The Student Room Group

GCSE - English language features help

I'm doing the language paper in a few weeks and was wondering how and what you could say about how language features. E.g. in January the question "compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts" - this was my weakest question as the only thing I thing I can think of to say is "it makes it stick in your head and want you to read on" i have no trouble finding the language features i just don't know how it is effects the reader - or I don't know how to put it on the paper anyway. By the way i got a B1 on this question...-_-

Can someone please help me out and tell me what sort of things language does to the reader, Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hi Samuel!

Here are some language features I have included that you should know of and how they affect the reader.

- Repetition: draws attention to and emphasises the idea/word/phrase/theme/concept. It highlights its importance.

- Personification: when an inanimate object is given human qualities. For example ' the television stared at me across the room'. Personification often makes the reader feel inquisitive.

-Imperative: This feature is mostly found in advertisements. Imperative is a command or an instruction. It forces the reader to take action for instance 'donating in a charity appeal to help starving children'. But then again, it can also be persuasive at the same time, by making the reader feel guilty too.

Metaphor:Metaphor is the feature that compares one thing to another. For instance, 'my brother is a monkey'. Metaphor is used to create a strong image in the reader's mind.

Rhetorical question: A question that does not require an answer. This feature is used to make the reader think about the possible answer and involve them in the text.

Simile: A comparison of one thing to another using words 'like' or 'as'. For example, "The raindrops fell like tears". Again, similes are used to also create an imaginative thought of what is being described.

Pun: is the use of word play, when words are organised in an amusing way to suggest another meaning. Puns effects the reader by making the situation humorous whilst showing the intended purpose.

Figure of speech: This is an expression that should not be taken seriously. For example, 'pigs might fly', meaning not that there is pigs flying past your window but that something is probably untrue.

Hyperbole: Hyperbole is exaggeration. For instance, when the piece of writing states something is 'the best'.

Imagery:When words are so descriptive they allow the reader to paint an image in their minds. Imagery is used to allow the reader to imagine the moment being described.

Symbolism:When an object is used to represent something important. (When people see a heart, they immediately think of love right? So that heart has a meaning behind it.)

Alliteration: When a series of words begin with the same letter. For example, ' the west wind whistled wildly'. Alliteration is used for a dramatic effect.

Irony: When words are used to imply an opposite meaning, or sarcastic language that can be used to mock. Irony is a means of expressing an attitude which is disguised by what what will seems to be obvious. The effect of irony is usually intended to be humorous, dramatic or tragic.

I hope these language features help for your exam. And remember! When explaining these language features, get your quotation from the text, explain how it affects the reader whilst using your language feature.

Good luck for your exam!
:biggrin:
P.S - here's are link to help you with more information on comparing texts.
http://kings-winchester.hants.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/exemplar-language-question.pdf
Original post by samuel12
I'm doing the language paper in a few weeks and was wondering how and what you could say about how language features. E.g. in January the question "compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts" - this was my weakest question as the only thing I thing I can think of to say is "it makes it stick in your head and want you to read on" i have no trouble finding the language features i just don't know how it is effects the reader - or I don't know how to put it on the paper anyway. By the way i got a B1 on this question...-_-

Can someone please help me out and tell me what sort of things language does to the reader, Thanks.

Hi Samuel!

Here are some language features I have included that you should know of and how they affect the reader.

- Repetition: draws attention to and emphasises the idea/word/phrase/theme/concept. It highlights its importance.

- Personification: when an inanimate object is given human qualities. For example ' the television stared at me across the room'. Personification often makes the reader feel inquisitive.

-Imperative: This feature is mostly found in advertisements. Imperative is a command or an instruction. It forces the reader to take action for instance 'donating in a charity appeal to help starving children'. But then again, it can also be persuasive at the same time, by making the reader feel guilty too.

Metaphor:Metaphor is the feature that compares one thing to another. For instance, 'my brother is a monkey'. Metaphor is used to create a strong image in the reader's mind.

