The Student Room Group

Can i go and sell drinks at Stratford Station during olympics

is it legal
for me to stand around and inside busy tube stations (not just olympic ones)
with cold cans of coke
and sell them?

the only thing i know is that i cant sell multipack cans which say (not to be sold separately) :tongue:

but is it illegal? is this called hawking?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's not illegal, remember to be polite and act like a nice person! lol. It really annoys me when people try to sell me stuff but come off rude and nasty.
Reply 2
I may be totally wrong, but I think it is illegal. You can only sell products if you have a license from the station and you need a small shop ( If you get what I mean, like in a corner or something). You can't just stand there sell drinks because of safety reasons, they will doubt what exactly is inside the can of coke you are selling. I would buy from you though. :wink:
Reply 3
yeah, the question of me being nice and presentable and someone trustworthy to buy a drink off is not the concern, i think i can pull that off :tongue:

what about on the moving tube trains, i could go from carriage to carriage on the tube selling drinks? i can only think of indian trains where hawking is illegal and i watched this programme "bombay railways" on the BBC and people selling stuff on the trains in mumbai were fined

i want to stand around busy stations selling cans of coke
or if possible go on the underground, on the platforms

but then come to tihnk of it, there are shops on many platforms and i would be taking away their business... so there must be some sort of licence :s

hmmm

gonna contact TFL :tongue:
This would be illegal without an appropriate license from TfL or the train operator (hence why you don't get lots of people selling things in carriages and platforms in the UK, like you do in 3rd world countries).

You are unlikely to make much progress with getting a license I'd suspect, unless you were willing to pay quite a lot of money for the premium.
Reply 5
Original post by Milan.
yeah, the question of me being nice and presentable and someone trustworthy to buy a drink off is not the concern, i think i can pull that off :tongue:

what about on the moving tube trains, i could go from carriage to carriage on the tube selling drinks? i can only think of indian trains where hawking is illegal and i watched this programme "bombay railways" on the BBC and people selling stuff on the trains in mumbai were fined

i want to stand around busy stations selling cans of coke
or if possible go on the underground, on the platforms

but then come to tihnk of it, there are shops on many platforms and i would be taking away their business... so there must be some sort of licence :s

hmmm

gonna contact TFL :tongue:

Like I said you need some sort of license or something, not just sell stuff inside the station but even just outside the exit of the station. Also, many stations wont allow you to sell products where they are already same business existing, because it will affect both of you.
Reply 6
The reasons rail companies can charge so much for food / drink is because there is no competition, I have a feeling that they wouldn't be too happy about someone ruining that situation for them (unless they had already paid them for the privilege like the shops at stations do).

I'd say just outside is probably your best bet, but it may still be possible.
I wouldn't buy a drink from a random person in the street when there are several reputable shops nearby. :erm:
It is illegal.
Reply 9
It's private land so it will be illegal without permission (tfl).

Same principle that you couldn't walk into tescos and start selling your cans of coke in their drinks section.

If you want to make some money during the Olympics, pimp some prositutes.

P.S.

That's definitely illegal, but you'll make more money and be less likely to get caught.
(edited 11 years ago)
probably need some sort of license to do so
Original post by whyumadtho
I wouldn't buy a drink from a random person in the street when there are several reputable shops nearby. :erm:

This even if I paid a bit more as at least I'd know it was much more likely to be the genuine product.
Reply 12
If you just walk around the streets with a cart filled with ice and drinks it would be illegal. However you have to be seen selling something by the police or a special council worker in a high vis vest. So just don't sell when they are watching. If they do catch you all that will happen is your little cart will be confiscated. This is how those people selling dirty rat meat hot dogs get away with it every weekend.
On the streets you need a license from the relevant council -Like Big Issue or Hot Dog vendors etc...

In the Tube station you'll need a license/permit from tfl/train company which you will no doubt be refused for. Stratford station already has a drinks/papers/sweets shop inside it and a florist/hot dog vendor/drinks vendor just outside. I go to Stratford often. :smile:

Also security will be really tight around Stratford station & Westfield. They wont take kindly to people selling crap at profit without a license and without getting a fair cut of ze dosh.
Reply 14
Original post by Elipsis
This is how those people selling dirty rat meat hot dogs get away with it every weekend.

:eek:
Who cares. Just do it.
Reply 16
Original post by Elipsis
If you just walk around the streets with a cart filled with ice and drinks it would be illegal. However you have to be seen selling something by the police or a special council worker in a high vis vest. So just don't sell when they are watching. If they do catch you all that will happen is your little cart will be confiscated. This is how those people selling dirty rat meat hot dogs get away with it every weekend.

yeahh those guys with hot dog carts i see after a night out! wondering how theyget away with selling that stuff, looks dodgy...
Reply 17
i emailed TFL, included a nice sob story about how poor a student i am and that the olympics are a good opportunity etc.

yeah, from all your comments, it does seem like it is illegal....
i probably wouldnt be able to afford a permit

damn TFL and their monopoly

stupid monarchy (irrelevant but i thought i'd put that in there)
Reply 18
It's not illegal it's just their property and they can (and will) tell you to leave.
Reply 19
Well your not paying tax so you know but i wouldnt be bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending