The Student Room Group

Scared to use the phone

I just simply hate using the phone. I always have some idea that whenever I'm using the phone I will either be ridiculed or somehow I won't understand them or vice versa; thus making the phone call really awkward.

I always resort to just using emails instead, this bothers me cause there are some important things I need to take care of (ESPECIALLY Student Finance)! But I just can't use the phone, I hate it :frown:

Is anyone else like this, or have you been? How did you go about it?
Reply 1
Anyone?
I was like this, but it was impractical to carry on being like it! :smile:

Just take the plunge. Write down a few notes to keep you focussed when you call and try to speak clearly.
Reply 3
Stop being such a pussy.
Reply 4
I hate using the phone too, but it's totally irrational. Just do it, I promise it's never any where near as bad as you think it will be.
Reply 5
Don't like phone cos my voice instantly stops sounding posh. :mmm:

Try an excise, make yourself chat about 10 mins each day, you'd get used to it. :smile:
Yeah I have the same problem! I am really worried that I wont understand what the other person is asking or that it will be awkward. I'm okay when I talk to my friends, it is just if it is people I don't know. I find that I have this anxiety too if I'm talking to someone who like works in a shop, like if I am taking things back etc. I stutter like hell! :/ x
I hate talking on the phone to anyone that's not my family or really close friend. I feel like a douche or something and get nervous when I'm about to do it and hate when there's a phone call I have to make so I put it off as much as possible.
Reply 8
You have social anxiety and you fear rejection in social interactions. Phone calls are social interaction in its purest form.

Make phone calls, practise and get used to them and your fear will eventually disappear.
I'm like this but then I just remember that I can slam the phone down at any point :smile:
Reply 10
I'm the same. There's just something weird about being able to hear someone's voice without seeing them. That said, I'd probably be the same with video calls.

I much prefer to talk in person or on the internet behind the safety of words. Nice, safe, words...
i think the answer youre looking for is "alcohol"
Reply 12
Jump in.
Yeah I used to be like that when I was younger, but then I got a job as a gp receptionist so I had to just get over it!

I find its easier say if your phoning up about a bill or sumthing, to know what ur going to say, have a pen and paper ready ect just so you dont get flustered

Hope that helps
Reply 14
Anonymous
I just simply hate using the phone. I always have some idea that whenever I'm using the phone I will either be ridiculed or somehow I won't understand them or vice versa; thus making the phone call really awkward.

I always resort to just using emails instead, this bothers me cause there are some important things I need to take care of (ESPECIALLY Student Finance)! But I just can't use the phone, I hate it :frown:

Is anyone else like this, or have you been? How did you go about it?

LOL I hate ringing Student Finance, they're always useless and contradict each other. This then gets me angry and I get all my legal BS out lolol

But nah, I'm not scared to use the phone, that's too far
pink_flower
Yeah I used to be like that when I was younger, but then I got a job as a gp receptionist so I had to just get over it!

I find its easier say if your phoning up about a bill or sumthing, to know what ur going to say, have a pen and paper ready ect just so you dont get flustered

Hope that helps

Haha exactly the same for me. First day of my job as a receptionist at a doctors surgery had to ring 30+ patients to tell them their appointments had been cancelled; I was pretty nervous but got used to it quickly and now making phone calls doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah I always do this aswell, jot down some bullet points on a piece of paper before you make the phone call to make a plan of the things you're gonna say in the convo.
Reply 16
im like this too, i also don't like answering phone calls from family or other friends if i'm with other people (whether it be friends or just strangers) , don't know why i just find it very awkward!
Reply 17
I hate talking on the phone and I e-mail whenever I can, but making a phonecall is an inevitable part of life so just do it. Make sure you write down everything you have to cover in the conversation and be ready to make notes of any information you are given. Then afterwards when it's over (usually about 10x quicker than you thought) remember how easy it turned out to be and carry that feeling on for the next time you need to make a call.
How do you people survive?

Latest

Trending

Trending