The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ethereal
A lot of TVs have internal aerials that mean you can receive some semblance of a signal.

Really?
Reply 41
SillyFencer
Really?

Yes - unfortunately all that is required to need a licence is that it is capable of receiving. It doesn't even have to be a decent pic.
SillyFencer
Really?

:ditto:

evidence for this? TVs have a lot of wiring inside and wires are good at picking up radio waves, and I've never heard or seen any evidence 'a lot' of TVs have an aerial in, so i must admit i am skeptical. And also if you don't use your TV for watching TV then you don't need a license, as has been posted in the OP of this thread, so I'm inclined not to believe 'all that is required to need a licence is that it is capable of receiving' either.
Reply 43
olileauk
:ditto:

evidence for this? TVs have a lot of wiring inside and wires are good at picking up radio waves, and I've never heard or seen any evidence 'a lot' of TVs have an aerial in, so i must admit i am skeptical. And also if you don't use your TV for watching TV then you don't need a license, as has been posted in the OP of this thread, so I'm inclined not to believe 'all that is required to need a licence is that it is capable of receiving' either.

:rolleyes: anything that can pick up a signal is an aerial. I'm not overly fussed if you don't believe you are required to have a licence for equipment which is capable of receiving - it's not me that is risking the fine.
perhaps you should read this:

http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templates/tvlicensing/main/answerPage?_mftvst:answerRef=%24http%3a%2f%2fapi.transversal.com%2fmfapi%2fobjectref%2fEntryStore%2fEntry%2fhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.metafaq.com%2fmfapi%2fMetafaq%2fClients%2ftvlicensing%2fModules%2flicensingInfo%2fTopics%2fgeneral%3a134832%3a4&_mftvst:moduleID=%24licensingInfo&_mftvst:topicID=%24&id=NGOU7C4R0153F0IH0II74GKOEO

Your Selected Question
What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

Official TV licensing response says I'm right. *shrug*
Reply 45
That only applies where said set cannot receive any TV signals. Look at it logically, no licensing authority is going to put in such a huge loophole. Otherwise you'll all be watching TV on your "games console only TV sets".
Ethereal
That only applies where said set cannot receive any TV signals. Look at it logically, no licensing authority is going to put in such a huge loophole. Otherwise you'll all be watching TV on your "games console only TV sets".

Where does it say that?
So far, I haven't seen you providing any evidence to back that up, when the TV License Authority are currently backing me up without question.. :s-smilie:
Reply 47
olileauk
Where does it say that?
So far, I haven't seen you providing any evidence to back that up, when the TV License Authority are currently backing me up without question.. :s-smilie:

The thing you looked at says "not used for" but you have to contact them and they may send an inspector round to check. If the inspector finds that the TV can receive. they will require it to be licensed.

The FAQs on government agency websites only ever give broad answers and often require you to get something further done which then more often than not removes you from the category you thought you were in.
Ethereal
The thing you looked at says "not used for" but you have to contact them and they may send an inspector round to check. If the inspector finds that the TV can receive. they will require it to be licensed.

The FAQs on government agency websites only ever give broad answers and often require you to get something further done which then more often than not removes you from the category you thought you were in.

I guess so. That makes sense, after all, but i expect i'd probably risk it (contact them and tell them and see if they let me) before applying for a license, 'cause it could work and there's no harm in trying ^.^
Reply 49
olileauk
I guess so. That makes sense, after all, but i expect i'd probably risk it (contact them and tell them and see if they let me) before applying for a license, 'cause it could work and there's no harm in trying ^.^

hehehehehehe indeed. I suppose it'd be more difficult to prosecute if they visit you and say you don't need one then decide you do.
haha, yep, that's certainly true =D
Reply 51
Ethereal
You still need a licence if you are using it for games if he TV is capable of receiving a signal even if you don't watch it. The licence applies to televisions that can receive.

This is incorrect I'm afraid, it has nothing to do with wether you *can* recieve a signal but by if you *are* recieveing a signal. Technically a box full of old wiring and bits of metal *could* recieve a signal if properly assembled.

