The Student Room Group

How do YOU study?

Hey guys, i'm a new guy on the forum, been here a week, maybe a bit more, already met a few troll faces, but met more nice people as well.

I just wanted to ask, how do YOU study?

How much time you spent working, and how much break time you take?
Do you read or re-write the important notes over and over again?

etc, etc.

I currently study like this; One hour on, 30 minutes off (I make some dubstep or call my gf, sex chat or something lol); 1 hour on; 30 minutes off.

When i do it though, i read and make notes (quite a lot). Then i cycle back through those notes, repeat them 5-10 times, they will never get out of my head that way, i have phenomenal memory, every time i check up with the doctor, he gives me 40 number chart, and i can recall each and every one of them (almost) 90% accurate. :biggrin:

How do you guys study?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
erm I'm quite like you in terms of studying 1:30 min on then the same amount on a break. however this is usually 2 months before an exams. 1 month before exams i wake up and revise till midnight. and so the same everyday till the exams are over. and this consists of learning the books inside out and being able to answer all past paper questions. make notes and condense them. be able to read the notes with out looking. and actually UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE WRITING.
Reply 2
Original post by Ishtiaq
erm I'm quite like you in terms of studying 1:30 min on then the same amount on a break. however this is usually 2 months before an exams. 1 month before exams i wake up and revise till midnight. and so the same everyday till the exams are over. and this consists of learning the books inside out and being able to answer all past paper questions. make notes and condense them. be able to read the notes with out looking. and actually UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE WRITING.

Very nice mate, from morning to midnight is a loooooong time, lol :biggrin:
Reply 3
If you have the audacity to dislike my topic, at least show a reasonable excuse
Reply 4
Original post by Ishtiaq

christ, easy with the negs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ameelia22
Ooh er, get you. Shame that's nearly impossible. You mean you'vememorised a whole textbook, which believe you me, sounds like a lot of time wasted - better off spending that time making actual notes, for you to read whilst looking which are condensed versions of your textbook(s), referabble, perhaps a few flashcards to learn some key facts, lots and lots (a forest's worth?) of past papers is just a few places to start. Many more techniques though, I personally use a range.

i revised like that and these are the grades i achieved.
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
maths - A
Ooh er, get you. Shame that's nearly impossible. You mean you'vememorised a whole textbook, which believe you me, sounds like a lot of time wasted - better off spending that time making actual notes, for you to read whilst looking which are condensed versions of your textbook(s), referabble, perhaps a few flashcards to learn some key facts, lots and lots (a forest's worth?) of past papers is just a few places to start. Many more techniques though, I personally use a range.

LOL you're dumb! The person put read notes without looking at them, meaning they know them off by heart. And these are notes, a condensed version of the textbook with all the important info in and all the crap cut out! So your post was completely pointless and obviously you are angry at something, don't take it out on people who don't deserve it!
Reply 7
Original post by EffKayy
So? Everyone has different techniques

precisely.
Reply 8
Original post by liiqweed
Very nice mate, from morning to midnight is a loooooong time, lol :biggrin:

yeah it is believe me! haha i suppose i just had loads of motivation and needed good grades so i did everything i could.
Reply 9

in order to learn and understand the topic you want to revise you need to learn from the main book. or lecture notes.
from there as i have already said you can make further notes. and yes there are many methods of revising and everyone has their own ways in which they find more helpful.
Reply 10
I study while walking around lol
And I take a break after let's say for example that I have to study 4 terms, so I say ok, when I finish the first I'll take a little breack. you should rest once every hour anyway.
Reply 11
I just do past papers, I repeat them about 2-3 times each. :smile:

I find it the best way usually because I know the content but not how the questions are worded :smile:
Original post by Ishtiaq
in order to learn and understand the topic you want to revise you need to learn from the main book. or lecture notes.
from there as i have already said you can make further notes. and yes there are many methods of revising and everyone has their own ways in which they find more helpful.

Boom, you said it right there. Learn, earlier you illustrated how you memorised - different things.
Original post by GreenLantern1
LOL you're dumb! The person put read notes without looking at them, meaning they know them off by heart. And these are notes, a condensed version of the textbook with all the important info in and all the crap cut out! So your post was completely pointless and obviously you are angry at something, don't take it out on people who don't deserve it!

Alright, calm down

I'm sure we mean the same thing, and it took me ages to figure it out, (must be all that dumbness oozing from me right?) but I see what you mean now - memorised notes I thought he was litterally memorising the textbook. My bad - but hey, at least i can admit it.
Reply 14
Re write out revision guides till I understand em
Reply 15
I don't yet, but I will definitely start tomorrow :erm:
Gap year, working full time so my revision method is something along the lines of this:

Get home at about 7, intend to start revision as soon as possible but end up bumming around then watch Eastenders.

Consume my weight in Monster/jelly beans, stay up 'till about 2am wanting to stab myself whilst doing some maths questions, make a few notes to sum up what I learned, go to bed for a bit, then read the notes on the bus on the way to work at 6:30 am in the pissing morning whilst pondering why on earth I didn't revise last year when I had plenty of time.
Reply 17
Original post by Skaterkid
Re write out revision guides till I understand em

Takes a while doesn't it? Breaks your head so much as well..

something something what? oh something something what! now i get it...... :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by salty_candy
Gap year, working full time so my revision method is something along the lines of this:

Get home at about 7, intend to start revision as soon as possible but end up bumming around then watch Eastenders.

Consume my weight in Monster/jelly beans, stay up 'till about 2am wanting to stab myself whilst doing some maths questions, make a few notes to sum up what I learned, go to bed for a bit, then read the notes on the bus on the way to work at 6:30 am in the pissing morning whilst pondering why on earth I didn't revise last year when I had plenty of time.

LMFAO! That's the spirit! :frown: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!!!

You can do it man, we got your back !! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Notes + Past Papers. 1 hour work then a 15 minute/30 minute break.

Quick Reply

Latest