The Student Room Group

Forced to claim "Theft" by School.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone here think I should consult with my local GP or seek phychiatric help? Or am I ok?

You're fine, you simply need to think more before you do things. Why take a random jacket when it could be someone else's. It would probably be better if you had at least taken it because you wanted it. To take it with no motive does not mean you have something wrong psychologically it simply means you need to think before you do things rather than doing them simply for no reason.
Does anyone here think I should consult with my local GP or seek phychiatric help? Or am I ok?

If this is the first time something like this happened I would try to just pass it off as tiredness/day dreaming. If it happens again or if something like this has happened before I would get professional help as it could be a mental problem
Did you read the link someone posted earlier?
I honestly don't know :frown:

well, if its just once, I wouldn't really worry about it - it could just be a mental 'blip'. If if occurs reguarly, or increases, then seek help.

Just say you don't know why you took it, the action had no malicious intent and it was just an accident or mistake.
If its just once, and you didn't with hold anything when you returned it, its not really a big deal.
people sometimes just do wierd stuff without thinking about it.

Your school is really wierd.
But at least theres no bullying and its a good school for them to have so much time on their hands to interrorgate you over such trivial matters.
Reply 23
bro your teacher wants to kick you out....... no comment it all the way and do not write a statement because your just giving them proof that they need to show the governors.

I broke a guys nose once in school and would not admit it was me, they wanted to tell police and everything, the head teacher sat with me there for 3 hours shouting his head off i just said it wasn't me i dont know what happened i cant remember then i just stayed silent.

DO NOT WRITE A WRITTEN STATEMENT!

get one of your parents to ring in..... saying you feel as if you are being bullied by the interrogator, being physically sick, loss of sleep and so forth scared to come in college and if they keep harassing you about the situation they will make a complaint to the board of governors as you feel like they have a personal vendetta against you
OP, it is because you have a bad history that the teachers have given you those options and not the benefit of the doubt. But the way the teachers are treating you is bad. Report to the Governors of the school or Ofsted. Options 1 and 2 are better than 3.
Reply 25
Everyone, does it count as theft? Stealing?

Since I did take the jacket, put it in my bag, left the room, walked for 10minutes before trying to put it back into the room, but it was locked so I left it somewhere else.

Does taking the item, putting it in my bag, and taking the actions I did count as theft? It's like going into a shop, putting something in your bag, leaving the shop, then coming back in to try to put it back (Even though I returned the item, it still counts as theft right?)
Reply 26
Original post by myuranking
OP, it is because you have a bad history that the teachers have given you those options and not the benefit of the doubt. But the way the teachers are treating you is bad. Report to the Governors of the school or Ofsted. Options 1 and 2 are better than 3.

I agree that I have a rough history (Poor punctuality, truenting a few lessons), that's why they're not giving me the benefit of the doubt.

The head of year has been an extremely kind and supportive teacher in the past, and it's because she's been so kind in the past and now she's sort of changed that it's really thrown me back.

I really don't want to report them, since they are nice people, and they are liked a lot within the school.. do you think I should email my head of year to try to reason? I mean, I think I have "stolen" or attempted theft (see my last post), I'm just trying to come to terms with myself about what I've done, my head is spinning at the thought of this situation.
Everyone, does it count as theft? Stealing?

Since I did take the jacket, put it in my bag, left the room, walked for 10minutes before trying to put it back into the room, but it was locked so I left it somewhere else.

Does taking the item, putting it in my bag, and taking the actions I did count as theft? It's like going into a shop, putting something in your bag, leaving the shop, then coming back in to try to put it back (Even though I returned the item, it still counts as theft right?)

Theft is dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with an intention to permanently deprive them of it (thinking back to criminal law!)

If you always intended to put it back it isn't technically theft, but you'd have a difficult time proving your intention if you can't explain your actions yourself, they will think you are just trying to cover it up, but can't think of a good enough lie.

I don't really think its the definition of theft you need to worry about, though. You're not being charged with or prosecuted for theft. It does sound like your school is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Sure, what you did was wrong, but you gave it back. Maybe the teacher who owned the jacket thinks it was something personal against them and is pushing for a heavy punishment?

This one incident doesn't mean you need psychological help or anything as extreme as that, but perhaps you need to get a little more streetwise. I'm sure lots of other people have done similarly stupid and inexplicable things, but when challenged they have the presence of mind to say, "I thought it was mine", or something.

Now you've been caught out, try not to worry about it. Its not the end of the world and it will all blow over. Apologise to the teacher involved (if you haven't already), say you have no explanation for why you took it, but that it was a mistake andit won't happen again. Don't write them a letter, or sign anything they ask you to. They can't force you to do anything, and its way OTT for what actually happened. Tell your parents what has happened, if you haven't already, so they won't be surprised when they get a phone call from the school. Honestly, what you did was stupid, but very trivial. The school won't take it any further.
Reply 28
Original post by imMcLovin
bro your teacher wants to kick you out....... no comment it all the way and do not write a statement because your just giving them proof that they need to show the governors.

I broke a guys nose once in school and would not admit it was me, they wanted to tell police and everything, the head teacher sat with me there for 3 hours shouting his head off i just said it wasn't me i dont know what happened i cant remember then i just stayed silent.

DO NOT WRITE A WRITTEN STATEMENT!

get one of your parents to ring in..... saying you feel as if you are being bullied by the interrogator, being physically sick, loss of sleep and so forth scared to come in college and if they keep harassing you about the situation they will make a complaint to the board of governors as you feel like they have a personal vendetta against you

Not speaking won't resolve anything.. and as for your case, you should've been punished for breaking another sudent's nose..

My case, it's debatable at the moment, and I will admit to things, deny others, and try and reason to come to a solution.
Reply 29
Original post by Vohamanah
Honestly, what you did was stupid, but very trivial. The school won't take it any further.

I'm pretty sure that it will escalate, since the head of year seems to be doing so. I've just received a letter saying that they require my parents to attend a meeting de to a serious incident which took place in school, attempted theft.

When I had my last meeting, sort of like an interrogation (It felt that way, having 3 senior members of staff, one grilling you saying suggestions of reasoning and saying she won't believe me, another one stating all the bad things I've done in the past, and a third member just smiling a lot and seems to be having a fun time watching..)

I mean, I am very unsure and rather confused as to why I did such a thing, but I can assure you it was done unintentionally.

I don't know why I did this or can believe it myself really, therefore when I was asked about this situation before I panicked, and responded wrongly.

Also, as for my truency, there is no correlation between missing school and being accused of stealing, stealing is something that I refuse to be accused of, its unacceptable to call me a thief, or trying to brand me as one :/

Yes I have bunked, and I have got poor punctuality (Still statistically less than one late per week though, like 0.8 times late per week if I was to go all technical on it), but it is unfair to use every mistake I have made against me to back up with the assumption that I am a thief.

However I do apologise whole heartedly for taking the jacket, and for the trouble I have caused, but it really wasn't on purpose, I have had a lot on my mind recently, and I don't know for what reason I took it. I don't know how to make you believe me, but I wish to clear my name as I'm very uncomfortable being accused with theft. I am willing to prove myself, I don't know how to.

Do you think I should email my head of year right now to try and reason? Or email the teacher I took the jacket from? (I haven't apologised yet since she coincidentally wasn't in her room whenever I walked
by, but then I forgot about it since I didn't
Think it would be so much of an issue) - Also, it's half term at the moment so I can't really go to school (No one will be there).

Also, thankyou for reading my original post, and taking your time to write/respond to me :smile:

Do you think I should notify my form tutor? She probably knows, but I always forget about her (Bit of a poor memory, and I feel so bad when she asks me why I didn't tell her something - when I genuinely just forget =\ )
I'm pretty sure that it will escalate, since the head of year seems to be doing so. I've just received a letter saying that they require my parents to attend a meeting de to a serious incident which took place in school, attempted theft.

When I had my last meeting, sort of like an interrogation (It felt that way, having 3 senior members of staff, one grilling you saying suggestions of reasoning and saying she won't believe me, another one stating all the bad things I've done in the past, and a third member just smiling a lot and seems to be having a fun time watching..)

I mean, I am very unsure and rather confused as to why I did such a thing, but I can assure you it was done unintentionally.

I don't know why I did this or can believe it myself really, therefore when I was asked about this situation before I panicked, and responded wrongly.

Also, as for my truency, there is no correlation between missing school and being accused of stealing, stealing is something that I refuse to be accused of, its unacceptable to call me a thief, or trying to brand me as one :/

Yes I have bunked, and I have got poor punctuality (Still statistically less than one late per week though, like 0.8 times late per week if I was to go all technical on it), but it is unfair to use every mistake I have made against me to back up with the assumption that I am a thief.

However I do apologise whole heartedly for taking the jacket, and for the trouble I have caused, but it really wasn't on purpose, I have had a lot on my mind recently, and I don't know for what reason I took it. I don't know how to make you believe me, but I wish to clear my name as I'm very uncomfortable being accused with theft. I am willing to prove myself, I don't know how to.

Do you think I should email my head of year right now to try and reason? Or email the teacher I took the jacket from? (I haven't apologised yet since she coincidentally wasn't in her room whenever I walked
by, but then I forgot about it since I didn't
Think it would be so much of an issue) - Also, it's half term at the moment so I can't really go to school (No one will be there).

Also, thankyou for reading my original post, and taking your time to write/respond to me :smile:

Do you think I should notify my form tutor? She probably knows, but I always forget about her (Bit of a poor memory, and I feel so bad when she asks me why I didn't tell her something - when I genuinely just forget =\ )

I don't disbelieve you, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that in the absence of a better explanation the school will assume you were going to steal it and got cold feet. Doesn't mean that's what happened. Your past record has nothing to do with it, that's a complete red herring. If they're bringing that up they are just trying to rattle you.

Try not to panic, it really will all blow over. Nothing's happening at the moment so just relax and enjoy your half term. I don't think you should email the Head or your form tutor. They are already trying to make it much more of a bigger deal than it is, there's no point making it worse. When you have the meeting with your parents just maintain that you are sorry, that you don't know why you did it, and you won't do it again. You don't need to say much more than that, honestly.

If you get along with the teacher who owns the jacket then by all means apologise. I would say do it in person when you're back at school rather than by email. But for goodness sakes keep it short! You don't need to explain yourself, just say you're sorry you took her jacket and leave it at that.

Its really not the end of the world, they wouldn't expel or suspend you for something like this alone. I'm surprised the school are making such a big deal out of it, they really must have too much time on their hands.You walked around with someone else's jacket for a while, and then put it back. That's it, its nothing serious. Just try to calm down and be cool and honest.
Just say your mad and have counselling, its seems like the lightest punishment, you seem pretty mad to deliberately pick up a jacket that does not belong to you for no purpose whatsoever.
"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."

There seems to be no such intent

However, for some reason you behaved in a very odd manner ... perhaps you are stressed, perhaps there is some other reason that you behaved in this irrational manner

Perhaps you do not need counselling ... perhaps it could help

Your actions were not the actions of someone that is behaving rationally
Reply 33
Original post by hippieglitter
Just say your mad and have counselling, its seems like the lightest punishment, you seem pretty mad to deliberately pick up a jacket that does not belong to you for no purpose whatsoever.

I don't want to be branded as "Mad", I think that's a bit too over the top..

I mean, I'm unique, maybe I'm acting a bit strangely, but I'm sure there's a time in everyone's life when they're a bit strange..

This hasn't happened before - just for the record
Reply 34
Does anyone else have any advice on what I should do now?
Tell them you need mental help, thats why you did it. Then when you go for the checkup, they find you are sane then thats that sorted.

Also, it seems they are being a bit hard on you. If a teacher accused me of being mentally ill, it would get my back up and I wouldn't stand for that.

If you really don't know why you did it, tell them that you don't know why you did it, end the conversation and walk out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Any other views? or advice?

:frown:

You did it because you didnt know what to do with yourself. It happens to people, young age and old age. Its to do with control, but I wouldnt stress about it tbh, coz it happens.

Next meeting, you need to stress that you are an honest, hardworking student who took the jacket purely because you werent concentrating. Say you know it sound stupid but the fact remains that you had no malicious intent, and why u took it even baffles you and you concluded that it was because you were a bit thrown off by not being able to log in. If your teacher is bein a pain, say you are sorry for any inconvinence you've cause and rest assured it wont happen again.
Reply 37
Original post by Runninground
Tell them you need mental help, thats why you did it. Then when you go for the checkup, they find you are sane then thats that sorted.

The more I think about this, the more confused I am.. What if I'm not actually mentally stable? Since to do such actions with no intentions is as strange as hell - I think I might just go to the GP tomorrow to see if they refer me to a psychiatrist or any therapist of some sort..

I'm not looking for an excuse, or the quickest way out. I do genuine think that I might need some help I think?
The more I think about this, the more confused I am.. What if I'm not actually mentally stable? Since to do such actions with no intentions is as strange as hell - I think I might just go to the GP tomorrow to see if they refer me to a psychiatrist or any therapist of some sort..

I'm not looking for an excuse, or the quickest way out. I do genuine think that I might need some help I think?

You said it was a one off, so I dont think you are mentall unstable in the long term. Has anything happened to you for you to go blank and take this jacket? It is not a crime if you are facing the physiological effects of something thatts happenned. Like Stress.

When I was studying in year 6 for my gramar school tests, I walked outside at 11pm and sat on the stairs. My mum had a fit about it, but to this day I dont know why I did that. I just think it was stress.

I doubt it. We all do things like that every now and again. I threw a pair of socks in the toilet before- I opened the top and threw them in... Not as serious as your's but it's the same type of thing, I don't know why I did it.

I'm sure it's nothing though. If anything, it's the school driving you mentally unstable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending