The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4600
I'm thinking of putting Bluebell as my first, does anyone have any advice or recommendations for en-suite accommodation?

So excited to have received an offer, just hope I get the grades!

Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 4602
Original post by ecknight
I'm thinking of putting Bluebell as my first, does anyone have any advice or recommendations for en-suite accommodation?

So excited to have received an offer, just hope I get the grades!

There are a lot of disadvantages to choosing Bluebell, have a look at some of the pages earlier on in the thread. The main ones that have been mentioned are price, and the fact that it's difficult to socialize with so many locked doors everywhere.

With regards to ensuite, I wouldn't say it's essential but some people would probably disagree with that. If you do go for non-ensuite then the communal toilets/showers tend to be cleaned for you almost every day, and most people rarely (if ever) have to queue to use any of the facilities.
Hi everyone!

I can't decide which halls to go for. Tocil was exactly what I wanted, but since it's not an option I'm trying to find the next best thing. I'm thinking Westwood at the moment as I'm not massively keen on partying but like a drink now and again, plus I'm in Theatre and Performance which is right next door to the halls.

How much of a problem is the number of people to a kitchen and how much space do you have to store kitcheny things? And what's it like being so far away from the union?

It's either that or Lakeside at the mo and I just don't think I can justify paying almost £30 more a week for kitchen size!
Reply 4604
Original post by ellakhawkins
Hi everyone!

I can't decide which halls to go for. Tocil was exactly what I wanted, but since it's not an option I'm trying to find the next best thing. I'm thinking Westwood at the moment as I'm not massively keen on partying but like a drink now and again, plus I'm in Theatre and Performance which is right next door to the halls.

How much of a problem is the number of people to a kitchen and how much space do you have to store kitcheny things? And what's it like being so far away from the union?

It's either that or Lakeside at the mo and I just don't think I can justify paying almost £30 more a week for kitchen size!

I was in Westwood. The kitchens are big to make up for the number of people and they're cleaned for you every other day. However they do get very messy very quickly after the cleaner has come although you can usually find a cleanish space somewhere even if it is a windowsill. It's great knowing lots of people though - we all got on really well.

You get one small cupboard each in the kitchen - I'd advise bringing only the equipment that you know you'll use on a regular basis. Some stuff that I didn't use so often I stored in my bedroom. In the fridge you get half of a fridge drawer each. This is roughly the same volume of space as a small fridge shelf in a normal fridge but because it's a drawer you can stack more things on top of each other and fit more in. In the freezer, there's roughly that volume again but per two people. What tended to happen was that people who bought a lot of frozen food had a half-drawer to themself and everyone else just stuck their things in anywhere.

If this seems small, bear in mind that you can go to Tesco and back in 15 minutes, so you can always just go shopping more frequently to save having to store too much stuff. In Lakeside you would be much further from Tesco.

I didn't really go to the union much, but others did go more often. Sometimes if they couldn't face walking all the way back, they would either get a taxi or use a free minibus service that goes around campus for people feeling vulnerable.
Reply 4605
Does anyone have a definite list of which halls will be open to first year undergrads this year? Or should I just wait until Warwick release it all? Thanks
Original post by jooj
Does anyone have a definite list of which halls will be open to first year undergrads this year? Or should I just wait until Warwick release it all? Thanks

Wait until Warwick Accommodation release it :smile:

You have until the end of July to apply (all applications before July 31st are treated fairly, there's no such thing as first come, first served) so there's plenty of time to make your decision.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I'm going for Westwood too, and I was beginning to think I was the only one! I was thinking Tocil because it would have postgraduates, that's quite a wide range of people to get to know... but Westwood's windows just did it for me. No questions asked.
Reply 4608
Original post by partickler
I'm going for Westwood too, and I was beginning to think I was the only one! I was thinking Tocil because it would have postgraduates, that's quite a wide range of people to get to know... but Westwood's windows just did it for me. No questions asked.

Those big windows are nice! I don't know if you've seen the halls in person or if you're basing your opinions on photographs but a couple of years ago they redid all the windows - they're still the same size and everything but just newer and (possibly) double-glazed.
Reply 4609
Hi everyone!

I'm doing theatre too! And I have no idea where to live either. From what I gather, Westwood is quite close to where theatre studies will take place (but don't hold me to that), and the walk from there to the student union wasn't massive. Quite a nice walk actually :smile:
Haven't checked the whole thread, but just to throw in...

Rootes D-H Block is being entirely refurbished this summer, with new curtains, carpet, bathrooms and kitchens
Reply 4611
Are we allowed to apply for acommodation already ?
Reply 4612
Original post by sirage94
Are we allowed to apply for acommodation already ?

Not yet, we have to wait until the end of April
Original post by Rivi
Not yet, we have to wait until the end of April

Sampdoria fan by any chance? :wink:
Reply 4614
Original post by simoncino
Sampdoria fan by any chance? :wink:

yes, indeed!

If you see a Sampdoria flag out of a window you'll can easily guess where my room is XD but I'm not sure in which hall I would like to live at the moment :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rivi
yes, indeed!

If you see a Sampdoria flag out of a window you'll can easily guess where my room is XD but I'm not sure in which hall I would like to live at the moment :frown:

Haha, well if you see a Milan flag - you'll know where I am xD
Original post by Meeeck
I'm doing theatre too! And I have no idea where to live either. From what I gather, Westwood is quite close to where theatre studies will take place (but don't hold me to that), and the walk from there to the student union wasn't massive. Quite a nice walk actually :smile:

Ahhhhhhhhh, you're the first person I've found who's doing theatre! Have you had your offer long? Westwood is literally right next to theatre and the walk to the union is about 20 mins. I'm thinking of getting a bike to get to the library and union to save time, plus I might get some exercise XD.
Original post by bluebirddreams
Haven't checked the whole thread, but just to throw in...

Rootes D-H Block is being entirely refurbished this summer, with new curtains, carpet, bathrooms and kitchens

And I believe Rootes J-L (and A-C ?) were refurbished last summer.
Ahhhhhhhhh, you're the first person I've found who's doing theatre! Have you had your offer long? Westwood is literally right next to theatre and the walk to the union is about 20 mins. I'm thinking of getting a bike to get to the library and union to save time, plus I might get some exercise XD.

I actually already planned to get a foldable bike for the reputed 'long walk'. ;D

Glad the theatre is so close! I'm not doing theatre for my degree but I'm quite involved with plays and would like to continue being involved. That's another pro for Westwood on my checklist. :cool:
Original post by ttoby
Those big windows are nice! I don't know if you've seen the halls in person or if you're basing your opinions on photographs but a couple of years ago they redid all the windows - they're still the same size and everything but just newer and (possibly) double-glazed.

Just photographs, unfortunately. Can't manage a visit to the university... I heard that they double-glazed it :smile:.

Where do you plan on applying? Sorry if you mentioned it, the size of this thread is too intimidating :P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending