The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Remember that in the sciences you can frequently get in even if you miss the required grades. UCL students with B's, manchester biology students with BBC, etc. I know many from my high school who managed to do maths/ bio/ chem/ phys/ engi having missed the required grades.
Glasgow has a really good physics department. The entry requirements will be lower but that's because it's a Scottish uni.
Thanks for the help everyone, I can't decide whether to choose Edinburgh or Liverpool. Edinburgh has Higgs (lol pathetic I know) but Liverpool is closer...

EDIT: Yep it's a new account, didn't quite like the name without the hyphens :smile:
Reply 23
I think Lancaster has a good Physics dept too.
J-E-N-O-V-A
Thanks for the help everyone, I can't decide whether to choose Edinburgh or Liverpool. Edinburgh has Higgs (lol pathetic I know) but Liverpool is closer...

EDIT: Yep it's a new account, didn't quite like the name without the hyphens :smile:

Edinburgh's department isn't anything special, but you should choose somewhere where you like the course and the location.
J-E-N-O-V-A

Edinburgh is MUCH better than Liverpool...

- better reputation
- excellent academics
- beautiful city
- friendly people
I've actually chosen Warwick, replacing Nottingham. Their offer is ABB for my A-levels!
Reply 27
BadExaminee
Edinburgh is MUCH better than Liverpool...

- better reputation
- excellent academics
- beautiful city
- friendly people

Away from physics (where I think Liverpool certainly has the edge) then Liverpool (the city centre) is a world heritage site. Although I think few cities can match Edinburgh, Liverpool isn't too far off.
WOLLSMOTH
Imperial/LSE/Ucl

Imperial has the best rep.

:laugh:

Imperial
Bath has an excellent reputation for engineering, nearly on par with imperial. Offers range from AAA to ABB. Not as strong on other sciences but still good.
Reply 30
hermaphrodite
:laugh:

Imperial

LSE is UOL. It shares science facilities with ALL the London unis. I do not see why it is so funny.
Reply 31
Imperial along with Oxbridge are not places to apply for looking for an ABB entry requirement for Physics/Theoretical Physics.

The best places for those subjects are gonna be Imperial/Oxford/Durham etc, less so Cambridge because they only do Natural Sciences. You can choose the maths and physics options i believe, but somewhere along the line you might end up doing a module or two that isn't Physics+Maths - might annoy you. Can't remember 100% had it explained to me by some cambridge teacher like 1.5years ago.

Anyway thats irrelevant because they wont give out ABB offers. Congrats on your offer from warwick though, ABB must be for maths / fmaths / physics? warwick is good for physics :smile:
happy-and-lost
Any of the Russel Group Universities. (Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle etc... Look it up)

Manchester is AAA-AAB.
Reply 33
WOLLSMOTH
LSE is UOL. It shares science facilities with ALL the London unis. I do not see why it is so funny.

Erm....because they do not teach physics?
decaf
Imperial along with Oxbridge are not places to apply for looking for an ABB entry requirement for Physics/Theoretical Physics.

The best places for those subjects are gonna be Imperial/Oxford/Durham etc, less so Cambridge because they only do Natural Sciences. You can choose the maths and physics options i believe, but somewhere along the line you might end up doing a module or two that isn't Physics+Maths - might annoy you. Can't remember 100% had it explained to me by some cambridge teacher like 1.5years ago.

Anyway thats irrelevant because they wont give out ABB offers. Congrats on your offer from warwick though, ABB must be for maths / fmaths / physics? warwick is good for physics :smile:

I've haven't got an offer yet! It just says on their website that they give ABB offers for maths, f.maths and physics. I'm only considering universities at the moment; haven't sent off my ucas form.
Reply 35
J-E-N-O-V-A
I've haven't got an offer yet! It just says on their website that they give ABB offers for maths, f.maths and physics. I'm only considering universities at the moment; haven't sent off my ucas form.

ah right then, my bad, sorry!
but if you're doing maths/fmaths/physics and want a backup-ish uni, warwick should give you an ABB offer - you can always contact them and double check.

plus the fact it isn't so much a 'backup' except for the grades, because warwick is fairly pro at physics.
Reply 36
Imperial is meant to be one of the best there is.
decaf
ah right then, my bad, sorry!
but if you're doing maths/fmaths/physics and want a backup-ish uni, warwick should give you an ABB offer - you can always contact them and double check.

plus the fact it isn't so much a 'backup' except for the grades, because warwick is fairly pro at physics.

Yeah I realised that too, was wondering why they ask for ABB though for such a prestigious uni, quite strange. I don't think I'm gunna bother putting any insurance uni's. I'll just take a gap year and retake if all goes wrong. Is this a good idea or not?
Reply 38
Imperial college and Manchester (merger between Victoria Manchester and UMIST)

We most certainly don't share science facilities within the UoL at undergraduate level. But I won't rule it out at post graduate level.
Reply 39
WOLLSMOTH

LSE is UoL in as much as students get a UoL degree.

LSE do not do Physics.

Latest