The Student Room Group

90 minutes brisk walk - how much calorie/fat burn?

I am planning to fairly briskly walk (i.e. walk with a purpose, but not OTT) for 90 minutes every evening now that the weather is fine.

Roughly how many calories and how much fat do you think is likely to be burned off each evening?

For example, if I use white crusty bread instead of brown bread for lunch, will this be burned off? Could I allow myself a regular Coke, rather than a Diet Coke, perhaps?

Scroll to see replies

Get a pedometer, to measure how much steps you take.
Andy Pipkin

For example, if I use white crusty bread instead of brown bread for lunch, will this be burned off? Could I allow myself a regular Coke, rather than a Diet Coke, perhaps?

You can eat normally, just make sure that you keep up with the level of fitness. But Brown bread and diet coke have less calories. Or you could get Hovis- Best of Both- white and brown bread.
Nasher and Basher
Get a pedometer, to measure how much steps you take.

The walk is probably around 5 miles.
what a waste

spend 10 minutes killing it on a treadmill to get a similar effect

only do it if you love walking or you are so unfit you cannot run.
Clubber Lang
what a waste

spend 10 minutes killing it on a treadmill to get a similar effect

only do it if you love walking or you are so unfit you cannot run.

I weigh 10st 11lbs and have about 2 st of fat on me, so I need to do the walking to burn it off.
Reply 6
Best of luck with the 90 min reg brisk walk! It is what i like to hear, someone with a goal and motivation to do something :smile:
Reply 7
In the summer I usually do a two hour walk near my local countryside, it is so wonderful and lovely. Atm though the only place I can walk is the city, the countryside is 15/20 mins walk away and its pretty horrible walking in fields at night!

I usualy just walk down to a far away supermarket or a far away take away if I fancy a walk, rather than walking to the nearest one.
Reply 8
Well this

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm

says you'll burn around 350 calories.
Reply 9
It's a shame you didn't pay more attention to your physics teacher in year 7.

Energy = Mass x Distance.
There's no point in walking for 90 mins and then drinking a coke. You lose weight when your diet and exercise regime are both good, not one or the other.
polka_dott
There's no point in walking for 90 mins and then drinking a coke. You lose weight when your diet and exercise regime are both good, not one or the other.

You lose weight when energy out > energy in.

I'm like Steven Hawking today.
Reply 12
polka_dott

I'm not sure the OP is trying to lose weight though... He's just asking how much will he have burned off, therefore how much of a treat can he have without putting more on. I do that occasionally: I go to the gym to be fit, not to lose weight - I don't need to. So knowing how much I've burned off in a day is useful for calculating whether or not I've earned pudding.
Reply 13
Andy Pipkin
I am planning to fairly briskly walk (i.e. walk with a purpose, but not OTT) for 90 minutes every evening now that the weather is fine.

Roughly how many calories and how much fat do you think is likely to be burned off each evening?

Wouldn't you loose more calories by running for just a few minutes.
Loser222
Wouldn't you loose more calories by running for just a few minutes.

Depends on mass x distance
burningnun
It's a shame you didn't pay more attention to your physics teacher in year 7.

Energy = Mass x Distance.

its a shame you didnt listen you your physics teacher in year 7...
work done = force x distance moved
http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/calburncalc.htm

according to this website... you put in the values 151 pounds and 90 minutes, you'll burn 489 calories walking on flat at 4mph (thats 6 miles) but if your hiking (going up some big hills) you'll burn 652 calories.

But if you went for a bike ride for that length of time you could burn between 870 and 1087... which means you can eat a whole extra sandwhich at lunchtime and still loose more weight tha. by walking.
rufus_da_bear
its a shame you didnt listen you your physics teacher in year 7...
work done = force x distance moved

Force in this case would be a function of mass... right?

As it happens I never listened to my physics teacher.
burningnun
Force in this case would be a function of mass... right?

As it happens I never listened to my physics teacher.

well force = mass x acceleration... but theres something wrong with that because the walker wont be accelerating so there wud be no force, which makes no sence atall. i think ill leave it to the magical websites.
This is year 8 **** :s-smilie:

Latest