The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mel608
Thank you so much! It turns out I've been vaccinated for everything except Hep B due to holidays abroad to places where i've needed them. The nurse terrified me when she mentioned a £60-£70 price tag for 3 Hep B injections, but she's managed to give them to me for free by giving a different kind of first injection which combines Hep A and Hep B, which is free :smile: And no sore arm so i'm very happy with that! Oh no I hope you don't have to pay for them again :s-smilie:

I didn't have to pay for the course, so I don't think i'll have to this time either. I had Hep B+Hep A combined as well! My arm did hurt though after the jab - I hate needles :redface: On the other hand, my friend just got told £150 for the Hep B course :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
If you need Hep B vaccination to go to medical school or work in healthcare, the vaccination is free. Please make sure you inform your GP what the vaccination is for. Alternatively wait til you start medical school and occupational health will sort them out for free.
Reply 1902
They're only free through occy health, GPs don't need to provide vaccinations for free but they might if they're feeling kind.
I've worked in healthcare for over 10 years and have never paid for a vaccination yet. Used different doctors too. Unwritten rules are that the vaccinations should be free to healthcare workers.
Rejection :frown:

Yay! UCAS is finished!!!

Farewell and good luck :smile:
Reply 1905
Original post by Erotas
Are people taking their parents to the offer-holders open day?

Got an email yesterday and it reminded me of this

"You are welcome to being a parent along. Parents are able to sit in on the presentations and lectures but not the practical sessions.

Lunch will only be provided for applicants."
My son got rejected today (4th rejection so end of UCAS).
Sad as he really liked Newcastle.
Currently on a gap year although first time med. applicant.

Best wishes to all with offers and good luck to all those still waiting!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1907
I am going to firm Newcastle but I am really scared I might do something wrong and reject them by accident, anyone else have this :L
Original post by Nick526
I am going to firm Newcastle but I am really scared I might do something wrong and reject them by accident, anyone else have this :L

You remind me of Paranoid Parrot...

http://www.quickmeme.com/Paranoid-Parrot/
Reply 1909
Original post by Steerforth
You remind me of Paranoid Parrot...

http://www.quickmeme.com/Paranoid-Parrot/

Unfortunately I can't say I'm any different from Paranoid parrot. Apart from the fact I'm not a parrot, promise! :L
Reply 1910
Original post by Nick526
Unfortunately I can't say I'm any different from Paranoid parrot. Apart from the fact I'm not a parrot, promise! :L

Would be interesting to have a parrot as a doctor though...
JUST GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER!!!
I'm sooo excited, I thought I was for sure rejected but yipee I guess not!!!
Original post by iDream_iLive
JUST GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER!!!
I'm sooo excited, I thought I was for sure rejected but yipee I guess not!!!

Nice work! Firming?
Nice work! Firming?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guys, anyone know when we hear about what halls we stay in for the first year?
Reply 1915
Original post by WearyWill
Guys, anyone know when we hear about what halls we stay in for the first year?

I think I remember reading that it's after results day, when you know you're definitely going. Not entirely sure though.
Reply 1916
Yeh accommodation offers are given out early-mid July.
Original post by Beska
Yeh accommodation offers are given out early-mid July.

Do you know if this is the same for people who have firmed an unconditional offer. I vaguely remember hearing that I would hear back sooner. If so, any idea when?
Reply 1918
Do you know if this is the same for people who have firmed an unconditional offer. I vaguely remember hearing that I would hear back sooner. If so, any idea when?

Nope, everybody hears the same time. They assign and notify students of accommodation allocations on a single day (in early-mid July). They assign people in order they applied, with unconditional firms getting highest priority. So you'll be assigned first, but you'll hear on the same day as other people - it's a complicated system but hopefully that explains it OK.
Original post by Beska
Nope, everybody hears the same time. They assign and notify students of accommodation allocations on a single day (in early-mid July). They assign people in order they applied, with unconditional firms getting highest priority. So you'll be assigned first, but you'll hear on the same day as other people - it's a complicated system but hopefully that explains it OK.

Thank you for clearing things up.

Quick Reply

Latest