The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Azland
Are U of T applications even still open?. Anyway for what its worth, which faculty/campus are you applying to? each has different requirements.

Also on an unrelated note, I remember you got an offer from UCL from the UCAS sub forum. Honestly, UCL would be better then Toronto. May I ask why you want to try for U of T at all?

Well I've already applied, I'm just waiting for a response now, it's been a little over 4 weeks now, I know they say 6-8 weeks, I have submitted all the required transcripts. Just waiting for news ._. So in the meantime I'm sort of trying to see whether I have a chance of getting accepted or not. Arts and Science Faculty, St George Campus. I have met all their minimum requirements though, but I'm thinking there will be a million and one other students applying who have met the minimum requirements, so I'm just seeing if I have a chance at all .-.

And yes I did, and I didn't meet their offer of AAA, I e-mailed them about it but they said no still. And I didn't want to re-take the B as my grades were good enough for my other 4 offers. Plus, I never thought I'd stand a chance at UCL anyway, applied to it just for kicks (honestly, no hard feelings at all :smile: Edinburgh is my Firm choice) and I thought I'd try applying to a uni outside the UK. It was honestly just a spur of the moment decision to apply to UoT.
Reply 261
Original post by CheyLYX
Well I've already applied, I'm just waiting for a response now, it's been a little over 4 weeks now, I know they say 6-8 weeks, I have submitted all the required transcripts. Just waiting for news ._. So in the meantime I'm sort of trying to see whether I have a chance of getting accepted or not. Arts and Science Faculty, St George Campus. I have met all their minimum requirements though, but I'm thinking there will be a million and one other students applying who have met the minimum requirements, so I'm just seeing if I have a chance at all .-.

And yes I did, and I didn't meet their offer of AAA, I e-mailed them about it but they said no still. And I didn't want to re-take the B as my grades were good enough for my other 4 offers. Plus, I never thought I'd stand a chance at UCL anyway, applied to it just for kicks (honestly, no hard feelings at all :smile: Edinburgh is my Firm choice) and I thought I'd try applying to a uni outside the UK. It was honestly just a spur of the moment decision to apply to UoT.

Ah, ok. Bad luck with the UCL offer. I take CIE myself, so I understand your decision to not resit. Especially since you have to resit either the whole AS or A2. I'm resitting a CIE exam myself in June. Anyway, good luck with U of T. My guess would be that you would get in with those grades.
Reply 262
Original post by Azland
Ah, ok. Bad luck with the UCL offer. I take CIE myself, so I understand your decision to not resit. Especially since you have to resit either the whole AS or A2. I'm resitting a CIE exam myself in June. Anyway, good luck with U of T. My guess would be that you would get in with those grades.

Nah, every dark cloud has a silver lining, at least now I wont have to worry about being broke by living in London! :biggrin: Yes, then you understand my refusal to resit for my B when it's completely unnecessary. Plus it (the B) is in Chemistry so that put me off even more! :s-smilie: What annoyed me for a bit was that the percentage I got was 79% xD And I was cursing myself for awhile! Now that I look at it, it's quite funny.. Good luck for your resit though :smile: Hope you get the grade you're aiming for!

Thank you for the vote of confidence but what makes you say that? O.o Does UoT base their admissions more on the academics then? They just really care about the grades? Yes, I'm getting very antsy waiting.. 4 weeks seemed to pass by really quickly and I didn't give it much thought till yesterday, when I checked and it has indeed been 4 weeks.. Now time seems to be moving awfully slow >.<
Reply 263
Original post by CheyLYX
Nah, every dark cloud has a silver lining, at least now I wont have to worry about being broke by living in London! :biggrin: Yes, then you understand my refusal to resit for my B when it's completely unnecessary. Plus it (the B) is in Chemistry so that put me off even more! :s-smilie: What annoyed me for a bit was that the percentage I got was 79% xD And I was cursing myself for awhile! Now that I look at it, it's quite funny.. Good luck for your resit though :smile: Hope you get the grade you're aiming for!

Thank you for the vote of confidence but what makes you say that? O.o Does UoT base their admissions more on the academics then? They just really care about the grades? Yes, I'm getting very antsy waiting.. 4 weeks seemed to pass by really quickly and I didn't give it much thought till yesterday, when I checked and it has indeed been 4 weeks.. Now time seems to be moving awfully slow >.<

Firstly, for your chem grade - Tough luck lol. Last year I got 79 UMS in English Lang aswell. Was so pissed but people in my class found it hard to relate since 95% of my class got a U lol.

They base it mainly on the academics. For some courses, you have to fill out a supplementary form which asks for extra curricular there. Even for that they dont consider it too much as its entirely optional to fill out the form or not. From what I've heard though many people with ABB-AAA have got into U of T in the past few years. Infact now that I think of it all my friends who tryed for uni's in Canada got U of T but decided not to go there in the end. You might want to check out stuff like student life @ U of T. I hear the work load is very hard and there's alot of grade deflation. Its considered very rare to graduate with a very high GPA there so it might not help you out in the long run for grad school applications. Just some of the stuff my friends found out before deciding not to go there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can somebody please help me on obtaining the address for sending the IELTS result.

I have applied to both U of T and mcgill for undergraduate studies in chemical engineering.

English is not my first language, so i took IELTS, scored 7.5 band, i need to send the result to both mcgill and uni of toronto. I am not sure of the address on which to send this.

For mcgill, i uploaded the other documents, but this can't be uploaded it needs to be sent by the ielts centre. I am not sure on which address should i send it.

For U of T, i sent my other documents to the engineering Undergraduate Admissions Office, they received the documents. I am not sure where i should send the english language test results.

Can somebody please tell the me the address where i need to send the english language test results for both universities.

Thanks in advance
Economcis at Warwick or Management at McGill? As a french student, I get to live in a french speaking city and get to pay badass fees, or Warwick basically.
My dream is to be an investment banker :colondollar: , so not sure which uni to choose.
Reply 266
Original post by Felchingman
Economcis at Warwick or Management at McGill? As a french student, I get to live in a french speaking city and get to pay badass fees, or Warwick basically.
My dream is to be an investment banker :colondollar: , so not sure which uni to choose.

I will kill for an offer for Economics at Warwick. I would go for that.

Warwick, if your dream is to be an investment banker in the UK and McGill if your dream is to be an investment banking in the US.

Simples.
Original post by Yash13
I will kill for an offer for Economics at Warwick. I would go for that.

Did you get an offer from McGill?
It's just McGill's student experience is one of the best in North America (definitely the best in Canada).
Let's just say it's not Warwick's strongest point. :biggrin:
Reply 269
Did you get an offer from McGill?
It's just McGill's student experience is one of the best in North America (definitely the best in Canada).
Let's just say it's not Warwick's strongest point. :biggrin:

Yeah I got into Faculty of Arts. I was planning to do a BA Honours in Economics but apparently the department is poo lol.

Montreal is definitely hard to beat for places to be as a student so I have heard.

Warwick is a bit boring so you should go where you will be happy.

However, the reward of doing the more valuable degree may affect your happiness as it would do for me. Thus, I would compromise on location for a better degree even if it is more expensive.

I hope you make the right choice!
Reply 270
Original post by Tsunami2011
Warwick, if your dream is to be an investment banker in the UK and McGill if your dream is to be an investment banking in the US.

Simples.

Don't go to McGill if you want to do investment banking in the U.S. It will be very hard to get in after you graduate. If you really want a good chance at investment banking you should apply to the U.S Ivy League schools or any of the top non Ivy business schools.
McGill's business school is not very good (however its other programs are all very good).

Canada's top 4 business schools are Richard Ivey at Western, Queen's Commerce, Schulich or U of T Rotmans.

Out of these, American banks like Goldman Sachs recruit mostly at Ivey and Queen's. In the end though, even Ivey and Queen's don't send many to the U.S. Banks in the U.S mostly recruit at institutions like Harvard, Wharton, Yale, Princeton, Stern, MIT etc. If you are seriously considering investment banking I would recommend applying to the U.S. Out of your two options I would choose Warwick.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi. Does anyone know when universities in Canada usually starts? Late September or October maybe?

I seriously have no clue as I'm overseas. (Though if everything goes well, I'll be joining McGill ^_^)
Original post by sevenbooks
Hi. Does anyone know when universities in Canada usually starts? Late September or October maybe?

I seriously have no clue as I'm overseas. (Though if everything goes well, I'll be joining McGill ^_^)

Here's the link for you : http://bit.ly/Idl1Pi
Here's the link for you : http://bit.ly/Idl1Pi

Sorry :colondollar: I thought it's one of those things that everyone just automatically know.

I appreciate your help though. Thanks. (for what it's worth, I did spend hours on the McGill website trying to find it...obviously I didn't do a very good job.:redface:)
Reply 274
Original post by Ishamo

Hey, i remember you saying that you deferred your acceptance to mcgill. is it relatively easy to do that? mcgill still haven't given me a decision (still saying reviewed - decision pending) but if i get accepted i may defer it because my first choice is newcastle here but if i don't get AAA then Im screwed basically Haha. So if I don't meet the Newcastle offer i'd ideally be able to take a gap year, save some money and go to mcgill the following year... so if they accept you are they quite likely to allow you to defer? thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sevenbooks
Sorry :colondollar: I thought it's one of those things that everyone just automatically know.

I appreciate your help though. Thanks. (for what it's worth, I did spend hours on the McGill website trying to find it...obviously I didn't do a very good job.:redface:)

Yeah but I'm the master of google, hence why I didn't struggle that much :cool:
Reply 276
Original post by ukmed108
Don't go to McGill if you want to do investment banking in the U.S. It will be very hard to get in after you graduate. If you really want a good chance at investment banking you should apply to the U.S Ivy League schools or any of the top non Ivy business schools.
McGill's business school is not very good (however its other programs are all very good).

Canada's top 4 business schools are Richard Ivey at Western, Queen's Commerce, Schulich or U of T Rotmans.

Out of these, American banks like Goldman Sachs recruit mostly at Ivey and Queen's. In the end though, even Ivey and Queen's don't send many to the U.S. Banks in the U.S mostly recruit at institutions like Harvard, Wharton, Yale, Princeton, Stern, MIT etc. If you are seriously considering investment banking I would recommend applying to the U.S. Out of your two options I would choose Warwick.

Goldman Sachs recruit at Ivey?! that's mad - I heard it was a good business school but didn't think they targeted there.

Would you say Ivey is the best b school to go to in Canada for undergrad?
Hello, this is actually my first post on the forum.

I got into McGill (physical sciences and biol. sciences, haven't chosen a major) and UCL (biology), and am waiting on my UofT application results.

A slightly different sort of question: I'm from the equator (Singapore), how manageable is the cold in Montreal? I'm pretty worried about that tbh.
Original post by sophrosyne

I got into McGill (physical sciences and biol. sciences, haven't chosen a major) and UCL (biology), and am waiting on my UofT application results.

A slightly different sort of question: I'm from the equator (Singapore), how manageable is the cold in Montreal? I'm pretty worried about that tbh.

I'm here now and around christmas time it was cold, very cold but it is manageable if you've got the money buy a "Canada Goose" jacket very very warm.

However by about march I was used to it and out in a tshirt and shorts at minus 1
Reply 279
Original post by sophrosyne

Ex-McGill student here. Postgraduate student in the UK now. When I was there, the coldest was -57oC (with windchill... You quickly learn to disregard actual temperatures and look only at windchill during the winter). It sounds awful but it's not so bad. You dress according to the weather. McGill's downtown campus is such that the vast majority of large buildings are connected underground, so you never need to stay outside much. The city is also well-connected with 40km of passages and corridors linking buildings and the metro (in fact, you can walk through as many as 6 train stations - Place des Arts, McGill, Peel, Place D'Armes etc, without stepping outside.

It's a fantastic city. The best place I ever lived. It has a nice cultural mix. The summers are amazing with all kinds of festivals (make sure you stay for at least one summer). Having studied in UK and Canada, I'd pick life as a student in Montreal any day.

I strongly recommend you stay in residences in your first year.... Lots of activities (and parties too) and you get to make really good friends. I lived in three residences for varying periods:

McConnell (part of a group of residences called Upper Rez), New Rez and Greenbriar.

In your first year, I'd suggest New Rez, if you don't mind the extra cost. It's the largest Rez, a former hotel, and has the best food (Its a restaurant and you get to spend the cash on your ID card on food in Rez and also on managed cafeterias on campus). The food was AMAZING there, though you run the risk of running out of prepaid cash by the end of the term, so be careful and budget properly, rather than have Shark Steak, your choice of pizza with your selected toppings and a dozen different types of dessert every night).

Upper Rez had a fixed menu back then, like most school cafeteria, with limited choice.

Greenbriar is perfect if you are more mature and love to make your own food (only choose GB if you will select a studio for yourself).

Don't worry too much about the weather. It's cold but very much livable by dressing properly, and in the cold months, you can limit the time outdoors without a drop in living standard.

Montreal is a fantastic city for a student, don't pass it up.

Quick Reply

Latest