The Student Room Group

Everything is chavvy on TSR

Alright maybe not everything, but most things have been called chavvy on here. What annoys me is when people make it seem like a brand used to be good then became chavvy because "chavs" started wearing it. WTF?? Its still the same brand!

Sorry had to get this off my chest. I dont know why people on here have the "I saw chavs wearing it so I no longer want to wear my hollister hoodie, superdry shirt, chinos, vans etc..." mentality.

Scroll to see replies

Or is it simply because you are a chav? :smug:
Reply 2
There's always going to be one person who has a negative view of something - or in this case, call something chavvy ...
You can't please everyone ...
Reply 3
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Or is it simply because you are a chav? :smug:

If were going by TSR standards, then yes I am a chav for wearing Vans :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by Dust Devil
Alright maybe not everything, but most things have been called chavvy on here. What annoys me is when people make it seem like a brand used to be good then became chavvy because "chavs" started wearing it. WTF?? Its still the same brand!

Sorry had to get this off my chest. I dont know why people on here have the "I saw chavs wearing it so I no longer want to wear my hollister hoodie, superdry shirt, chinos, vans etc..." mentality.

IMO 'chav clothing' is considered to be one of two things:

1. Clothing by brands which put massive labels over all of their clothing. Chav's always seem to be drawn to these types of clothes for some reason. Superdry and Hollister are prime examples of brands that produce this type of clothing so much of their range can be seen as chavvy.

2. 'Trend whore' clothing. Chav's are well known for all wanting to all look the same and shops like Topman and Burton aid them in choosing the latest 'chav whored' fashion trend by mass producing certain styles of clothing. Recent examples of this include mustard colour, 'drop crotch' and 'twisted' chinos.

So personally I think there's logic behind why certain types of clothing becomes chavvy and and you can avoid buying chavvy clothing by only purchasing 'classic' items of clothing, and avoiding ones that follow ridiculous trends set by Topman/Burton/etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dust Devil

You're missing the point. There is no such thing as a non-chavvy brand. All brands are chavvy by definition, because only chavs care about brands. Non-chavs aren't even aware of the brand of the clothes they're wearing, because they are interested in buying clothes with style and quality, not trying to impress their chav mates with how much money they have.
Original post by tsnake23
IMO 'chav clothing' is considered to be one of two things:

1. Clothing by brands which put massive labels over all of their clothing. Chav's always seem to be drawn to these types of clothes for some reason. Superdry and Hollister are prime examples of brands that produce this type of clothing so much of their range can be seen as chavvy.

2. 'Trend whore' clothing. Chav's are well known for all wanting to all look the same and shops like Topman and Burton aid them in choosing the latest 'chav whored' fashion trend by mass producing certain styles of clothing. Recent examples of this include mustard colour, 'drop crotch' and 'twisted' chinos.

So personally I think there's logic behind why certain types of clothing becomes chavvy and and you can avoid buying chavvy clothing by only purchasing 'classic' items of clothing, and avoiding ones that follow ridiculous trends set by Topman/Burton/etc.

Personally, I thought Topman and Burton are no where near chav shops.
Damn them chavs adopting good things and making them look common.

That's the real issue tbh. Hipsters are another example, some people don't want a style to become common or synonymous with anything.

I wear Docs and band hoodies and wear a lot of black to work as it's smart and easy to work with and don't like slipping over, wet feet or towering in heels. I get called Goth all the time and I'm definitely not a Goth.

I do like the 'Goth chocolate' my colleagues buy to mock me though- 70% DARK choc kit kats. :h:
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee

You'd think they'd be priced out but chavs do shop in Burton, Blue Inc and the obvious JJB/JD crap.

Topman is still a bit skinny fit for them-well, apart from the chinos-maybe.
Reply 9
Don't get me started on Voi...
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee

Exactly what I thought
It's not just TSR. I was wearing Vans, and a t-shirt saying, "I'm not a chav" the other day, but still someone came up to me and said I was a disgusting chav. I almost got out of his car and dropped his car stereo in surprise.
Reply 12
Original post by I<3LAMP

Topman is still a bit skinny fit for them-well, apart from the chinos-maybe.

Lol at chavs trying to act hard in chinos - they are technically old man trousers :tongue:
Original post by lapples
Lol at chavs trying to act hard in chinos - they are technically old man trousers :tongue:

I know! Old man trousers and fake band tees. :rofl:

If only something really camp became trendy enough for them. Like skirts for blokes or something..chavs are rubbish they just follow trends blindly and ruin our perception of it.
Reply 14
Original post by I<3LAMP
I know! Old man trousers and fake band tees. :rofl:

If only something really camp became trendy enough for them. Like skirts for blokes or something..chavs are rubbish they just follow trends blindly and ruin our perception of it.

You can't beat the sight of someone that clearly couldn't even name one of the Ramones or The Beatles. It makes me laugh :tongue:

There should be a general rule of "If you can't name them or their songs, you can't wear the tee" :colone:

or is that a bit demanding :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by lapples
You can't beat the sight of someone that clearly couldn't even name one of the Ramones or The Beatles. It makes me laugh :tongue:

There should be a general rule of "If you can't name them or their songs, you can't wear the tee" :colone:

or is that a bit demanding :tongue:

also Pink Floyd, there's always a Pink Floyd!

also: I actually quite like Hollister. They do nice vest tops and summer clothes, plus it is pretty much all good quality stuff. I don't like their hoodies or tops with "Hollister" sprawled across them though :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by rawragee
also Pink Floyd, there's always a Pink Floyd!

also: I actually quite like Hollister. They do nice vest tops and summer clothes, plus it is pretty much all good quality stuff. I don't like their hoodies or tops with "Hollister" sprawled across them though :colondollar:

Good point :tongue:

There is that kinda thing with every brand though, often the nice stuff is the pretty stuff that is really understated :smile:
Reply 17
I don't wear socks because Hitler wore socks. Seriously.
I know mustard is a bit samey considering how much it is used by Topman and Burton etc.

But is it acceptable to wear it with the same colour roll enck?

:biggrin:
Original post by RobML
I don't wear socks because Hitler wore socks. Seriously.

Got a problem with my fashion logic? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest