The Student Room Group

Cambridge Architecture Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i think the story goes like this... they offered it, then they took it away, and apparently they are going to start offering it again. i'm not sure though, my source was someone on TSR and i can't actually remember who.
Reply 61
lol mm doesn't sound very good. i checked out there website, and theyre claiming they aint doing it. this puts any potential applicant in a position of insecurity ..
Reply 62
i think what i heard from a Cam graduate is that.... by the time the applicants for 2008 entry get to the part ii stage, they will offer it.
Reply 63
lol ok. perhaps its better speaking to em and gettin them to have a written agreement for it. it seems stupid that we have polys offering the course and cambridge can't get its act together
i think it was me who you may have heard it from, i've also heard that from 2008 it will start part ii again, working in conjunction with a firm. obviously something to check, but its not like a cam architecture student will have any probs getting into any other decent uni for part ii
Reply 65
thats what I have heard from their open day so I am sure that info is right
Reply 66
agreeeeee with above :smile: open day gave it all away
Hey, I'm kind of new to this thing but just wanted to know what you guys have included in portfolio and how much have you put in? Was told to filter what I show but now a bit concerned as to how not alot of it is architectural but more arty...
:confused:
So, basically, yeah, sooooo nervous! x
Reply 68
lucky_lady_cam
Hey, I'm kind of new to this thing but just wanted to know what you guys have included in portfolio and how much have you put in? Was told to filter what I show but now a bit concerned as to how not alot of it is architectural but more arty...

I don't think they're expecting an Architectural portfolio, as you haven't been taught that yet. However, I'd imagine they want to at least see some form of evidence of your spatial awareness and interest in the subject. You should receive more specific guidelines on what to include. In regards to the amount, it's really up to you to decide how much work to include, unless they've requested a specific amount. You should also consider that your time is limited, but try to fit in as much work as you think you'll have time to discuss. Hope that helps.
lucky_lady_cam

havent you got some info about protfolio in your interview letter?every college are focus on a little bit different stuff but none of them wanna see a specific architectural protfolio i think....
by the way,which college are you applying+when is your interview?:biggrin:
Reply 70
how long do you think we'll get to discuss the portfolio? 15 mins?

i'm only taking about 8 pieces, but if its less that 15 mins i'll take less.
around 15min or little bit more i think....
8 pieces? 8 A1 board? i think thats fine. but wont you bring your sketchbooks alone?
Reply 72
8 A1 pieces and 1 supplimentary sketchbook. (maybe 2 if i choose to include my exam book.) As long as i have enough to talk about for 15 mins i think i should be ok. mega nervous though :frown:
Reply 73
right ... i got problems ... teacher has selected me around 24 A1 boards with 2 sketch book and some thing i did in the work experience i had..... alone with a lot of photos on the site i went to .... (CCTV headquarters, the building designed by the architect i'm willing to talk about on the interview) ... i mean at least to get every information from my head to them .. this is going over 1 hour .. but my interview is around 30 mins .... :frown: .... do i leave stuff out? ....

also .. on my letter they said work related the architecture is strongly recommended .. donno if that implies to take some thing that you did relates to architecture i.e. architecture portfolio ?
I had about 4 images per unit - about.. err... max. 15 images. That was more than enough, would have been ideal to have a sketchbook, but like I said - they didn't ask for one in the letter, and when I arrived they did :mad:

They're the ones who ask to look at your portfolio, so you're not expected to keep referring to it.
My interview is in 9 days, on the 5th December, I didn't receive specific instructions for what to include in my portfolio, just got told about varied media, graphics work and how sketchbooks are welcomed, although was told that sketchbooks with stuff stuck in them from A2 aren't really relevant unless it leads onto a final piece that you want to put focus on, although obviously there are lots of different preferences just depends on the college it seems.
I've applied to St. John's by the way! What kind of things have u guys done for portfolio? It said on my letter that interviews are about 25 minutes each x
Reply 76
Guys calm... breathe!!
1) As for PartII they do an Environmental version, even I'm not quite sure what exactly it is, probably best to contact them directly.
2) In my interview they said 15mins which happened at the end, of course the discussion ran on so I remember the portfolio being a rush... but, one tip... if this happens to you, make sure they've seen the best bits. My interviewer said, right I think we should finish... he didn't mind though that I then said I really wanted to show them some of my life drawing (briefly but atleast it was shown) So take everything (if it's all relevant/ of a decent enough quality)
Errr... can't remember any other questions you had... feel free to ask though I may not be able to answer them until Friday.
Best of Luck
Em
Reply 77
that's interesting .. .. 15 min for every thing i have .. could be a bit hard since i have too much .. it weights around 5kg for what i'm taking :P
Reply 78
maybe you should take less then?
Reply 79
Secret_F
that's interesting .. .. 15 min for every thing i have .. could be a bit hard since i have too much .. it weights around 5kg for what i'm taking :P

are you mounting all your work or something?

also, roughly are you guys having in the portfolio that you are bringing to the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest