The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leelad
Feeling physically sick about going to the barbers later. It's just so awkward when there's loads of people in there, I don't think I'll be able to go in if it's too busy. :frown:

In people's experience, how are their barbers if you don't talk much to them? I'm Worried that my barber thinks I'm rude/ weird because I never make small talk

I know how you feel I don't like going the hairdressers (once one of them cut about a foot off my hair and I didn't ask them too so I cried for 2 weeks), is there no one who will go with you?

They don't particularly mind I think if you don't talk much just explain what you want and they'll probably try and make a bit of small talk but just smile and give answers like hmmm, and yeah.

They won't think you are rude if you say like please and thank you at the end and the beginning your just too far in your own head to realise that you are NORMAL.
Original post by Leelad
Feeling physically sick about going to the barbers later. It's just so awkward when there's loads of people in there, I don't think I'll be able to go in if it's too busy. :frown:

In people's experience, how are their barbers if you don't talk much to them? I'm Worried that my barber thinks I'm rude/ weird because I never make small talk

This is a big problem for me, so much so that my hair has gotten into a right state, and I should have really gone months ago, but the thought of sitting there, having to make small talk with a stranger is pretty scary tbh, thats usually made worse when I see the barber having a long conversation with the person in front of me, and then there's me next saying hardly anything. I just imagine them to be thinking 'what a bore' or something, so I definitely know where you're coming from there.

Of course, a way round it is to just not care what a stranger that you probably won't see again for another several months thinks about you, and I'd imagine how much customers will talk to them will vary, some will, others won't, so maybe they won't think anything of you not saying very much and just get on with their job. And even if they do think you're rude for not making small talk (which is probably unlikely), its not like they're going to tell you or anything like that. Though, I wish it was as easy as just not caring what a stranger thinks, but obviously it isn't for us.
A week last Thursday I quit my job via text because the boss was an a-hole. I had my first sick day, in 7 months working for him, told him about it after I came out the doctors and then he took a shift away from me. The next time I saw him he really chewed me out and said 'oh you've got a problem with Sunday, there are things I want to say but I can't, I'm really angry.' things along those lines. Then he told me he is changing my pay day to a Sunday, and I realised he did that so I couldn't have it off. The next day is when I texted him I quit and today I have to go in to see him to get my wages and give in my shirt.

I'm really nervous and I will be taking my dad with me because I wouldn't be able to do it otherwise and god knows what he would say to me alone. I didn't sleep last night and I just want to hide in bed all day and not do anything. :frown:.
Reply 2923
Ffs, I've been doing so well with my emotional eating and general stress levels lately, but Mum's gone on holiday for a week, she got up to get to the airport turning the bathroom lights on, I couldn't get back to sleep because I felt my circadian rhythm was disrupted-then I ended up on yet another fairly big kitchen binge including one of the meals she'd saved for the fridge so I didn't get too worried about what to eat :frown: obviously means lost a night of sleep now.
Really cannot let this start being the norm again! Exams are next week!

On a side note, I wanted beta-blockers but according to the cardiologist I saw when anxiety was at its worst, they'd be a bad idea for me as my heart-rate's slow enough as it is. Apparently because of a sinus bradycardia (self-induced or hereditary? no-one knows, bugs me that) meaning my heart's already in fitness/athletic range. Really don't feel it mind :colondollar:
Reply 2924
Hello :hello:

I haven't posted for absolutely ages but I really need a place to vent!

I just got my dissertation mark back after months of panic attacks worrying about it and I ended up with 59! Which is a complete kick in the teeth after working for 9months on it and to be marked down a whole grade boundary from what he's described as a couple of typos and awkward sentences!

I'm also sceptical about this grade as the guy that marked it, is the guy that was trying to kick me out because my anxiety disorder made it hard for me to go and sit in lectures (I posted about this ages ago and thanks to support services at uni they made it impossible for him to kick me out).

I think this guy has a really ignorant view of mental health, I reckon he's either marked me down because he thinks because of my illness I'm stupid (which is crap because I've been suffering from it for years and been getting 2:1's at Uni). Or because I made his job a bit more difficult as he had to arrange various other methods of teaching for me.

Now I'm ridiculously upset about this grade, I've been in bed all day because I feel so unmotivated to do anything. Luckily I've managed to get a bit of revision done from my bed as studying at my desk has been giving me panic attacks!

I literally cried all day yesterday because of this mark :frown:

This guy has screwed me up so much this year, made my anxiety so much more difficult to handle than it needed!

URGH!

Hope the rest of you are doing OK

xxx
Original post by rm00097
Hello :hello:

I haven't posted for absolutely ages but I really need a place to vent!

I just got my dissertation mark back after months of panic attacks worrying about it and I ended up with 59! Which is a complete kick in the teeth after working for 9months on it and to be marked down a whole grade boundary from what he's described as a couple of typos and awkward sentences!

I'm also sceptical about this grade as the guy that marked it, is the guy that was trying to kick me out because my anxiety disorder made it hard for me to go and sit in lectures (I posted about this ages ago and thanks to support services at uni they made it impossible for him to kick me out).

I think this guy has a really ignorant view of mental health, I reckon he's either marked me down because he thinks because of my illness I'm stupid (which is crap because I've been suffering from it for years and been getting 2:1's at Uni). Or because I made his job a bit more difficult as he had to arrange various other methods of teaching for me.

Now I'm ridiculously upset about this grade, I've been in bed all day because I feel so unmotivated to do anything. Luckily I've managed to get a bit of revision done from my bed as studying at my desk has been giving me panic attacks!

I literally cried all day yesterday because of this mark :frown:

This guy has screwed me up so much this year, made my anxiety so much more difficult to handle than it needed!

URGH!

Hope the rest of you are doing OK

xxx

Could you as someone for a second opinion on the grade?
Feel like every things going downhill.

I've managed to lose 25lbs through feeling sick and not eating. Gone from 154lbs to 129lbs.

Endocrinologist appointment got cancelled , so now have to wait until 21st June for it. I will have waited 104 days for that appointment.

Still having panic attacks, worrying constantly, PTSD episodes, not sleeping, and my counsellor is an a-hole. Yesterday I hadn't slept and I went to the appointment in a state, and his solution was to suggest going to the doctors to get sleeping pills, when doctors don't prescribe them anymore. He then went on to say ''You know.. we're on our 13th session out of 20, and stuff keeps cropping up every week and I feel like we aren't getting anywhere" WELL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT.

I will warn people who are waiting to have CBT that they in no way tell you to do anything or bring you to any conclusion, they try word things to try lead your thoughts in a certain direction, so often you can come out of the sessions feeling like you haven't actually learnt anything. Pissed off.
Original post by Riku
Ffs, I've been doing so well with my emotional eating and general stress levels lately, but Mum's gone on holiday for a week, she got up to get to the airport turning the bathroom lights on, I couldn't get back to sleep because I felt my circadian rhythm was disrupted-then I ended up on yet another fairly big kitchen binge including one of the meals she'd saved for the fridge so I didn't get too worried about what to eat :frown: obviously means lost a night of sleep now.
Really cannot let this start being the norm again! Exams are next week!

On a side note, I wanted beta-blockers but according to the cardiologist I saw when anxiety was at its worst, they'd be a bad idea for me as my heart-rate's slow enough as it is. Apparently because of a sinus bradycardia (self-induced or hereditary? no-one knows, bugs me that) meaning my heart's already in fitness/athletic range. Really don't feel it mind :colondollar:

Awww I'm sorry to hear that. Just think when your exams are over I bet you will feel so much better. Sorry to hear about the beta blockers, I'm on them and it does say repeatedly through the leaflet that you can't take them if you have low blood pressure as they are designed to slow down your heart rate so that would probably be really bad for you. You should go see your GP as they could provide you with something else through stressful exam period.

Hope you feel better soon x
:cry2: times like this I wish I hadn't been so shy and **** growing up or I would have friends here so I had someone to talk to at least on MSN or something even.
Original post by SciFiBoy
:cry2: times like this I wish I hadn't been so shy and **** growing up or I would have friends here so I had someone to talk to at least on MSN or something even.

I totally know how that feels, pm me if you want.
Reply 2930
Original post by Amwazicles
Could you as someone for a second opinion on the grade?

I tried, apparently they won't appeal it unless there is substantial evidence for bias, and this guy is clever he won't make it apparent in writing or any other form.

Also it was marked by a second marker too, but this guy is the programme director, the second marker wouldn't easily be able to contest him.

:frown:
Original post by rm00097
I tried, apparently they won't appeal it unless there is substantial evidence for bias, and this guy is clever he won't make it apparent in writing or any other form.

Also it was marked by a second marker too, but this guy is the programme director, the second marker wouldn't easily be able to contest him.

:frown:

I know this isn't much consilation but at least if you've been getting 2.1's upto now and this was only 1 mark off a 2.1 I would say you'll almost definately finish on 2.1 which is a fantastic grade you should be really proud :smile:
Reply 2932
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
I know this isn't much consilation but at least if you've been getting 2.1's upto now and this was only 1 mark off a 2.1 I would say you'll almost definately finish on 2.1 which is a fantastic grade you should be really proud :smile:

Aw thanks, well so far this year I've got a 62,64,58 and 55 (from the same guy :angry:) and obviously the 59 diss mark.

I've still got 3essays due and an exam so I'm just praying I'll scrape that 2:1.

Urgh still stings getting a 59 for months and months of hard work though. :unimpressed:

Even more anxious about the exam than I was before I got the mark back.
I had a panic attack today, my first real panic attack for a couple months. :frown:

I've suffered really severe anxiety, I stopped working, left university and pretty much just stopped doing everything. I was put on Prozac, which had really awful side effects, I was suicidal & after a couple visits to A&E I stopped taking them. Since, I've had three months of guided self help which has made a huge difference, I feel like my condition is under control. But today I was just hit by a panic attack, I thought I'd be able to control it due to all the techniques I learnt at counselling but I just felt as though I was dying.

Basically I now have to make sure this doesn't stop me doing things that I worked so hard to be able to do. Even just going to my local supermarket is still a huge achievement for me, and I want to make sure I can keep enjoying my life!
Aww sorry to hear that Simone.
Don't see today as a set back. Are you still seeing your Counser you could bring it up at your next session.
Also don't keep it in your mind expecting it to happen as it may que you to have one when you shouldn't do.
It sounds like you've been doing really well, don't let it get you down hun!
Maybe talk to friends too, make sure you keep a support network around you at the minute, your doing really well
Sorry to hear that, Simone. I guess just try and focus on all of the progress you have made, and remember that everyone has blips sometimes.

I'm posting on here for the first time (I think, at least as far as I can remember, haha) as someone who has suffered from mild anxiety, on and off, for a few years now. I almost feel silly posting because, having read some others' experiences on here, I feel like my problems are really minor.

I get anxious about all sorts of things, even things I've done lots of times before, like flying, or things I know I shouldn't be worrying about. I had a bit of anxiety before coming to university, and it was at its worst one summer when I was waiting for my A-level results, I think, and I lost a bit of weight and was quite ill when I went on holiday with my mum (no panic attacks, though). The second I came to university, all my fears disappeared and I had an amazing first year. This year, however, I can tell I'm more anxious than last year, and my exams have been very stressful, and I can feel that old feeling creeping up on me again.

My main thing is being scared of not doing anything, so basically I can't relax or just sit back and do nothing, like you do on a sun, sea, and sand holiday. I always have to be out and about, seeing people, playing sport, whatever, as long as my diary is full and I've got something to look forward to- not a bad thing, really. It just means that when there are periods of time when I'm more aimless (like now, exams are over and though I have a job it's not many hours, so I'm just doing bits and pieces) I feel a lot more anxious.

I can tell it's partly related to hormones (it's a lot worse the week before that time of the month) and my dad has a history of anxiety, too. Plus, as a psychology student, I have a basic understanding of cognitions and the ideas behind CBT, so it's not like I'm completely in the dark about it.

It's just that I don't really know what to do...My anxiety isn't severe enough to warrant therapy or medication, as it doesn't stop me from doing anything, but it does stop me enjoying certain things that I know I'd have more fun with if I wasn't anxious. And as everyone on this thread knows, going about your daily life feeling even mildly anxious isn't fun.

TL;DR - I have mild anxiety sometimes. Is there anything I can do about it? Is it worth seeing someone?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any replies. And I also apologise if it seems like I'm whining over a minor issue, as my anxiety isn't as debilitating as others'.
Original post by llacerta
Sorry to hear that, Simone. I guess just try and focus on all of the progress you have made, and remember that everyone has blips sometimes.

I'm posting on here for the first time (I think, at least as far as I can remember, haha) as someone who has suffered from mild anxiety, on and off, for a few years now. I almost feel silly posting because, having read some others' experiences on here, I feel like my problems are really minor.

I get anxious about all sorts of things, even things I've done lots of times before, like flying, or things I know I shouldn't be worrying about. I had a bit of anxiety before coming to university, and it was at its worst one summer when I was waiting for my A-level results, I think, and I lost a bit of weight and was quite ill when I went on holiday with my mum (no panic attacks, though). The second I came to university, all my fears disappeared and I had an amazing first year. This year, however, I can tell I'm more anxious than last year, and my exams have been very stressful, and I can feel that old feeling creeping up on me again.

My main thing is being scared of not doing anything, so basically I can't relax or just sit back and do nothing, like you do on a sun, sea, and sand holiday. I always have to be out and about, seeing people, playing sport, whatever, as long as my diary is full and I've got something to look forward to- not a bad thing, really. It just means that when there are periods of time when I'm more aimless (like now, exams are over and though I have a job it's not many hours, so I'm just doing bits and pieces) I feel a lot more anxious.

I can tell it's partly related to hormones (it's a lot worse the week before that time of the month) and my dad has a history of anxiety, too. Plus, as a psychology student, I have a basic understanding of cognitions and the ideas behind CBT, so it's not like I'm completely in the dark about it.

It's just that I don't really know what to do...My anxiety isn't severe enough to warrant therapy or medication, as it doesn't stop me from doing anything, but it does stop me enjoying certain things that I know I'd have more fun with if I wasn't anxious. And as everyone on this thread knows, going about your daily life feeling even mildly anxious isn't fun.

TL;DR - I have mild anxiety sometimes. Is there anything I can do about it? Is it worth seeing someone?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any replies. And I also apologise if it seems like I'm whining over a minor issue, as my anxiety isn't as debilitating as others'.

You did used to post on here I remember.:ninja:

If anxiety is affecting your life and you feel you need to talk to someone about it then see a doctor or uni counsellor. It doesn't matter if others are going through worse it doesn't make your issues any less relevant.

My anxiety has gotten worse lately and I think I've realised why. I start university in October and I'm really excited can't wait to go and start over a new leaf but it doesn't feel real. I'm terrified something bad's going to happen and I'll never get to go. Anyone got any advice for this?
Please help! My anxiety is getting worse by the day and I don't know what to do any more :frown:
Basically when I was younger, I was really dumb and dopey :P Honestly, I just used to float through life. I used to be the lower sets for everything at high school but then my mum was really concerned about how poor my maths was, so I got a tutor in year 8. Before, that I mean I even got level 3 in a science test in year 8 and got moved down a set. Anyway, that tutor changed my life! I started to put so much hard work in year 9 (and bizarre as it sounds, if I didn't put the effort in, I would probably be a dumbass by now.) It was so important to me to the put work in year 9 so I could be put into higher sets/tiers for GCSEs. So, anyway worked super hard etc and from the lowest sets in year 9, I was put into set 2s/set1s (out of 7 sets) in year 10 and I also moved up to sets for 4 subjects. In year 10, I was awarded the science prize because my teacher couldn't believe a person from such a low set could move to the highest set for GCSE. Yeah so all good, anyway, I put all the effort in and got brilliant GCSEs and had in mind I wanted to do medicine. (I know sets etc is not a big deal, but for me it was at the time, it was the first time I had worked hard)

In AS first modular exams, did quite well but because I didn't get my 4A's, (got AABC) I cried and made a big deal about it. So it demotivated my for the AS exams. Also, there were issues at home that time, so a lot of shouting etc. Did AS levels and came out with BBBB (was really upset and was sure economics wouldn't be a B, so I got it remarked and it came back an A) Over the summer, went to lots of medicine open days etc/had practice medicine interviews, went really really well and had a practice one at Imperial too and at school for the people who had applied for medicine and they all went perfect. At Imperial, they told me I had the passion/reasons for choosing medicine etc, everything was right. So, any way I got predicted AAA for a levels and got two medicine interviews, but then got rejected post-interview. I was really ill in December had a chest infection so I didn't perform well at all for January A2 exams. I was interviewed at school why I didn't perform well when my target grades were AAA.

Anyway, I became obsessed and depressed that I wouldn't get my grades for medicine to reapply so I got BBBa in the end. I had to go through clearing, worst point in my life, called for 12hrs straight but didn't get a place. All my friends everyone moved on etc. I was at such a high when I got those medicine interviews and was now at rock bottom. Then, I decided I'll reapply to uni and wrote a really good personal statement. Now I've firmed Durham University. I'm so proud of myself, after all that, I'm still going to such a good uni. So, I resat in Jan 12 some exams, did well in some, got an A* in a chem module but didn't get what I needed to, it bumped my UMS but still need some more UMS. I need 5 more UMS in chem to get the grade and 16 UMS in maths. Cost me quite a bit, my sister paid everything. So, now I'm doing exams again in the summer to meet my offer. I don't know what to do because I keep getting really panicky. I get anxiety chest pain, really badly, my hands get clammy, I get severe headaches and a really upset stomach. I do work really really hard, do all past papers etc, but some how my panic just takes over me in the exam. I hate it. I've only done one of the exam for the summer, it went alright, but I'm so disappointed because I'm not gonna get full marks for it. (I checked the mark scheme on TSR) I just keep making stupid mistakes because of my panic.

My exam anxiety is getting worse day by day, I used to do really really well at school e.g. always used to get highest marks in the class but on the exam day, it's just something else. I've done these a level exams so many times, feels like a perpetual cycle of exams. But, it's the only thing that can move me forward.

I've tried being positive, going to look for some herbal remedies tomorrow but with exams round the corner (my last chance) I need to do really well and do them with a calm mental state. I also have a low self esteem, always comparing myself to others. But, I've stopped that now, I'm happy with what I've got, but I just can't seem to move forward because of this anxiety! I treat it like it's the end of the world, but only because I can't through that horrible clearing process again! I'm so excited for October but I don't want to disappoint myself or my mum again.

Any help!! I mean, I know I'm competent, I do everything right at home but can't seem to do it under the exam pressure. It's because I've done these a level exams so many times and just can't seem to get it right, so now I'm so scared of it and the outcome.

I really want to move forward in my life, I have a good plan ahead, it's just this one step that's keeping me behind and I need an A* in at least one subject.
Original post by Anonymous

Hy,

How much time do you still have?

- Have you already written mock exams under exam condition? I mean really with the same paper, the same procedure, time pressure (you can also lower the time for completing the exam in your mock exam, which gives you some security in the real one), more severe conditions?

- Do you some rituals for the exam?

- Do you do some sport every day?

- I have never tried some of them, but they exist some methods likes autogenic training that some people use to get over exam anxiety.

- Do you have something where you can get self-confidence?

- Write all down to get your situation into perspective, from my point of view, I can't see any point, why you wouldn't have a chance.

- Try not to be to focussed on the final grades, but really only use the marking shemes only to get better and to indentify your faults. (You know the usual procedure: write down, where you had troubles, analyse it and do only that part again. Not counting the marks and think about how many you still need to be perfect, by only learning that will come automatically and then even these 1 minute = 1 point exams become easier to handle.)

- Don't learn until the last minute and don't be too early in the exam room.

- Eat good food?

- Can you learn with others: "A problem shared is a problem halved."

- Don't grieve about retaking or failing, that is so common and so easy and nothing which is of real significance, it is more our perception which makes us feel so low and like the last person, who will be good in the exam, even that is absolute nonsense.

:grouphugs:
My exams are all over which is good :smile: however I'm a little freaked out about my French exam as I had a sort of mini panic attack in the middle of my exam. It was the listening part of the exam and I just couldn't understand any of it. I got upset and had to go out in my exam as I just couldn't sit there as the exam was getting to me. I calmed down then and got on with the exam however I'm still worried about the entirety of my french exam as I think what with me panicking, I probably dropped quite a few marks plus I want to take French next year to A2 but I'm worried that I may not have a good enough grade at AS to cope with A2 :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest