The Student Room Group

Maths Extended Essay (Gambling-Probability)

Hi! I am doing my extended essay in maths, maths and gambling to be precise. I was thinking of doing something about probabilities in poker (texas holdem) and roulette. Does anyone have any suggestions on some other gambling games, or where to find some good info about them. Thanks in advance!!
Are you sure that's a good topic? No offence...I find it pretty hard to write 4,000 words on probability in gambling games. Good luck though. :wink:
dafunkyguy
Are you sure that's a good topic? No offence...I find it pretty hard to write 4,000 words on probability in gambling games. Good luck though. :wink:

Math EEs don't need to reach the word limit; it's not expected at all...

Saying that, I went over the word limit and I wrote mine in SL Further Math, but I lied...
Reply 3
I was worried about that aswell, but i can do only 2500 words in maths so its not that bad then
Reply 4
FutureEconomist
Math EEs don't need to reach the word limit; it's not expected at all...

Saying that, I went over the word limit and I wrote mine in SL Further Math, but I lied...

Out of interest, what was your EE on?
cabso1
Out of interest, what was your EE on?

I applied graph theory to the London Underground Transport System.
I did four separate investigations:

1. Shortest distance from Heathrow to any other station.
2. Shortest route (distance) to cover every single piece of track (to make maintenance more efficient)
3. Shortest route (time) to cover every single station (and broke the world record)
4. Created a minimum spanning tree of the whole network (ie. a network using the existing track but removing as much track as possible, whilst still making it possible to get everywhere...this obvious meant a very inefficient system for travellers, but cheaper in terms of maintenance)
Reply 6
Y did u have to post it up here? I was going to do something similar for the Bus system on the sunshine coast (Australia) since our bus system really sucks up here. Now I can not do it anymroe because the IBO would think that I copied it out of this threat -.-
DarkFace
Y did u have to post it up here? I was going to do something similar for the Bus system on the sunshine coast (Australia) since our bus system really sucks up here. Now I can not do it anymroe because the IBO would think that I copied it out of this threat -.-

Erm... because someone asked me what I wrote about.

And don't be ridiculous, you can do that idea.
I'm sure I wasn't the first to do something like that, and I will by no means be the last.

Edit: On the Extended Essay guide there is an example question of "Using graph theory to minimize cost"; so you could go on to say I copied that...
There are some experiments in Chem/Bio/Phys that I know people do year on year at my school for their EEs, and it's perfectly acceptable.
Reply 8
FutureEconomist

2. Shortest route (distance) to cover every single piece of track (to make maintenance more efficient)
3. Shortest route (time) to cover every single station (and broke the world record)
4. Created a minimum spanning tree of the whole network (ie. a network using the existing track but removing as much track as possible, whilst still making it possible to get everywhere...this obvious meant a very inefficient system for travellers, but cheaper in terms of maintenance)

I quite like your topic, looks like you put a lot of thought into it. So you actually broke the world record?
cabso1
I quite like your topic, looks like you put a lot of thought into it. So you actually broke the world record?

Yeah. Sadly only on paper. I did contact Guiness World Records, but there was SO MUCH admin stuff to do if I wanted to go out there and break the record, and in the midst of all things 'IB', I had no time. Maybe one day...
Reply 10
Instead of texas hold em and roulette, why not try black jack?

Test the Hi-Lo counting method, whether it is accurate etc. and explain why You can make lots of references to the movie 21 and the book Bringing down the House
Reply 11
FutureEconomist
Yeah. Sadly only on paper. I did contact Guiness World Records, but there was SO MUCH admin stuff to do if I wanted to go out there and break the record, and in the midst of all things 'IB', I had no time. Maybe one day...

I saw a program on, um Sky Travel, if I remember correctly, called The Tube (Yes I'm sad, I watched the Tube), which showed a duo attempt to break the world record, and it did seem like quite laborious work.
Reply 12
heyee, i m just thinkin if me, i would try to build a model that provides a max/min probability either it is good for the firms who provide gambling or good for the ppl who play.

well it makes no sence, it is lyk to determine the probability of different gamblings/lotteries, then creat new ones..

Hope it helps, but probably i hav a very stupid, and uneducated idea

good luck anyways, :smile:
I hope you're not doing english A1
rawkingpunkster
I hope you're not doing english A1

Really helpful that... :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by FutureEconomist

Hey. :smile: I know you wrote your EE ages ago but do you still have it as a copy? I would really love to read it, as my EE will be similar to yours..

Quick Reply

Latest