The Student Room Group

Best Facewash and cream for getting rid of spots

I've tried many and I am still getting spots, and a lot of marks/scars which won't go away, can anyone recommend the best brands to use?

I have previously used Nivea and Freederm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is skincare called Dermalogica it is very expensive (£30-40) but it is fantastic, i have used it twice a day for about a year and half and its healing my scars and prevents spots.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
From personal experience, Simple products are brilliant. And very affordable!
Reply 3
For the odd spot, I personally think that sticking to a good skin care routine morning and night is probably the most important thing, rather than using specific products. As long as the products are thoroughly cleaning then moisturising to your skin, but not harshly drying it out, then you should see some improvement. (This isn't necessarily the case for acne of course, which might require medical treatment)

I use Liz Earle products but the Simple range is also excellent. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JoshhB
There is skincare called Dermalogica it is very expensive (£30-40) but it is fantastic, i have used it twice a day for about a year and half and its healing my scars and prevents spots.

Thanks, where can I buy this?
Reply 5
simple really good and tes tree is known for its healing properties.
try not to pick your spots as that will give you the scars x
Reply 6
serious NON OF THEM ****ING WORK
DONT WASTE MONEY

IF URE ACNE IS REALLY BAD - GO TO THE GP - AND ITS FREE
Reply 7
I really like this, :smile:

http://www.superdrug.com/face/garnier-skin-naturals-pure-exfo-brusher-wash-oil-150ml/invt/239953/&bklist=

I haven't had a break out since I started using it!
Reply 8
its the food u eat
maybe
stop eating oily fried food
I just come to suggest freederm.

Which one are you using? None have worked for me except this most recent one I've bought which has pretty much got rid of my spots overnight.

I have been exercising a lot and drinking lots of water but still...
Reply 10
I use Simple - this range has really helped my skin from I started using it:
http://www.boots.com/en/Simple-Spotless-Skin-Triple-Action-Face-Wash-150ml_1107197/
Reply 11
Original post by serious.sam
Thanks, where can I buy this?

You can buy it in certain skincare shops, however i get mine from Ebay it is much cheaper and comes in big bottles that will last at least 2 months. It really is fantastic, i'm a guy and i use it all the time, it works for all types of skin too.

Nothing, seriously. I've never had really bad acne or anything but I had a few spots, and I used so many products but none of them worked and some made it worse. So I just decided to stop using them all together, eat healthier and drink more water. Worked for me :borat:
Original post by serious.sam
I've tried many and I am still getting spots, and a lot of marks/scars which won't go away, can anyone recommend the best brands to use?

I have previously used Nivea and Freederm.

If you're getting scarring, seriously just see your GP. They can prescribe washes, gels, creams, antibiotics as required. They can also prescribe stronger things that are not available to buy over the counter. Also the things GPs will prescribe have been tested and proven to work for the majority of people, whereas many over the counter products are not thoroughly tested.

If you leave your acne untreated, you will get more scars.

The first thing suggested is often benzoyl peroxide. For some people this really helps, but it can irritate the skin at first and cause dryness. You can buy products containing benzoyl peroxide over the counter, but it's worth seeing your GP. The prescriptions are not ridiculously expensive either.

If your skin is really bad or the treatments from your GP don't work, they will refer you to a dermatologist.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Acne/Pages/Introduction.aspx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
try Simple, or if you have spare cash try the Clarins/Clinique range, they do great skincare products :^_^:
Reply 15
As mentioned above, Dermalogica works wonders. Not just the cream, they also do a gentle exfoliant which is great for cleansing and preventing spots, not just dealing with them after they have broken out.

A few other products worth trying are...
- Tea Tree Oil. Use it as a cleanser (straight on cotton wool) or as a face wash (a few drops in water). It really works for me! The Body Shop also do an amazing Tea Tree Oil face mask which clears my skin really well.
- Lush's "Ultra Bland" exfoliator
- Seaweed products are really good, like Tea Tree they freshen up skin and deal with excess oil. The Body Shop do a great cleanser, toner and day cream that I love!
- Soap & Glory do a spot gel called "Knock your spots off", it actually works quite well!
- Coconut oil works wonders on skin, but because it is very oily, use only a little at a time, once or twice a week, cleansing afterwards.

Look for products which control excess oil/sebum/shine and which don't contain a lot of oil as this will cause spots. You need light, gentle products that will clean your skin without clogging it. It's really important to get a good skin routine going, as well as a really good diet. Make sure you are drinking enough water, eating enough fruit/veg. to get the essential vitamins, avoiding fatty/greasy foods. Exercising and sleep are also really important. Also make sure you keep your hair away from your face as that is just asking for sweat/products to make their way into your skin, clog up your pores and cause break outs.

Hope this helps.
:smile:
I wouldn't recommend using anti-biotics unless you really have to. Especially accutane.

Just try this:
1) Cut out 'white' carbs and stick with low GI foods.
2) Cut down on dairy.
3) Take zinc (50mg) / vitamin C / Omega 3 supplements (1000mg per day)
4) Change bed sheets once per week. If you can't be bothered at least rotate your pillows / change your pillow cases. Can't stress this point enough.
5) Steam your face once or twice per week (bowl of boiling water, towel over your head, 10 minutes). Rinse your face straight after with cleanser / cold water.
6) Only wash your face 2x per day. Use a mild cleanser and then use a salicylic / benzoyl peroxide cream on it. Moisturise afterwards (or if your skin doesn't really get oily, only moisturise when dry). If you exercise between washes just splash water over your face. Overwashing just causes oily skin.
7) Drink 4 litres or so of water per day. Just keep drinking.
8) Don't eat crap
What a sweeping comment to make. Although I see why you'd say that (probably have read a few things saying diet plays little part, skin irritation causes acne etc etc) the amount of effort and research I've put into cleaning up my skin including reading hundreds of articles on it, reading countless forum posts reading what people suggest and seeing numerous dermatologists (in fact my aunt actually is one), and most people's acne is aggravated by many of those points. Yes, a lot isn't 'proven' (although the notion that diet plays no part in skin care is one that's now being laughed at by dermatologists), but to have someone come along and say 'According to the literature' when they have no idea of how much knowledge the previous person providing the advice actually has on the subject is not only unfair on the OP, but also just out right arrogant.

I'll break down the reasoning of the post I made the other day as at the time I was in a rush and perhaps didn't go into it clearly enough. Basically different people have different 'triggers' which result in acne. High GI foods and dairy are accepted to be one of the more common triggers. For some people cutting both out would be beneficial, for others changing that aspect of your diet will make very little difference (although the derm I saw at sk:n swore that nearly everyone she told to cut high GIs out saw a major improvement). This is one of the things I did which made the most difference to my skin. Dairy doesn't really make a difference for me, but GIs definitely do.

Drinking 4 litres of water per day along with taking vit D, omega 3 (stay low on omega 6), vitamin C and zinc (as soon as I started taking 50mg per day of zinc along with 1000mg of EPA/DHA (omega 3), my skin pretty much became flawless. Worked with my brother and my cousin.

The steaming advice will work if done once every 4 days (or once a week for people with oily skin), the trick is not to overdo it as that'll lead to your skin producing excess oils which will clog pores and lead to more acne.

The idea that somebody could say having dirty pillows doesn't effect acne is laughable.

Realistically OP some of those points will most likely work for you. After 3 years of bad acne and hundreds spent on products, my skin finally became good after I started following those points above. Right now I have no spots whatsoever and my skin care routine consists of using a cleanser, a salicylic acid treatment lotion (although haven't used that in weeks as I haven't had any spots), a 'maintenence syrum' with malic and mandelic acid to keep pores clear (again, don't really use unless I get an oily face which hasn't happened since I started on the vitamins), and then I exfoliate once or twice a week.

My brother's 17 and had awful acne. He'd tried oxytetracycline, differin, duac etc, and was considering accutane. Then he cut out GI foods, cut his milk intake in half, change his bedsheets weekly and started on the vitamin routine, and with the same skin care products that hadn't been working for months, his acne cleared up within a month. He has 1 spot on his entire face.

So listen to timeofflight if you want to. She's probably done a fair bit of reading - maybe even a few scientific studies - but I can guarantee I've got far more experience in this department.
Dont destroy your skin by using all sorts of facewash and etc ...
I used to have Acne and my doctor prescribed me Acnecide Cream and i would highly recommend that. It may take a few weeks for you to notice any difference but it clearly works better than anything out there
Which 'literature' are you referring too? A lack of researched based information about something doesn't mean that something isn't true. When you have thousands of people saying that certain things are working for them, it doesn't matter if those same things don't work for X number of other people, the fact is that for a large number of people the points that I've listed have helped people with their skin. Whether or not this is medically/scientifically verifiable shouldn't be held as a make or break point; if things are working then they're working.

Multiple dermatologists seem to support this point. These are people who not only have qualifications but also the experience of seeing hundreds of patients, telling me that something works. I'll take the empircal evidence that these professionals have taken, that I've seen first hand in numerous people, and seen posted all over the major internet acne boards over any of the current 'medical literature' (especially if it isn't even conflicting information, and just a lack of proof or knowledge either way. Anecdotal evidence, especially in medicine, is what separates 'factless opinion' from unproven methods which actually will work for many people, evidentually leading to be referenced in your 'literature'.

Lastly, you seem to be in the habit of making sweeping statements. You've now made the claim that all supplementation is extremely bad for you. If you want to make your point at least argue about why each supplement would have no effect on your skin - especially when scientifically you could actually prove that it does - then at least break down the supplements and the dosages I've recommended.

*edit*
My original post was to outline what I've seen / been told works by both professionals and people online. It's undisbutable that each of these points have often helped people. My intention was to outline them to the OP and give them a chance to try them all at once before moving onto the move 'proven' methods. I didn't once state that they were scientifically proven.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest