The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology Results

Scroll to see replies

I got 95 ums in biol4 :biggrin: - well pleased, :smile:! Does anyone know if the biol4 boundres where as high as biol1? How many raw do you think this is :smile:?

Also, to those of you who are upset with your biol1 results, this time last year, i scraped an E (40ums), you've got plenty of time to resit and you'll do better next time! :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by 05dochertyf
I got 95 ums in biol4 :biggrin: - well pleased, :smile:! Does anyone know if the biol4 boundres where as high as biol1? How many raw do you think this is :smile:?

Also, to those of you who are upset with your biol1 results, this time last year, i scraped an E (40ums), you've got plenty of time to resit and you'll do better next time! :smile:

I agree i got a C but managed to pull it up to an A this Jan, i almost gave up but it is just a matter of trying again and not giving up! (bit of luck never hurts :tongue:) :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by Tullia
74 UMS is actually only 3 marks off an A for this paper.

Good luck with your resit. :smile:

Thats even better :biggrin:
and, do the grades matter? I though it was the UMS points that we should be looking at instead of the grades
Original post by Seatbelt
Thats even better :biggrin:
and, do the grades matter? I though it was the UMS points that we should be looking at instead of the grades

UMS is all that matters really. Although, if you were applying to certain Universities then I suppose they would prefer two module A grades at 80UMS rather than an A grade at 100UMS and a C grade at 60UMS, even though they come out as the same UMS.

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch of the imagination though, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
does anyone have the BIOL1 paper/mark scheme? i've found CHEM1 but not biology!
Original post by blueeyedgirl
does anyone have the BIOL1 paper/mark scheme? i've found CHEM1 but not biology!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1898916&page=181

BIOL1 MS is the first link.

:smile:

thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by 05dochertyf

Raw marks: 56/75
Well done!
Reply 68
I got a C (68 so only 2 off a B) in Biol4 after revising my ass off, doing loads of past paper questions and getting high Bs/A in them. I'd literally memorised the whole syllabus but for some reason when it comes to the exams I can never get higher than a B :/
Original post by mazboy008
Raw marks: 56/75
Well done!

Original post by gpostleth
I got a C (68 so only 2 off a B) in Biol4 after revising my ass off, doing loads of past paper questions and getting high Bs/A in them. I'd literally memorised the whole syllabus but for some reason when it comes to the exams I can never get higher than a B :/
You're not alone. I'm convinced what I wrote down was correct..just not what they wanted. So often during revision I'd do an exam question, be confident of my answer, and then mark it and realise they wanted something totally different. But I'd go and check to see whether the information I wrote was correct, and it was. It's seriously frustrating. Then, you don't exactly have enough time to list everything the could possibly want.

My problem is not reading the question properly. Maybe it's yours too? :tongue:
Either way I am stressing myself out already thinking of having to revise for BIOL4 and BIOL5 at the same time. I also have doubts about my abilities...what if the same happens again? I commit the whole syllabus to memory but dont put down exactly what they want? Might also help if I had a half decent teacher. I also think it doesn't help doing this in an evening class once a week. At least in college you have lessons almost every day rather than an entire topic crammed into a three hour class after a long day at work :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Nicolab2108

Either way I am stressing myself out already thinking of having to revise for BIOL4 and BIOL5 at the same time. I also have doubts about my abilities...what if the same happens again? I commit the whole syllabus to memory but dont put down exactly what they want? Might also help if I had a half decent teacher. I also think it doesn't help doing this in an evening class once a week. At least in college you have lessons almost every day rather than an entire topic crammed into a three hour class after a long day at work :frown:

My teachers are awful I swear this whole Alevel we basically have to self teach it ourselves, so then when it comes to applying the information to situations it's much harder because it's harder to self teach that.. I think I'm going to have to ask my teacher to go through some tricky questions with me and see if I'm answering the right thing, it may just be the wording of the question I'm getting confused with
Reply 72
88/100 for biol4 :smile:
thats 53/75 raw marks and 58 was 100 ums...
Original post by gpostleth
My teachers are awful I swear this whole Alevel we basically have to self teach it ourselves, so then when it comes to applying the information to situations it's much harder because it's harder to self teach that.. I think I'm going to have to ask my teacher to go through some tricky questions with me and see if I'm answering the right thing, it may just be the wording of the question I'm getting confused with
tell me about it! You're not also at Barton Peveril are you?!
Mine gives us worksheets she has written with gaps that we fill in. Then, in those are always several typos, and she gets corrected routinely by one of the students in the class. She also gives me absolutely no confidence in myself at all, because she makes it very evident she has no confidence in me herself. She hasn't gone through how to answer questions either. She also wants to cancel one of our lessons in may so she can go to her kid's school play!
Reply 74
is anyone doing biol 1, 2, 4 and 5 this summer?
I have a (D) and need at least a B :s-smilie: Im hoping it will be fine. it's my only science and i only have 2 other subjects to prepare for....

anyone else doing the same thing?
Reply 75
Original post by Nicolab2108
You're not alone. I'm convinced what I wrote down was correct..just not what they wanted. So often during revision I'd do an exam question, be confident of my answer, and then mark it and realise they wanted something totally different. But I'd go and check to see whether the information I wrote was correct, and it was. It's seriously frustrating. Then, you don't exactly have enough time to list everything the could possibly want.

In the revision guide written by the head of aqa biology (I think it's bill ince), he'd written "in order to do well in this exam [unit4] the student must put their mind in that of the examiners." .... Wtf?
Reply 76
Original post by Mina!SS
is anyone doing biol 1, 2, 4 and 5 this summer?
I have a (D) and need at least a B :s-smilie: Im hoping it will be fine. it's my only science and i only have 2 other subjects to prepare for....

anyone else doing the same thing?

I'm doing biol 1, 2, 4 and 5 this summer to :s

I did...
Biol1 Jan 2011=E and June 2011=U
Biol2 June 2011=U and Jan 2012=U
Biol3T June 2011=C and Jan 2012=C
Biol4 Jan 2012=U
Biol6T Jan 2012=E

Overall for my As i got 123 so just an E and that did not change after jan2012 resits as got exactly the same mark in biol2 :s

Fingers crossed that i improve for June2012 really would like a C/D and i do put the efforet in, i understand in class just doesn't show in exams :s
Original post by Jessberez
In the revision guide written by the head of aqa biology (I think it's bill ince), he'd written "in order to do well in this exam [unit4] the student must put their mind in that of the examiners." .... Wtf?
wtf indeed. I think the examiners must get lazy sometimes. Must get boring grading the same thing over and over. If someone doesn't have the same order of answers or in the same written manner as the mark scheme I reckon they get marked down. I swear that something on this mark scheme was even mentioned in the syllabus. Also, the textbook we're using lacks detail at times, takes a paragraph to say a simple sentence, and has a few inaccuracies that we came across.
I've ordered a bunch of other revision guides, blank flash cards and some prewritten ones to get me started. I need that damn grade!!
I got an A (88/100) in BIOL4! I couldn't believe it, that test was so difficult I was sure I'd gotten a C at least. I'm still not sure I got my own results :biggrin:
Managed to scrape an A: got 80/100 UMS for Biol4.

Will be sitting Biol5 in the summer and resitting Biol2 as well.

Quick Reply

Latest