The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

So confused!

Am I missing a trick here with accommodation or something because no one seems to be going for the 4 person flats like I am!

I know there was a lot of talk of them only being available for third years, but the website said that the 37 week contracts for them were only for freshers and the option for them came up in the application.

I've got the e-mail confirming my choices and they're -
3 - Standard A Traditional 37 Weeks (£2678)
6 - Standard B Traditional 37 Weeks (£2549)
2 - Washbasin A Traditional 37 Weeks (£3090)
4 - Washbasin B Traditional 37 Weeks (£2942)
1 - Room in 4 person flat 37 Weeks (£2834)
5 - En-suite Room Liberty Court, Stoke 37 weeks (£3996)

But has something glitched with me or have I just indadvertedly chosen a horrible accommodation everyone hates??
I know I'm probably fretting about nothing but someone reassure me!!
Reply 1
Uh. It's not exclusive to third years really really. I think the whole "This is not available to Freshers/This is only available to Freshers/This is only for third years" seems to be more of a general guideline rather than a strict policy. In the same sense that Barnes is mainly dominated by third years but it's not FOR third years.
But I might be completely wrong, I'm only speculating.

Why no one is going for the 4 person flat, I don't know. I guess it's down to personal preference. E.g. I like having my own en suite so I'd go for that. :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Fair enough, I can't really afford an en-suite but don't like the idea of the massive blocks of people - I'm sharing a flat with 8 other people right now which is more than enough!
Reply 3
I've gone for the room in the 4 person flat, ensuite would have been too expensive.
Reply 4
Original post by megan.c
Fair enough, I can't really afford an en-suite but don't like the idea of the massive blocks of people - I'm sharing a flat with 8 other people right now which is more than enough!

Certainly. 8 People is OTT. I reckon there should be a limit of 6 people per quarter in accommodation but hey what do I know.

Original post by Girl.
I've gone for the room in the 4 person flat, ensuite would have been too expensive.

Oh yes. I can only afford it because I literally don't drink or go clubbing at all. It leaves me with a spending budget of 260 a month including food and everything.
I have to keep tabs on everything I spend. Seriously, if it wasn't for spreadsheets, I'd be in the red.
Reply 5
Original post by Girl.

Great - I'm not the only one then :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tamimi
Certainly. 8 People is OTT. I reckon there should be a limit of 6 people per quarter in accommodation but hey what do I know.

8 sort of works since it's small enough for everyone to get to know and trust each other but there's enough of us for there to be a lot of whispering behind backs. It creeps me out that you could have 80 people with access to everything but your room. I need to feel like I can leave my stuff lying around and no one will touch it
Reply 7
You can put down for a flat but priority is given to third years so its more likely you'll get your second choice. I think thats why people dont go for them as much.
As for the number of people in a block, don't worry guys! I'm in a block of 23 people and I thought it would be a nightmare but it's really not! You barely see some of them... and theres only ever like 4 people in the kitchen at once :smile: Its fun x
Reply 8
Ah ok then :smile:

It's just 'cause I'm at a different uni now with smallish flats so I didn't fancy too much of a change, with the big blocks are you able to store your cooking things and food in the kitchen without people nicking and 'borrowing' it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by megan.c
Ah ok then :smile:

It's just 'cause I'm at a different uni now with smallish flats so I didn't fancy too much of a change, with the big blocks are you able to store your cooking things and food in the kitchen without people nicking and 'borrowing' it?

Not sure what blocks are big blocks but at least I had space to store all my cooking stuff and food. Of course those that might be a bit more expensive and you're afraid it could be stolen should be kept in your room.

I had a few misfortunes of people using my stuff but nothing major really (used jam) and it resolved by itself... I guess befriend the room-mates so that they can be open about it

btw wow! Didn't know they offer off-campus accommodation now!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Catchetat
Not sure what blocks are big blocks but at least I had space to store all my cooking stuff and food. Of course those that might be a bit more expensive and you're afraid it could be stolen should be kept in your room.

I had a few misfortunes of people using my stuff but nothing major really (used jam) and it resolved by itself... I guess befriend the room-mates so that they can be open about it

btw wow! Didn't know they offer off-campus accommodation now!!!

Ah cool, I just got a bit concerned that they casually say 14 - 80 study bedrooms in a block as that sounds like a big amount of people towards the higher end!
Hawthorns has flats for four people that a lot of freshers are in this year :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
Hawthorns has flats for four people that a lot of freshers are in this year :smile:

Great, really hope I get one
I'm on an unconditional so from what I gather this makes my chances a lot better?

Quick Reply

Latest