The Student Room Group

What time would you consider late, to go to sleep?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Let go this week but usually 11.30pm and wake up at 4am. Then sleep again at 5am till about 8am.
I'm currently going to bed between 12-12:30am on a work night and get up at 7am. Starting to feel like it's a bit late.
Went to bed at 5am up at 7:45am Monday come at me bro.
Reply 23
If I'm still awake at 2am, I consider that late...but I get up at about nine. To be honest it depends on what time you have ti get up so it varies night to night what is late/acceptable.
Reply 24
Original post by moya

it's said that you should go to bed when you are tired and wake up when your body wants to

That's not actually true, it's been proved that the adult body only need between 7-9 hours sleep. Your body wants more sleep than it needs.
Although going to bed when you're tired is a good idea, you shouldn't let yourself have as much sleep as you want. Ever noticed that continually oversleeping eventually makes you feel groggy? It certainly does me anyway.
Reply 25
Original post by CJAW
That's not actually true, it's been proved that the adult body only need between 7-9 hours sleep. Your body wants more sleep than it needs.
Although going to bed when you're tired is a good idea, you shouldn't let yourself have as much sleep as you want. Ever noticed that continually oversleeping eventually makes you feel groggy? It certainly does me anyway.

Actually, the study was 'proved' that was flawed. The people in the study were actually sleeping in time with their circadian rhythm (and by that I mean, going to bed when tired and waking up without an alarm) which is healthier, and if you do this, the body ends up sleeping for around 7 to 9 hours anyway (so you are right in saying that the body only needs this, but it's not a direct implication that it's healthier to force your body to sleep less)

And if you think about it, within the same study, if you look at the people who were sleeping for 10 hours and over (and 6 hours and under) it's very probable that their sleeping pattern was erratic (as sleeping for over 10 hours is usually due to sleep deprivation) and hence less healthy than the above set of people.

I can find more information on this if you want, but long story short, your body NEVER oversleeps, it always tries to get as much sleep as needed, and feeling groggy after sleeping longer is due to a long period of sleep deprivation (waking up with an alarm) and when you let your body do what it wants (ie, weekends) it will try to sleep longer, and you will wake up tired because you are still sleep deprived (and will continue to feel tired until you have paid back the sleep debt).

Quick Reply

Latest