A television set is not a television reciever if it is not used to actually recieve the signals, regardless of if it could or not.

Taken from The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004;

Meaning of "television receiver"
9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

Refering to Communications Act 2003, Section 363(1)";

Licence required for use of TV receiver (1) A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

So someone who only uses a TV for games has not installed it "for the purpose of recieveing.. television program services" and does not need a license.
Reply 52
Reue
This is incorrect I'm afraid, it has nothing to do with wether you *can* recieve a signal but by if you *are* recieveing a signal. Technically a box full of old wiring and bits of metal *could* recieve a signal if properly assembled.

A television set is not a television reciever if it is not used to actually recieve the signals, regardless of if it could or not.

Taken from The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004;

Meaning of "television receiver"
9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

Refering to Communications Act 2003, Section 363(1)";

Licence required for use of TV receiver (1) A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

So someone who only uses a TV for games has not installed it "for the purpose of recieveing.. television program services" and does not need a license.

Just because the set is not tuned in does not mean it isn't receiving a signal. By definition, an aerial is receiving a signal if it is in an area of coverage regardless of whether or not you have tuned your TV.
'for the purpose of recieving' is they key phrase in that sentence: It would be interesting to see them prove that you were using your TV 'for the purpose of recieving' when it's not even tuned in and you're only using a DVD player/games console with it. :rofl:
Reply 54
olileauk
'for the purpose of recieving' is they key phrase in that sentence: It would be interesting to see them prove that you were using your TV 'for the purpose of recieving' when it's not even tuned in and you're only using a DVD player/games console with it. :rofl:

They aren't going to let anyone get away with that - otherwise the way to avoid paying for a licence would be to not store your tuning and just retune every time you wanted to watch.
mhm.

well, you can happily be paranoid they're going to GET YOU for not having your TV tuned in, personally i'll happily risk it, what with it being written down everywhere that i'll be fine.
Reply 56
olileauk
mhm.

well, you can happily be paranoid they're going to GET YOU for not having your TV tuned in, personally i'll happily risk it, what with it being written down everywhere that i'll be fine.

If you ask them and get it in writing from then then probably so.

I watch TV, so I would never fall within an exemption anyway.
Reply 57
Ethereal
They aren't going to let anyone get away with that - otherwise the way to avoid paying for a licence would be to not store your tuning and just retune every time you wanted to watch.

What they are or are not 'going to let anyone get away' with is not of concern to me. The TVLA is a private company and has no powers above or beyond the law. The law very clearly states that you dont need a license if the set is not being used for the specific purpose of recieveing and viewing live television.

I think I'd rather follow what the laws obviously state rather then what you personally think a provate company would do, thanks.
Reply 58
Reue
What they are or are not 'going to let anyone get away' with is not of concern to me. The TVLA is a private company and has no powers above or beyond the law. The law very clearly states that you dont need a license if the set is not being used for the specific purpose of recieveing and viewing live television.

I think I'd rather follow what the laws obviously state rather then what you personally think a provate company would do, thanks.

The TV Licensing Authority is an executive agency of government. Furthermore, your interpretation of what the law "obviously states" is not the be all and end all as it is not you that would be making the decision. Regardless of whether or not you decide to watch the programmes, a TV with an aerial in a transmitter area is receiving.
Reply 59
Ethereal
The TV Licensing Authority is an executive agency of government. Furthermore, your interpretation of what the law "obviously states" is not the be all and end all as it is not you that would be making the decision. Regardless of whether or not you decide to watch the programmes, a TV with an aerial in a transmitter area is receiving.

The TVLA is a private company contracted to do some work, they are not an all powerful government organisation whom are beyond the law. They still need search warrents and theres no legal requirement whatsoever to even contact them.

My interpretation of the law is the same interpretation shared by almost every single tv-license related website which all agree you do not need a license to use a tv if you're not actually watching tv on it.

I'm not disagreeing that a TV is recieveing signals, however if someone is not using the tv for the purpose of recieveing signals then a license is not required. As stated in the law.

Quick Reply