Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

PGCE interview at Derby anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ykh24
I was unsuccessful (they told me within a week, luckily!), and I'm not really agreeing with them that they look at the person as a whole. Their reason they gave me was that I didn't provide enough evidence for theory in the talking about behaviour management bit - seems a bit picky to me. I scored nearly full marks in the tests, and felt the one-to-one went fine, gutting to find out I didn't get a place just from one little thing.

Oh well, on to Nott Trent it is!!

Hmmm ur feedback does go against the " looking at u as a whole":frown:

I feel sick waiting.... But gd luck for ur Trent app
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hey :smile: Ive got an interview on the 4th of Jan for Early Years and Im really worried about it. Can anyone offer any information, and Ive heard the tests are GCSE level!!!! :s-smilie: Thankyou
Original post by mollymitch7
Hey :smile: Ive got an interview on the 4th of Jan for Early Years and Im really worried about it. Can anyone offer any information, and Ive heard the tests are GCSE level!!!! :s-smilie: Thankyou

The tests werent anywhere near as hard as I expected, the maths was mainly sums and nothing too complicated or difficult, science was pretty straightforward and english was just writing a few paragraphs about the book you read and a spelling and punctuation test.

Group discussion was ok as well, just stay calm and you'll be fine! Good luck!
Reply 43
Original post by flamingoshoes
The tests werent anywhere near as hard as I expected, the maths was mainly sums and nothing too complicated or difficult, science was pretty straightforward and english was just writing a few paragraphs about the book you read and a spelling and punctuation test.

Group discussion was ok as well, just stay calm and you'll be fine! Good luck!

I know it's silly but I'm worried about the writing a bit about your book bit... I have NO clue what they are specifically looking for!
Original post by tigergrowl
I know it's silly but I'm worried about the writing a bit about your book bit... I have NO clue what they are specifically looking for!

Oh they give you a list of what to write about, characters, plot etc. and theyre mainly checking your handwriting on that bit I think
Reply 45
Oh they give you a list of what to write about, characters, plot etc. and theyre mainly checking your handwriting on that bit I think

Oh gosh thank you! I was thinking of writing up a plan but didn't know what to start writing about!!!
Reply 46
Hi all

I have my interview on Friday at 1pm - eeekkk so nervous, especially as I have only just seen the email as Ive been away.

I asked the TDA about what level the book should be that I choose for the tests, they said ideally for the age range I want to teach. The book I have chosen is 3-7 years, I want to teach year 1/2. It is only a short book, does anyone know what they are looking for?

Also does anyone have any maths, spelling or science practice test websites they have found? I hate exams and go to total mush, any practice would be helpful.

Reply 47
Keep meaning to ask.... for the Early Years interview (or even general primary)... are we allowed to take in notes for the discussion?
Reply 48
Original post by milliemoo6
Hi all

I have my interview on Friday at 1pm - eeekkk so nervous, especially as I have only just seen the email as Ive been away.

I asked the TDA about what level the book should be that I choose for the tests, they said ideally for the age range I want to teach. The book I have chosen is 3-7 years, I want to teach year 1/2. It is only a short book, does anyone know what they are looking for?

Also does anyone have any maths, spelling or science practice test websites they have found? I hate exams and go to total mush, any practice would be helpful.

I recall reading from someone's post that they give you a set of questions to answer about the book, like what is the plot et, and it's just to see your handwriting!! (They want to see cursive (joined up) handwriting!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys

I had an interview for derby primary pgce in december 2010 and was successful! I'm currently a third of the way through the course and it's tough but very rewarding!!!

The spelling test has about 10 words, as per the previous poster, the book review is about checking your handwriting so cursive/joined up and neat is key... and also checking your spelling and grammar as well.

The tests aren't the be all and end all... it's more about showing you have a secure knowledge! If it is still the same about eight of you are taken into a room where you will have your group discussion on behaviour managment... my tip would be to remember to contribute but not be too over powering, let others speak as well. Back up any statements from experience and refer to reading! This is just my thoughts, but be yourself!!!

Good Luck! x :smile:
Reply 50
Thanks all. Now even more nervous I havent written joined up in years, luckily ive been practising since volunteering at a school.

When they want you to talk about behaviour management, how do you know what you have researched and read about is right? Is it about the challenges involved in providing the right learning climate to reduce negative behaviour and encouraging positive? Also what methods to use in certain behavioural situations?

What do you think we would need to know for the science test, its been years since I did science.

Sorry, lots of questions.

:confused:
Reply 51
My interview is tomorrow and I can't find the answer........ are we able to take notes in for the Behaviour Management discussion??? Thank you :s-smilie:
Original post by tigergrowl
My interview is tomorrow and I can't find the answer........ are we able to take notes in for the Behaviour Management discussion??? Thank you :s-smilie:

No you are not allowed to take notes in:s-smilie: well no one did when I went for the interview! it just has to be off your chest, not reading from notes. Good Luck
Reply 53
Original post by mollymitch7
No you are not allowed to take notes in:s-smilie: well no one did when I went for the interview! it just has to be off your chest, not reading from notes. Good Luck

Eek! Ok thank you!
Reply 54
Has anybody heard yet if they've been successful?
Reply 55
Original post by Muppetface
Has anybody heard yet if they've been successful?

Had my interview yday, they said we will find out in Feb or maybe even early March :frown:
Just got a conditional offer from Derby, my interview was 13th december - i'm so ridiculously happy haha :biggrin:
Reply 57
Ive had my offer too!!! I cant bloody wait, im so happy :-D
Just got a conditional offer from Derby, my interview was 13th december - i'm so ridiculously happy haha :biggrin:

Congratulations!! me too! So chuffed. Are you doing primary too?
Reply 59
I'm doing primary (5-11)....so excited!!

Congratulations everyone! Couldn't sleep last night at all!!

Quick Reply

Latest