MID HIS HANGELLAN HEAFDE GRETAN,
ÞÆT HE, EFENLANG, ÆR OFT GEFYLDE.

Translation

I'm confused.

And possibly aroused.

Latest