The Student Room Group

Eating Pains Au Chocolat after best before?

I tried googling this, but didn't get an answer. I looked up the safety regarding eating bread after the best before, but that wasn't very informative either. (If it looks green, throw it out basically)

The problem is, the Pains au chocolat is still in its packaging, and the BB was 29th March. I didn't get around to eating it before, and I'm wondering whether it's still safe to eat? (Even if I cannot actually see any green through the packaging)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No not at all. You are in effect breaking several european laws by having such a dangerous product in your household
... you'll be fine.

The worst that will happen is that they'll be a bit crisp and dry
Reply 3
Just chuck it away. Why risk your health for something that will satisfy you for all of 5 minutes?
Reply 4
'Best Before' means just that.
it does not mean 'Fatal After'!
just warm them up a bit and munch away!
Reply 5
Unless it's obviously mouldy it'll be fine. I'd probably warm it up in the microwave though cos if anything it'll be stale!
yes it might be a bit stale though
Reply 7
Does it smell ok? Does it look ok? Yes?
Then eat it.
Reply 8
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
... you'll be fine.

The worst that will happen is that they'll be a bit crisp and dry

Original post by Infallible
Just chuck it away. Why risk your health for something that will satisfy you for all of 5 minutes?

... This is what I mean by differing views - all I want to know is whether it's actually safe, even if I can't see green 0_o

Thanks for the responses anyway, let me know any more views.
Reply 9
It'll be fine. Firstly it's a best before date, so all the date is doing is giving a guideline of when the product would have tasted better.

Things like meat and eggs have a use by date, so got to be more careful with them.

The majority of food I eat is after the use by/best before dates.
Reply 10
Original post by HotfireLegend
I tried googling this, but didn't get an answer. I looked up the safety regarding eating bread after the best before, but that wasn't very informative either. (If it looks green, throw it out basically)

The problem is, the Pains au chocolat is still in its packaging, and the BB was 29th March. I didn't get around to eating it before, and I'm wondering whether it's still safe to eat? (Even if I cannot actually see any green through the packaging)

I'd open it, look over it, sniff it then munch it. And spit it out if it tastes wrong :tongue:
Reply 11
Ok thanks guys, going to see what I can do on the microwave front :biggrin:
Best before means [on all but eggs] that the product is best before that date. However, it should still be perfectly safe to eat after that date - especially in this case, as it has only been a few days. The date refers to when the item will be fresh etc. I very much doubt that there is anything wrong with eating it now; however, you might not want to - it may well have gone stale. :smile:

Thus:
Safety-wise = should be fine.
Taste-wise / texture-wise = will be past its best. :smile:
I say go for it. They might be a bit stale, but should be alright.

If a food says 'best before' rather than 'use by' it should mean that although the quality of the food wont be the same if you eat it after the date it shouldn't be harmful.
Reply 14
Feed it to someone else and see if they die.
Reply 15
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
:lolwut: What the..?

Referring to?

(BTW: eating and all fine.)

Edit: you edited. Why not eat? Sarcasm?
Original post by HotfireLegend
Referring to?

(BTW: eating and all fine.)

Edit: you edited. Why not eat? Sarcasm?

I edited my post because I could not find the words to describe how stupid it was that you made a thread asking whether you could eat a pain au chocolat after a best before date. It is called a best before date for a reason; it just won't taste as good.
You will not die because you have chosen to eat it a few days late.
Reply 17
I edited my post because I could not find the words to describe how stupid it was that you made a thread asking whether you could eat a pain au chocolat after a best before date. It is called a best before date for a reason; it just won't taste as good.

I was wondering since it had been a few days since the date passed. I wouldn't mind one or two, but three or more is when it starts getting questionable. The advice - look, sniff, taste - helped :P
Reply 18

you could still choke on it though..
Best before, means the product is at it's best before the date given, it doesn't specifically say you shouldn't eat it after. Used by on the other hand means after this date you should discard it. Even if it had a bit of mold on it, the worst you would get is a sore stomach and some watery poop.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest