The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

St Hugh's College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Well as long as they aren't ridiculous in relation to some other colleges, it shouldn't be enough to put me off, should it? I'm quite looking forward to looking around. St Hugh's looks beautiful, and it seemingly has the biggest maths and stats intake out of all of the colleges (or maybe second to Worcester..) ... so if I got in I'd actually have FRIENDS!!!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
true, its a good question though because some colleges charge ridiculous rents for their students (an example that springs to mind -Wadham)
Reply 42
I'm interested in looking at the alternative prospectus for St Hugh's but the link from the JCR website hasn't been working for ages. Does it still exist or should I just be patient and wait until the link has been fixed? :redface: Thanks to anyone who can help.
^honestly, the alternative prospectus hasn't been updated for about four years or something. someone somewhere might still have it. who knows. maybe someone can persuade the A&AA/publications/first year officers to make a new one. maybe not.
Hmm yeah, I think we should make those first year committee personnel work. Tis a little blase not to have one up and running
Is this a popular college as in do they get alot of applucants per place?
it is one of the less oversubscribed colleges, but that doesn't really affect how easy it is to get a place; the pooling system means that its all pretty irrelevant. if you're good, you'll get in somewhere, wherever you apply. likewise, it varies from year to year and subject to subject. so don't apply to hugh's because you think its easier. it isnt. and personally, i don't want people to come here who applied here because they thought it was the easy route. that is lame.
heliotrope
it is one of the less oversubscribed colleges, but that doesn't really affect how easy it is to get a place; the pooling system means that its all pretty irrelevant. if you're good, you'll get in somewhere, wherever you apply. likewise, it varies from year to year and subject to subject. so don't apply to hugh's because you think its easier. it isnt. and personally, i don't want people to come here who applied here because they thought it was the easy route. that is lame.

well i had planned to apply before because of the basketball courts:biggrin:
Is St Hughs one of the tougher ones to get into? :smile:
Reply 49
Nah, it's not oversubscribed, probably due to distance from centre - which is exaggerated, btw - and the lack of really old buildings and not being particularly famous etc. So apply here! :smile:

On an unrelated note, one week until I go up (down) to Hugh's, yay. :biggrin: Any other freshers lurking around TSR?
Well Im no fresher, but there are a couple lurking I think...
Calum -- Hughs isnt one of the tougher ones to get into, dont mistake that as not being any good (a la peters :tongue:) but its underrated and nice. Walk into town is quite long. If i did postgrad id consider it
Reply 52
yep, i'm a fresher :biggrin: can't wait..
Reply 53
kabbers
yep, i'm a fresher :biggrin: can't wait..

Me neither! What are you studying? :smile:
Reply 54
Reverie.
Me neither! What are you studying? :smile:

I'm doing Maths & compsci. And you?
Reply 55
English...slightly panicking at how many books are still unread on my reading list at the moment. :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Reverie.
English...slightly panicking at how many books are still unread on my reading list at the moment. :s-smilie:

yeah i got sent loooads of maths work to do, so i can definitely sympathize.. but at least with reading lists you're not expected to do it all! also apparently we have to work in freshers week (so i heard from a second year mathematician).. though i'm not sure if there are any lectures :s-smilie:
Reply 57
Eek, I'd definitely rather read lots of books than have to do maths work. Work in freshers' week though, how rubbish. :rolleyes:

I know I don't have lectures then at least because I [rather geekily] had a look at the lecture list on the English faculty website. :p:
Reply 58
Reverie.
Eek, I'd definitely rather read lots of books than have to do maths work. Work in freshers' week though, how rubbish. :rolleyes:

I know I don't have lectures then at least because I [rather geekily] had a look at the lecture list on the English faculty website. :p:

i disagree with the reading point (hence me doing maths :wink:). ok i dont think i have any lectures, having looked it up, but i KNOW i have a test (albeit a formula test..). my maths tutor sent me a letter about it :frown:
AFAIK there arent ever any normal lectures in 0th week as its still technically vacation. Oh and I could never be bothered with the reading either!

Quick Reply

Latest