Rhetorical question: A question that does not require an answer. This feature is used to make the reader think about the possible answer and involve them in the text.

Simile: A comparison of one thing to another using words 'like' or 'as'. For example, "The raindrops fell like tears". Again, similes are used to also create an imaginative thought of what is being described.

Pun: is the use of word play, when words are organised in an amusing way to suggest another meaning. Puns effects the reader by making the situation humorous whilst showing the intended purpose.

Figure of speech: This is an expression that should not be taken seriously. For example, 'pigs might fly', meaning not that there is pigs flying past your window but that something is probably untrue.

Hyperbole: Hyperbole is exaggeration. For instance, when the piece of writing states something is 'the best'.

Imagery:When words are so descriptive they allow the reader to paint an image in their minds. Imagery is used to allow the reader to imagine the moment being described.

Symbolism:When an object is used to represent something important. (When people see a heart, they immediately think of love right? So that heart has a meaning behind it.)

Alliteration: When a series of words begin with the same letter. For example, ' the west wind whistled wildly'. Alliteration is used for a dramatic effect.

Irony: When words are used to imply an opposite meaning, or sarcastic language that can be used to mock. Irony is a means of expressing an attitude which is disguised by what will seems to be obvious. The effect of irony is usually intended to be humorous, dramatic or tragic.

I hope this helps. Remember! When writing about language features, always quote and then explain the quote in your own words and state what feature that particular sentence/phrase is indicating, and how that feature provides that effect.

Good Luck for your exam!!
Reply 3
Very helpful! Thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 4
I also need a help in English please if it is possible
what do you need help in? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Wonders_That...
what do you need help in? :smile:

I do. I haven't studied English since 2011, resitting for a place into university. Sat 60% of it and currently on a grade B. In 4 weeks time I'll be sitting the exam and I have no time on my hands in order to learn everything. I can't remember **** ;p. Any advise will be appreciate such as what I should be revising mainly ect
Tasnem AM
Awww ya I do need thank you in advance
i have my boards on 20th and as we had mock exam I have got low marks and I want to know what is the main points to get high grades

The best way to improve your grades is firstly to study from your English Revision Guide. This personally works for me. There are two sections in the English paper. Section A: Reading and Section B:Writing. In order to achieve high marks in the reading section, revise the following topic thoroughly:
-Comparing Language (as you have seen from my previous post, revise those language features in order to help you when comparing two texts)
-Leaflets, reports, web pages : these are very important. Examiners tend to look for how well you understand the language, or perhaps they might as you to talk about the presentation features. If it is the presentation features type of question, DO NOT talk about the language. The examiners want you to talk about what you see. For instance, the colours a leaflet might use, the size of the font, how does it attract the reader? What is the purpose?

Examples of Presentation Features and their purposes:

Headline -the main heading in a newspaper, designed to attract the reader's attention.
Font - style and colour can vary throughout the text. Often it is possible to draw conclusions from the choice of the colour-scheme or font style. For instance, if a catchy phrase on an advert is highlighted in Bold, it's purpose is to draw the reader's attention, by using large capitalised persuasive words.
Capitals - often used to reinforce a point, by making it stand out. For example, if a newspaper's heading was in capitals, the reader would easily distinguish it from the rest of the text.
Logo - to represent a product or company
Photographs/Images - used to back up a certain information.

Analysing Language

Analysing language is quite straight-forward. When analysing language, look out for the following points:
-short sentences : can suggest excitement. For example ' He ran forward. The ball fell at his feet. He shot.' The use of these short sentences encourage the reader to read on.
-paragraphs: there are two different types of paragraphs. Long paragraphs and Short paragraphs. Short paragraphs can mostly used to attract the reader's attention, to pick the main details in the article or whatever the text may be. Long paragraphs are to provide more detail. Articles in newspapers have longer paragraphs and tend to more serious.

Also, use the language features such as similes etc, a lot, when analysing language!!

Vocabulary
You should be able to know the following kinds of words that are used in texts.
-imperative verbs are words that suggest an instruction (make sure to point it out in any texts, and refer it to how you think the reader would feel. Put it this way, imagine yourself as the 'reader', how would YOU then feel about the language?)
-persuasive language:when persuading, use the connectives such as 'however' , 'nevertheless' and 'indeed' to strengthen your point.

Okay, that's what I can tell you about section A. For section B, your writing skills are assessed. You should be familiar with writing letters, leaflets, reports and scripts. Exams tend to repeat these, so to practice use lots of past papers to test your knowledge.
Here are some links to help you:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/writing/

writing letters:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standard/english/lit_form/letter/revision/1/

:biggrin:Hope this has helped!
Original post by Maths94
I do. I haven't studied English since 2011, resitting for a place into university. Sat 60% of it and currently on a grade B. In 4 weeks time I'll be sitting the exam and I have no time on my hands in order to learn everything. I can't remember **** ;p. Any advise will be appreciate such as what I should be revising mainly ect

Okay, first of all, go back to to analysing language. Familiarise yourself with the key features and what influences they have on the reader. I would personally go back on those, revise their concepts and interpret them in a particular text(preferably articles) or you could identity them in different pieces of texts. Not only are you re-revising, but are you expanding your knowledge. You might learn something of which you never knew.

Then I would go for the past papers. Past papers are the best sources for revision. Look through the papers, and analyse the question. If the question asks you to describe, give as many valid points as possible. The more points made, the better chances you are in getting a high mark in that particular question.

If you see questions asking you how a particular text affects the reader, imagine yourself in that position, if the text is informative, would you feel informed?

Go over the specification needed for the exam, and write down any key information you think is important. And remember! Make a plan and follow each topic consciously!

Hope that helped! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey, that information is really beneficial for me as I had struggles with language features and what effect they had on the reader or based on a article etc. thanks for helping! Also, if you can, I would like basic information on presentational devices and what effect they have on a article or on the reader. Thanks again!
Hi, resitting english tomorrow, english language. I need help please! I dont really get language features and how to write!
Reply 11
Same it's bull**** somebody please help me with a list of language features and all the meanings so i can use them in my comparison question. I need to get my B grade tomorrow

Thanks
Reply 12
This helped me as well! thank you so much!!! :smile:
This is helping me out allot, I shot up from a grade E to a grade C in a few weeks.

Thx [h="1"]Wonders_That...[/h]
Reply 14
Anyone know of exam sites in/around Manchester that I will be able to join for GCSE English and maths, completing exams this year? Finally received my offers from Uni, unfortunately they will not accept my GCSE equivalents!...any advice welcome!
Original post by Wonders_That...
Hi Samuel!

Irony: When words are used to imply an opposite meaning, or sarcastic language that can be used to mock. Irony is a means of expressing an attitude which is disguised by what what will seems to be obvious. The effect of irony is usually intended to be humorous, dramatic or tragic.

I hope these language features help for your exam. And remember! When explaining these language features, get your quotation from the text, explain how it affects the reader whilst using your language feature.

Good luck for your exam!
P.S - here's are link to help you with more information on comparing texts.
http://kings-winchester.hants.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/exemplar-language-question.pdf
xx
xx
Can someone's please tell me what I can revise on am currently a grade E student and I am resiting gcse english language next year starting after summer holidays please email me so I know what I need to learn. [Mod edit: Use PMs]
Thanks you.
Reply 18
Hi i am preparing myself for english GCSE. I finished my education in different country so i am really confused and any help wil be much appreciate. Could somoene please tell me if i will have question to write an article how its supouse to look like. If I need to compare to texts do i write this like an essay or in bullet points? thank Youvery much
Reply 19
Hi i am preparing myself for english GCSE. I finished my education in different country so i am really confused and any help wil be much appreciate. Could somoene please tell me if i will have question to write an article how its supouse to look like. If I need to compare to texts do i write this like an essay or in bullet points? thank Youvery much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending