The Student Room Group

English Literature AQA OF MICE AND MEN predicted questions 22nd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I REALLY do hate English Literature and if it were my way it would not be compulsory. It isn't necessary at all uness you're wanting to take it further. Urgh.
Original post by Rose393
I hope Curleys wife, what do you write about for Slim?!

his appearance, the way he wears what the other men wear but he is still in a way different although he looks the same. also the way that he has a nice side but also a bad side when he provokes someone to shoot someone else's dog i think its candy's dog. and as long as you provide evidence and pick a little to write a lot on you will be sure to get into the high bands :smile: hope this helped
Reply 82
Is this an open-book exam?
Reply 83
Original post by sheepstick
his appearance, the way he wears what the other men wear but he is still in a way different although he looks the same. also the way that he has a nice side but also a bad side when he provokes someone to shoot someone else's dog i think its candy's dog. and as long as you provide evidence and pick a little to write a lot on you will be sure to get into the high bands :smile: hope this helped

thankyou :smile:
Original post by sheepstick

He is referred to as the "prince of the ranch" and has "authority".

This is demonstrated when he convinces Curley to say he damaged his hand rather than telling everyone Lennie had done it. This shows that Slim, because of his excellence in agricultural skills, has gained power in the ranch so that can even influence the Boss' son.

Going back to how he is a "prince of the ranch". He is also described as moving with "majesty" that is only achieved by "master craftsmen".

He is often linked with God, such as where he is said to have an "understanding beyond thought" and his hands are compared to those of a "temple dancer." He is also described as being sort of ageless, where Steinbeck says he could be "thirty-five or fifty".

I hope I helped. :biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by pixar00911
that's difficult but i think it might be curley's wife or crooks

crooks came up in the specimen paper so not sure if they would give us him
Reply 86
This is really freaking me out, because i dont know anything about the language, what is metaphor or simile or whatever. but this was my teachers introduction about curley's wife mocking candy, crooks, and lennie:

-In the extract, curley's wife is presented as bitter and spiteful when she mocks candy, crooks, and lennie for their dream, yet she seems to echo many of own steinbeck's ideas about how unrealistic they are.-

The problem is that i always write boring words, not wow words :mad::s-smilie:
Reply 87
Original post by Dandaman9999
I've been told Curley's Wife because there isn't much the could ask in the context part about Slim, is there?

when i did the exam last year it was on slim?
the american dream so i doubt it will be on slim this year
Do we need to know quotes? Or would the extract be enough? Should I just learn one or two important quotes for each character?
Reply 89
Well in my school, they give out book in the exam :smile:
does anyone know what this could suggest
'Curley's wife lay on her back, she was half covered in hay'

why did steinbeck only chose to cover her half in hay and what may the hay represent?
I am so going to fail this. Hate this.
Who else thinks so?
here are some of mice and men questions i know for those who like me have the exam tommorow if you want to practice then here are some exam style questions, also the general exam mark scheme for this exam is the same for all questions generally

1- How does Steinbeck create a sense of insecurity in the novel?
Why some characters may feel insecure
Uses of language
The contribution of the settings
Other features which create a sense of insecurity.

2- Of Mice and Men ends where it begins, with George and Lenny, alone by the pool.
What is your response to the ending of the novel?
Write about:
Your feelings about George’s decision to shoot Lenny
Ways in which Steinbeck prepares us for this ending
Why the writer chooses to end the story in this way
Whether the ending suggests that the friendship between George and Lenny was pointless.

3- Hopes and dreams help people to survive, even if they can never become real.
How true is this for characters in Of Mice and Men?

4- Show how John Steinbeck explores the complex relationship between George and Lennie.
You should write about:
What keeps them together, and the difficulties they each have
How the writer brings out differences between them
How they are different from other people on the farm
What you think Steinbeck’s purpose was in writing about this relationship.

5- Many characters in Of Mice and Men are shown to be lonely.
Write about loneliness in the novel.
You should write about:
Characters who are lonely
How the write shows their loneliness
The differences and similarities between lonely characters
What you think the writer is saying about loneliness

6- Find the passage in the novel where Lennie kills Curley’s wife, from the description of the barn to the point when Lennie leaves to go to the brush.

7-Of Mice and Men shows us that people can be cruel, or kind, or sometimes a mixture of both.
Compare three characters.
Reply 93
My Rabbits bring Lennie to the yard, and hes like 'i pet em too hard'.
These are possible questions that have not come up yet in previous exams:

What is the importance of nature in the novel?

Discuss the presentation of prejudice in OMAM?

How is the theme of loneliness explored in OMAM?

To what degree is OMAM about hope?

Discuss the role Curley plays in OMAM.

How is society presented in OMAM?

How important is the style of OMAM to its meaning?

Hope this helps!
:smile:
Reply 95
Original post by HopelessTurtle
I am so going to fail this. Hate this.
Who else thinks so?

yep, I am so scared, I need a B in this to do ICT.
Not gone happen :frown:
Reply 96
There's notes on context and themes in the OMAM book guys! Use that if you get stuck. There's also quotes and character analysis in the back of the inspector calls book for everyone who's doing it. Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Didierr
Everyones hoping for Curleys wife, here are some last minute pointers!!

Curley’s wife is the only main female character and she does not have a name, showing the derogatory nature in which men viewed women at that time.
She is only presented as a possession belonging to her husband, Curley’s trophy wife. Women are a temptation to men.
Lennie and George’s dream does not include women.
The first reference to Curley’s wife is when Candy describes her to George as a “tart,” suggesting she is provocative.
The “red fingernails… rouged lips… red mules… red feathers” that she is wearing could also symbolise danger.
Steinbeck, reinforces the vulnerable view of Curley’s wife when she “hurried away” seconds after hearing about Curley’s whereabouts.
She interrupts Lennie’s, Crook’s and Candy’s daydreaming, she destroys dreams.
She is mean and says how the other men “left all the weak ones here.”
Curley’s wife created an uncomfortable atmosphere at the end of the scene when the horses “snorted” and the “halter chains rattled.”
Curley’s wife then talks to Lennie.
The way that Curley’s wife insists on Lennie talking to her shows her desperation.
Curley’s wife knows that Lennie isn’t listening to her as she confides in him making it more tragic.
Lennie moves “cautiously close to her.” And ends up killing her
We feel sorry for her as she dies.
The redness now symbolises beauty, not danger
The moment of peace after her death shows that she has broken free of the cycle.

Good Luck guys

What about the fact that Steinbeck doesn't judge her throughout the novel and lets the other characters make their assumptions sbout her? Maybe he does this to deliberately trick the readers into disliking her to show how judgemental and prejudiced people can be? Also, the colour red does symbolise danger, however, it could also suggest that she's a bit like the devil from the Garden of Eden - she tempts the men into doing bad things just like the devil did to Adam & Eve.
Reply 98
by nature can i just rant on about animals.... i don't know much about nature
And any ideas on style?? all i can think of is cyclical, short and sweet
If i get either question, this will be me in the exam :bricks:
:smile:
Reply 99
you know for the a and b questions we have to do for OMAM, do we have to do an introduction or conclusion? if so what would you write?
i always get so stuck on starting introductions :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending