The Student Room Group

What am I supposed to do in the 3 months before uni starts?

Scroll to see replies

Travel! Take a mini gap year, get a job and then use the money to do something cool. Read for fun before you get bogged down with uni reading.

C'mon have some imagination! There must be things you want to do with your life other than studying.
Original post by mikeyd85
Punch people and animals and smash up some crates until you feel like you've levelled up enough to boss the first term of uni. Might be a bit of a grind, but it'll be well worth it!

What? This isn't Runescape
I'm just beginning a gap year(personal reasons) and I'm terrified about the boredom.Friends going off to uni soon so I'm even more worried.I'm planning on living with a friend abroad for a month or so,working,visiting new places in the uk,volunteering,reading a LOT of books,might try learning guitar,and keeping up my languages.
Reply 43
I'd suggest:

1)Learn to cook
2)Read up on your subject and/or first year courses
3)Spend time with your family and friends who you won't be seeing as often
4)Join the gym and get in shape if you aren't already
5)Pick up a hobby such as an instrument
6)Travel
join the RAF reserve.
Eat, ****, sleep and browse TSR.
Build a time machine. Won't be so bored then will you.
Reply 47
90% of people have said get a job, i'm in the exact same situation as the OP, except i've been unable to actually find a job! i've been trying to get a job since february! i've applied for office jobs, retail sales assistant, telephone jobs, all sorts and still nothing!

everyone's making it sound so easy, but actually its really hard to find a job in london, especially now that most people are off school, so there's loads of more qualified people applying for the same jobs. so what am i supposed to do now?
Walk up some mountains.

Try orienteering. Find your nearest club here:
http://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/page/find_a_club
Original post by AYO
90% of people have said get a job, i'm in the exact same situation as the OP, except i've been unable to actually find a job! i've been trying to get a job since february! i've applied for office jobs, retail sales assistant, telephone jobs, all sorts and still nothing!

everyone's making it sound so easy, but actually its really hard to find a job in london, especially now that most people are off school, so there's loads of more qualified people applying for the same jobs. so what am i supposed to do now?

Can you work for a family or friend, sometimes I wish I had more successful family and friends I can rely on to find work haha. :smile:
Original post by robertwhite
i found a job last summer. I earn around 2k in 6 weeks and still have about 2 months off.

where did you work??
Reply 51
Hitch-hike.

Take a tent and all you need to pay for is food.
Preferably take a friend with you, but it's great fun, and you will get to see some of Europe for free!
Original post by PrismaticCore
1. Reading list. Make a list of 100 books and read them.
2. Start a youtube channel/blog/thing.
4. Film list. Make a list of 100 films you want to watch and watch them.
5. The same as above but with TV series.

Ok, so i've been free since tuesday, i'm now starting to feel like i will soon be eating my toes out of boredom -_-
Please recommend me some books, tv series and films like 500 days of summer, 50/50 and its kind of a funny story
Also i have no idea what i would write in a blog.............
Reply 53
Original post by High VOLTAGE
where did you work??

I still work there. I basically look after children at a playcentre :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Original post by High VOLTAGE
Ok, so i've been free since tuesday, i'm now starting to feel like i will soon be eating my toes out of boredom -_-
Please recommend me some books, tv series and films like 500 days of summer, 50/50 and its kind of a funny story
Also i have no idea what i would write in a blog.............

I recently enjoyed Kane and Abel by Jeffery archer. I'm not sure what books you're into but I thought it was excellent.

Perhaps you should look at (I think the Times newspaper) 100 books you have to read before you die. Lots of classics there I think.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Destroy a few pussays?

Yo

Spoiler

I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. I got home from my last exam yesterday, thinking I would be in a state of euphoria, but I don't know what the hell to do now I don't have anything to do. Nearly gave my Dad a heart attack when I said I'd actually applied for jobs and work experience. I WANT SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE TO DO. boo
Original post by NaomiMadeleine
I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. I got home from my last exam yesterday, thinking I would be in a state of euphoria, but I don't know what the hell to do now I don't have anything to do. Nearly gave my Dad a heart attack when I said I'd actually applied for jobs and work experience. I WANT SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE TO DO. boo

Why don't you sleep? that's what I'm going to do, when I finish on monday I'm going hibernation mode.
I'm in the same situation! I only finished my last exam today and I'm already worried that I'll end up wasting my time off! All my friends have jobs because they don't go to college so they're all going to busy throughout the week and I'm not sure whether to get a job as I'm worried it might limit me too much and I want to enjoy my time off rather than working in a job I don't like but at the same time I realise I may be extremely bored without a job :s-smilie: wouldn't mind learning a language over summer though :tongue: miniture golf would be good fun too :biggrin:
Reply 59
Okay. I know people have been saying 'Get a job', and you're right, it's not as easy as it seems. However, you probably haven't tried as hard as you could either. Write a cv using a CV builder online, with a cover letter, and go around town handing CV's out to ALL the places you wouldn't mind working. Coffee shops, supermarkets, clothes stores, even in fast-food stores. Hand out 10's, 100's if you have to, and if you don't get a job then... well, you most definitely will. Remember, a lot of people are leaving jobs over summer to have a summer off before uni. And, don't worry about not having your summer to do things with either. Most places only want part-timers because the economic climate is so rubbish, so you will still have time to spend with friends (and more money to spend), and you might even be able to save for uni...
Failing that just stay in all summer and cry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending