The Student Room Group

Can You Get a 2:1 even if you get a 2:2 in a Few Modules?

Hi,

Question in the title, really! I'm mainly worried about getting a 2:2 in two of my modules (out of seven, and in an arts subject) - does anyone have any experience with getting a range of 2:2s and 2:1s and how it affected their final grade? Or stories from friends this has happened to?

One of the ones I'm worried about is coursework (already given in), and I'm sort of panicking now that I've ruined my chances of getting a 2:1 this year.

Sorry for nerdy panic thread, it's just that I can't stop worrying about it (which I know is really stupid) and I'd love to hear stories from other people who might have been in the same boat.
Reply 1
It's a matter of calculation. Of course it's possible to still get a 2:1, depending on all your other marks!
In some subjects (I know that this is the case in Arch and Anth) you can get what the examiners think you deserve.

E.g. if you get an average of 59%, but got a really good 2.i or 1 in one exam, they could give you a 2.i anyway.

I don't think this is very common though, so I think looking at percentage averages is a safer bet.

And you'll probably do better than you think anyway! :smile:
In first year Economics you could get a third in 1 paper and still get a 1st overall, as long as you got firsts in the other 4 papers. So it can't be too much of an issue to get a few 2.2s, as long as your average clears 60...
Reply 4
Original post by Topaz_eyes
In some subjects (I know that this is the case in Arch and Anth) you can get what the examiners think you deserve.

E.g. if you get an average of 59%, but got a really good 2.i or 1 in one exam, they could give you a 2.i anyway.

I don't think this is very common though, so I think looking at percentage averages is a safer bet.

And you'll probably do better than you think anyway! :smile:

Sorry, but that's not quite correct re: Arch & Anth.

The marking criteria for A&A does include the option to move up a class boundary, but only if you have a certain percentage (ie. a majority) of papers at the higher class or above. It takes more than one 'good' paper to move up a class.
Reply 5
I scraped a 2.1 in my first semester despite having a Third in one module and a 2.2 in two other modules. My high grades in three other modules balanced it out as a 2.1

Quick Reply

Latest