The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Mr Nonsense
Quick question: what did you write on your cover letter for DB as almost all of what I would normally say is covered in their competency questions?!?
Thanks

I heard a few people talking about cover letters, but as far as I know you don't need one.

Just the competency questions and the slightly lengthy work experience parts.
Reply 2041
Original post by lilly xx

work exp needs to be paid and reasonably long to count.

Oh, so we're all wasting our time by applying to SWs are we? :rolleyes:

That's such a ridiculous statement to make.

work exp like this shows two things, first that you've been exposed to the industry but probably more importantly, that you were good enough to pass through thousands of applications to get into a global firm. It adds credibility.

Just because it isn't paid or long enough doesn't mean it doesn't count on a CV.

You sound like you have a massive inferiority complex and are probably just trying to convince yourself that your lack of work exp doesn't compromise your chances.
Reply 2042
Original post by Zynx

work exp like this shows two things, first that you've been exposed to the industry but probably more importantly, that you were good enough to pass through thousands of applications to get into a global firm. It adds credibility.

Just because it isn't paid or long enough doesn't mean it doesn't count on a CV.

You sound like you have a massive inferiority complex and are probably just trying to convince yourself that your lack of work exp doesn't compromise your chances.

This. Completely agree with you on this but remember SWs are an overview of the overview - which are internships. I worked MANY hours/day in CS over the summer (WM internship in Zurich offices) and still feel as if I was drowning in all the technical knowledge graduates had to know, and this was only for a summer (14 weeks). Furthermore, competition for internships is so fierce now that I doubt these SWs will have a considerable impact on peoples' applications.

I'm not trying to devalue SWs, its just my view on them. If you feel you'll have a better chance then by all means go for them, I'm sure having an SW at a BB won't damage your CV.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi all,
I want to apply for spring weeks but some banks dont state out exactely how the application process works:
Do you have to do phone interviews / "real" interviews for every bank or are there some programms that select just from your application data (without interview).

How does the process work for foreign applicants (Germany)? Are the chances lower to get an offer, will you be invited to te ACs in London, too?

Thank you for your help. I just discovered this board and think its much greater than the German equivalent hehe *g*
Oh:
And how do I have to do my English CV?
Do you really have to mention all your coursework? Are there any examples on the internet?
Original post by SonnyZH
This. Completely agree with you on this but remember SWs are an overview of the overview - which are internships. I worked MANY hours/day in CS over the summer (WM internship in Zurich offices) and still feel as if I was drowning in all the technical knowledge graduates had to know, and this was only for a summer (14 weeks). Furthermore, competition for internships is so fierce now that I doubt these SWs will have a considerable impact on peoples' applications.

I'm not trying to devalue SWs, its just my view on them. If you feel you'll have a better chance then by all means go for them, I'm sure having an SW at a BB won't damage your CV.

Let me guess; you don't have any interviews or offers, do you?
Reply 2046
Weighing in on the whole spring weeks value debate...

I think it's really good to get one on the CV as it shows interest/commitment and ability (of progressing through interviews at least) for the career. Can't really see how it is anything but a bonus really.

I won't say it's the end of a career in IB if you don't get one, but it definitely makes things a lot easier if you can get fast tracked off one.
Reply 2047
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I think he accomplished/achieved by now more than you will ever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2048
Original post by tennismann3
Oh:
And how do I have to do my English CV?
Do you really have to mention all your coursework? Are there any examples on the internet?

Hast dich im Uniprotokolle Forum wieder angemeldet? Haha :P
nö, da komm ich nicht mehr rein
Reply 2050
Original post by i_hate_teeth

NONE, as a matter of fact, I don't even have an SW APPLICATION.
Original post by SonnyZH
NONE, as a matter of fact, I don't even have an SW APPLICATION.

You don't want to go into banking?
Original post by jevira
Warum hast du ein weibliches Geschlecht angegeben?!

Oooops, I did it the wrong way
Reply 2053
Original post by EBITDA.3
Just did the DB numerical and just sent RBS app.

DB - how long till you heard back?

RBS - how long till they send the logical reasoning test?

Thanks!

Hey sorry to keep questioning you about DB, but I have received an email from them a day or two ago and am gearing up to take the numerical. How did you find it?

Apologies for the rather stereotypical question, I always like to question about impending tests to abate my own fear :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by miml
I think if you fail either of the UBS tests you get a rejection email quite soon.

like how soon??
Reply 2055
Original post by thecodman
like how soon??

Not sure, someone else said a few hours.
Reply 2056
Original post by Zynx
Oh, so we're all wasting our time by applying to SWs are we? :rolleyes:

That's such a ridiculous statement to make.

SW's are different because they have a well-known purpose and the amount of applicants is recognised. Although, if you fail to convert spring weeks they can be counted as a negative - x bankk have met you for a week and chosen not to give you a summer offer.

The reason any other work experience needs to be reasonably long and paid is because it's shows they valued you, it's likely it was a structured programme with an open application process and you didn't get in through contacts and make coffee for the sake of putting something on your CV.
If you're not being paid, it signals that 1. you got in through contacts...which can be acceptable but not if...2. they didn't value you enough to pay you/the work you did didn't warrant being paid eg. you only shadowed.

If I had an inferiority complex i wouldn't be arguing in favour of work experience I don't have! I'd be playing down work experience! in fact, w.e I do have is similar to a spring week which you have bigged up!

Now, having some unpaid, short work experience is better than nothing, but my reply was in response to the ECvsWE question. In which case, a strong EC is better than short unpaid work experience because you have 'done' not 'achieved' in that work experience (you didn't beat other applicants and you didn't do anything valuable - otherwise they would have paid you).

If you have said type of work experience, chill, it will show that you have an interest in finance for a SW CV. Just don't rely on it for summer apps because then it will count for nadda.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2057
Original post by WHITKA
Hey sorry to keep questioning you about DB, but I have received an email from them a day or two ago and am gearing up to take the numerical. How did you find it?

Apologies for the rather stereotypical question, I always like to question about impending tests to abate my own fear :biggrin:

It's fine. It went alright, just a standard Kenexa reckon I got 2 wrong though.

But a few questions were the same as my CS test which was useful!
Reply 2058
Original post by EBITDA.3
It's fine. It went alright, just a standard Kenexa reckon I got 2 wrong though.

But a few questions were the same as my CS test which was useful!

Thanks! I'll do a practise Kenexa then stop putting it off.. hopefully see you at cs or db during spring! :colondollar:
Reply 2059
Original post by WHITKA
Thanks! I'll do a practise Kenexa then stop putting it off.. hopefully see you at cs or db during spring! :colondollar:

Lol hope so!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending