The Student Room Group

Missed Job Centre Interview (sign on) Need Excuse!

Hi,

Last week, I signed back onto the JCA. The problem is, I missed the date of my sign on becuase I was used to going to original date. Now I know JC does its best to find the smallest excuse to make your life hell and not give you JCA so I need a very good excuse. The truth of the matter is, on that day I was in orpington/sidcup handing out C.V's but at the end of the day, I don't know if this is a excuse or not.

So far I have:

- Went Job Seeking on that day, handed out 50 C.V's in sidcup. Now, do you think they will ask for "Proof" ?

- I was ill and had a very bad fever. Would they stupidly ask for a docters approvel that I was ill? I mean, I was home treated.

Please help...

Scroll to see replies

Depends, when I was signing on they said you are allowed 2 periods of illness in a year of up to a week at a time.

So it may be a case of saying you were ill but then losing one of your 2 allowed periods

Or to go in and say you were handing in cv's and got mixed up with date.

Depends on when the appointment was, if it was before Thursday then it may be ok, but yes they use any excuse to make your life hell as with me last year I had to miss an appoinment after breaking my toe and was in hospital all day, but the new deal advisor was part time and wasnt back for 5 days and I had a holiday booked, they closed my claim and I lost about 4 weeks cash for non attendance and rejected my appeal.
Reply 2
So wait... I have 2 weeks worth of illnesses at a time? With or without doctor approval? I never knew that was an option.

Also, when was the last time you actually where told this?
Reply 3
Mrvn
Hi,
- Went Job Seeking on that day, handed out 50 C.V's in sidcup. Now, do you think they will ask for "Proof" ?

Lol my grandmother lives in Sidcup...

GL at finding a job there man, that place is dead..
Mrvn
So wait... I have 2 weeks worth of illnesses at a time? With or without doctor approval? I never knew that was an option.

Also, when was the last time you actually where told this?

Its within a year, and each time its for a week at maximum, any more then you would have to sign off and get sick pay.
Mrvn
Hi,

Last week, I signed back onto the JCA. The problem is, I missed the date of my sign on becuase I was used to going to original date. Now I know JC does its best to find the smallest excuse to make your life hell and not give you JCA so I need a very good excuse. The truth of the matter is, on that day I was in orpington/sidcup handing out C.V's but at the end of the day, I don't know if this is a excuse or not.

So far I have:

- I was ill and had a very bad fever. Would they stupidly ask for a docters approvel that I was ill? I mean, I was home treated.

Please help...

I work in Orpington, think they have part time/casual positions going at the Bromley Tennis Centre
Reply 6
Yeah, we just walked around for hours that day. I think we got to sidcup at 10 and went on till like 3pm... Went to orpington... basicly, where ever the 3.50 bus ticket took us :biggrin: Handed out an odd 50-60CV's.

Getting back to the subject, I want to call the JC now, so I can let them know. Does anyone know of a excuse that will work? My sign on was late friday afternoon (2:55) but I was in sidecup looking for work. Not sure if they will belive that or accept it as an excuse, thats why I asked.

I wanted to phone them now to let them know over the phone. What excuse would they accept? They close in about 30 minutes.
Reply 7
bumpy... I'm going to give them a ring in a min, at 9ish to give them an Excuse... Can tips? The only reason I'm so hesitent is because I lost my JCA last time and had to wait 1 month to be put back on. Can't risk that I'm affriad.
Mrvn
Hi,

So far I have:

Please help...

You had a family funeral to attend and it was out of town. Emergency, tried to contact them and let them know but you couldn't get through.

Either that or you had a job interview.

Handing out CVs won't be good enough from what I know. But they could ask for proof if you use the interview excuse and they'll ask you where it was etc. and you may have to forge a ****** letter.

I don't claim JSA or anything, this is what I know from others, but it comes from a trustworthy source. However, i think my local JC is known for being very strict (lots of chavs and people that have been on it for years, so i think they take that line with most people).
Reply 9
So I take it the "I'll" excuse won't work huh? I could say I had a bad feaver... And I just recovered and thought I'd give a call in.

Funny thing is, I think they might ask for "proof" from the doctor or something. (what ********.) Useally family illnesses are home treated.
Reply 10
the first couple of times they're fairly lenient, unless you're unlucky and get a real ********. don't stress over it.
Reply 11
So you say that I was ill would be the perfect excuse?
Reply 12
fever dream!!!
Just tell the truth. Either you'll get an ******** who wouldn't cut you any slack no matter what you said, or you'll have a nice person (there are some of those in the JobCentre too) who's more likely to help you if they know you aren't lying.
As above, when I was 20 I had a friendly advisor but one very by the book, as it was a few years ago now I cant remember the exact amount of forms I had, but this was back when jobcentres closed around 4.30 and my new deal appointment was at 4pm! was given at least 10 forms(though looking back I think it was more like double) and because I had so many plus it was late in the day I was tired and forgot that one of them was due to behanded in same day(how I could do that is impossible though!) so on my next appointment my advisor told me about the form and I said I forgot it was due in that day and handed it in next day and so she sent a form off and I had my money stopped for 6 months so I got something called "hardship" which was a payment of about £22 a week but your claim only starts after 2 weeks) about 6 years on I am still paying off the weekly crisis loans I had to get to top up rent and pay bills and food!
if u miss 1 appointment, what is the most money they can take off you? is it just cancelling that week's money?
Mrvn
Hi,

So far I have:

Please help...

Just phone, tell them you were out handing out CV's and lost track of time. You'll be asked to go in and do a late signing. Usually the worst that can happen is that you loose a couple of weeks money. If you can name some of the places you handed cv's into that'd help, it's a decent way of working out if you actually did or not.

Seriously don't lie, we're good at spotting liars and it'll definitely go against go against you if you're caught out.
Reply 17
I have a similar problem at this moment in time!

I missed a 6 month review thing which they are quite hot on. completly forgot about it so it's my own fault lol

I didn't even ring them

If i go in and say i forgot i lose at least a weeks payment. so i'm thinking I gotta come up with one hell of an excuse!

im going with a family emergency! that someone is ill in hospital and it's been a traumatic time

not the nicest excuse but those job centre people are quick to punnish you for something so i gotta try at least to get out of it!
Original post by heartbreak
not the nicest excuse but those job centre people are quick to punnish you for something so i gotta try at least to get out of it!

Yes because that's what they are there to do...punish you...

Seriously just go in and say you forgot. You may not loose anything if you go to the office within a week of the appointment, it'll just be delayed. If you lie and they catch you, which is possible since JCP staff listen to people try and lie all day, it'll go against you.

Oh and from now on just don't forget. How hard is it to turn up on time?
Reply 19
The bit about handing out CVs in Sidcup, it's like you belong in Pinter's "The Caretaker". I can't think of a clever joke about it though.

Sorry for a) not helping and b) making a reference that no one will get :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending