The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience

Hello...
I really want to get some work experience in Psychology as I want to do it at Uni. However, I am finding it extremely difficult to find anything. Does anyone where I could do some work experience relating to psychology in Birmingham.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Volunteering is the best way to go - anything involving mental health, children, homelessness, learning difficulties, stroke, prison etc. will be helpful for a Psychology degree. Look at vinspired.com or google some charities you might be interested in volunteering for.

It's possible to get experience with psychologists in mental health clinics or psychiatric hospitals, but incredibly difficult because there are so few opportunities and so many psychology students wanting them, so it's usually not an option.
Start by looking at www.do-it.org.uk.
Otherwise, options are Mind/Rethink/care homes for people with dementia/day centres/The Samaritans etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I've just had a quck search, maybe contact an organisation like Work The World (http://www.oneworld365.org/company/work-the-world) who offer medical placements, they should have something or if not have contacts! Good luck!
Reply 4
Hey!
I'm 17 but I hope I can help.
I'm doing work experience for psychology atm too, I'm doing it with the NHS, St Johns and Childline.
Childline starts you off into getting knowledge into children, St Johns proves you can work with people and under pressure and the NHS, well, it's good experience!
You can get in contact with St Johns via the website same applies to childline.
And mail the local NHS pct in your area, it's what I did!
Also, if/when your 18, volunteer with samaritans, it gives knowledge into adults. Then you'll have a range of working with children, adults and under pressure.

Also, as other people have been saying look around, try vinspired and stuff like that.
I'm sure you'll gain a lot of experience by doing these!

Paige x
Original post by PaigeSnow
Hey!
I'm doing work experience for psychology atm too, I'm doing it with the NHS, St Johns and Childline.
Childline starts you off into getting knowledge into children, St Johns proves you can work with people and under pressure and the NHS, well, it's good experience!
Also, if/when your 18, volunteer with samaritans, it gives knowledge into adults. Then you'll have a range of working with children, adults and under pressure.

Also, as other people have been saying look around, try vinspired and stuff like that.

Paige x

hi,
i just saw your post and I wanted to ask you how you got your experiance with Childline, because I would really like some.
Is it hard to get, I mean, is it popular?
Hey!

Paige x

Hi there,
What do you do with Childline?
xx
Reply 7
It depends what area of psychology you want to go into but generally work with children or help lines is good experience.
Have you looked at volunteering at your local youth club or after school clubs?
Reply 8
Original post by chocolateheart
hi,
i just saw your post and I wanted to ask you how you got your experiance with Childline, because I would really like some.
Is it hard to get, I mean, is it popular?

It is quite popular, all you need to do is go onto the website and click volunteer and all the details to get started will be on there!

:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Gemma :)!
Hi there,
What do you do with Childline?
xx

Hey!
Childline is an annonymous telephone councilling service which children can contact upto the age of 16 years old.

http://www.childline.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

They deal with all problems from bullying to abuse or just for somebody for the child to talk to basically.
They're run by the NSPCC.

Paige x
Hey!
Childline is an annonymous telephone councilling service which children can contact upto the age of 16 years old.

http://www.childline.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

They deal with all problems from bullying to abuse or just for somebody for the child to talk to basically.
They're run by the NSPCC.

Paige x

Yeah I know what it is I just wanted to know what you actually did.. I wouldn't have thought they'd let 17 year olds talk to children in that context- could be a bit delicate? I don't know. But if they do that's cool!
Reply 11
Original post by Gemma :)!
Yeah I know what it is I just wanted to know what you actually did.. I wouldn't have thought they'd let 17 year olds talk to children in that context- could be a bit delicate? I don't know. But if they do that's cool!

No no, they do. You have to be 16+, as long as your competant to do it. If you're just going to act immature and stupid ofc they wouldn't let you.
You have to go on quite a vigorous training programme, so I'm sure they rule out the people that aren't competant that way. I had no problems though!
Reply 12
It is quite popular, all you need to do is go onto the website and click volunteer and all the details to get started will be on there!

:smile:

How do you apply?
Hi, I'm going to be 17 in May and I'd like to do work experience for Psychology. To do it with NHS, when I email them, what do I ask? Like what work did you do in relation to psychology work experience? Thanks x
Try umbrella/camhs/rethink :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
another possibility is to contact a university psychology department and ask if they would like volunteer help with research in the summer holidays. You probably need to offer 4 weeks for it to be worth their while and you may find it's basically data input..
Reply 16
I'm 17 and interested in psychology also and so for my work experience I'm going to women's aid and a group for aged men with mental health issues, I also volunteer at a school for disabled children. There are probably a lot of these kind of groups and organisations near you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Which part of local NHS do you email? There are so many different fields
Reply 18
hi im 16 and im looking for work experience with children with emontial needs? do you know any websites? x
Hi I am 15 year and I was wondering where could I get work experience in psyolochagy I m in to why people do and what they r thinking and how they feel

Quick Reply

Latest