The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths - Non Calc Topic List?

Hey guys,

Me being a typical teenager (like most of us here) left some of this revision to the last minute :biggrin:

Would anyone be kind enough (I'd be extremely thankful) to post a list of topics that will appear ONLY in the calculator paper?

If it might be in the non calculator paper (or up to a certain extent - please state it)

(For example:

Find 10% of 1092 would be in non calc - however compound interest wouldn't
Wait... I'll give a list of topics, and could someone reply with which will be in the calculator paper?

Negative Numbers
Calculations
Significant figures and Estimations
Upper bounds and lower bounds
Decimal Manipulation
Ratio and proportion
Fractions
Converting Fraction, Decimals and Percentages
Percentages
Indicies
Standard Form
Surds
Angles
Circle Geometry
Isosceles triangle in a circle
Circle theorm
Pythagoras and Trigonometry in 2-D and 3-D
Perimeter and Area
Volume
Area and volume of similar shapes
Dimensions
Transformations
Drawing on Isometric grids
Constructions, Loci and Region
Nets
Plan and Elevation
Similarity
Congruent Triangles
Vectors
Expressions
Factorising
Sequences
Indicies
Solving Equations
Equation of a circle
Ineqaulity
Trial and improvment
Formulae
Graphs
Transformation of graphs
Direct proportion and Inverse proportion

--- I know it will take a little while - but I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you very much TSR.

Arron
Reply 1
Super Bump :smile:
Unfortunately, the thing is that any of these topics could come up. The difference between calc and not calc? How nice the numbers are...
Im taking this paper and I really need to revise to get an A* but i cant be arsed.
Reply 4
Original post by JediArron

This is just a guess:

Negative Numbers Possibly, but really they'd be more likely in non-calc so the examiner can see if you understand how negative numbers work.
Calculations
Upper bounds and lower bounds Some harder upper and lower bounds questions may appear on calc, they're more than likely to appear on non-calc.
Ratio and proportion Very likely on non-calc, possibly on calc if the numbers are complicated
FractionsSometimes there's algebraic fractions. Normal fractions wouldn't be likely at all to be on calc.
Percentages Some reverse percentages would be on calc.
Standard Form Possibly on calc, more than likely not to be.
Circle Geometry Harder questions may appear on calculator. Not likely though.
Isosceles triangle in a circle Harder questions may appear on calculator. Not likely though.
Circle theorem Harder questions may appear on calculator. Not likely though.
Pythagoras and Trigonometry in 2-D and 3-D Trigonometry would definably only be on calc, Pythagorus may be on non-calc if it's simple numbers.
Perimeter and Area Harder perimeters and areas may be on calc, not likely.
Volume Harder volumes, like of a cone, would be on calc. Simple volumes on non-calc.
Area and volume of similar shapes Defiantly calc.
Similarity Probably non-calc, but it could appear on calc.
Vectors Possibly on calc, possibly only on non-calc.
Factorising Harder factoring questions may appear on calc.
Solving Equations Harder equations, like using the quadratic formula would only be on calc, easy ones would be on non calc.
Equation of a circle If the equation isn't complicated then non-calc, complicated would be on calc.
Trial and improvment Defiantly calc - they wouldn't expect you to know 4.54 to the power of 3!
Graphs Unlikely to be on calc, but harder ones may appear
Direct proportion and Inverse proportion More than likely to be on calc.

Sorry, it seems as if most of the topics appear on both papers. :P

This is based upon past papers I've done.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Ah damn.

Thanks though :biggrin:
Reply 6
I am going to fail. But still I go downstairs and watch boxsets of Scream...Toodles x
Trigonmetry will not come up on Non Calc, as we dont get given tables to do trig from, also there is conversions or sales where it ask how much something will cost if it is on a sale Eg how much the camera will cost when usually it is £150 and if there is 20% off.
Original post by Rubbaduckzilla
Im taking this paper and I really need to revise to get an A* but i cant be arsed.

I Agree! I already know loads of stuff, I just cannot be bothered to revise anymore.. good luck in your exam :smile:
Reply 9
Why can't you be bothered? Just revise for the exams, and relax in the summer holidays. Why relax now, when you could be helping yourself to get a better grade? I guess it's hypocritical of me to sit here on a forum (clearly not revising at the moment) and ask why you're relaxing now, but I'm taking a break at the moment. However, it's all down to you... :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by JediArron
Hey guys,

Me being a typical teenager (like most of us here) left some of this revision to the last minute :biggrin:

Would anyone be kind enough (I'd be extremely thankful) to post a list of topics that will appear ONLY in the calculator paper?

If it might be in the non calculator paper (or up to a certain extent - please state it)

(For example:

Find 10% of 1092 would be in non calc - however compound interest wouldn't
Wait... I'll give a list of topics, and could someone reply with which will be in the calculator paper?

Negative Numbers
Calculations
Significant figures and Estimations
Upper bounds and lower bounds
Decimal Manipulation
Ratio and proportion
Fractions
Converting Fraction, Decimals and Percentages
Percentages
Indicies
Standard Form
Surds
Angles
Circle Geometry
Isosceles triangle in a circle
Circle theorm
Pythagoras and Trigonometry in 2-D and 3-D
Perimeter and Area
Volume
Area and volume of similar shapes
Dimensions
Transformations
Drawing on Isometric grids
Constructions, Loci and Region
Nets
Plan and Elevation
Similarity
Congruent Triangles
Vectors
Expressions
Factorising
Sequences
Indicies
Solving Equations
Equation of a circle
Ineqaulity
Trial and improvment
Formulae
Graphs
Transformation of graphs
Direct proportion and Inverse proportion

--- I know it will take a little while - but I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you very much TSR.

Arron

I'm not sure what exam board you're with, but compound interest was in the Edexcel non-calculator specimen paper, I think :smile: It wasn't such a hard question to do, though :smile:
Reply 11
Don't forget that some topics, e.g. area of a sphere may still be on the non-calculator paper, but may ask you to give your answer in terms of pi.
There a micture
Im probaby better than all of you at maths
Original post by gayassnigga
Im probaby better than all of you at maths

banter m9

Latest