The Student Room Group

Changing uni - when is the final decision deadline?

Hi, I'm currently in my first year as an undergraduate at uni and have reapplied to restart elsewhere. I've still not completely made up my mind, do was wondering if anyone knew, when the final deadline I've got to decide whether to stay where I currently am or go elsewhere is?
There's the UCAS deadline in May, so is that the time when I'd have to decide or could I put down a uni choice via UCAS and if I change my mind decide to stay where I am after that deadline?
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help!
Reply 1
The final deadline is the day you're supposed to go, really - although it would help for things like student finance if you could decide earlier. If you leave it that late you might also have issues with accommodation, as you may have signed a contract agreeing to pay for the whole year.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!! Ok, so say I'm currently at uni x, and have an offer from uni y, I firm uni y on Ucas, and apply for student finance and accommodation, I wouldn't have to tell uni x until, say June or sometime, or alternatively I could tell uni y I'd changed my mind and could stay at uni x?
Reply 3
Original post by Miko789
Thanks for the reply!! Ok, so say I'm currently at uni x, and have an offer from uni y, I firm uni y on Ucas, and apply for student finance and accommodation, I wouldn't have to tell uni x until, say June or sometime, or alternatively I could tell uni y I'd changed my mind and could stay at uni x?

Well, you need to apply for student finance for one uni - although this can be changed later - so put down whichever you think is more likely. Remember that many first time applicants will end up going to their insurance or through Clearing, so I would advise trying to decide by the start of August so if you do need to change yours then you've avoided the post A Level results rush. This should also mean you get your finance by the start of term.

And unless the two unis are in the same town, applying for accommodation may be difficult. Read any accommodation contracts carefully so you don't get stuck.

But for the actual UCAS side of it, it would be fine to tell uni y you're not going after you have firmed the offer. UCAS will send you an AS12 letter which can be used to inform them, or you can just send them an email. Giving them a lot of notice would be nice, but you don't actually have to.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Well, you need to apply for student finance for one uni - although this can be changed later - so put down whichever you think is more likely. Remember that many first time applicants will end up going to their insurance or through Clearing, so I would advise trying to decide by the start of August so if you do need to change yours then you've avoided the post A Level results rush. This should also mean you get your finance by the start of term.

And unless the two unis are in the same town, applying for accommodation may be difficult. Read any accommodation contracts carefully so you don't get stuck.

But for the actual UCAS side of it, it would be fine to tell uni y you're not going after you have firmed the offer. UCAS will send you an AS12 letter which can be used to inform them, or you can just send them an email. Giving them a lot of notice would be nice, but you don't actually have to.

Ahh ok, I get it now, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending