The Student Room Group

To what extent does doing an extra year in college harm your university application?

Hi,

I'm quite pessimistic at the moment that I'm going to achieve high grades in all four of my AS levels, however I'm confident I'm going to attain two A grades (History and Politics).

I'm not particularly bothered about the time commitment of retaking an AS year, but more-so how it will affect my chances of getting into a good unversity (perhaps top fifteen or so?). I was planning to pick up two new AS levels (since I despise Geography and Literature, hence why I'm likely to get a D-C level grade) and carry on History and Politics at A level. Then, the year after carry the other two AS levels onto A level, and pick up some more AS levels and perhaps even attempt to continue Literature at A level.

So in total I would hopefully get:

Mathematics AS
Sociology A level
Law A level
(some other AS)
History A level
Politics A level
Literature AS (mediocre grade)
Geography AS (mediocre grade)
(perhaps carry on Literature to A level)

I was wondering whether this is a good idea, and how it would affect my chances of gaining entry into a good university for a course such as Politics+History, PPE and such.

Thanks
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Say goodbye to the following:

LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial
Well I started a BTEC and then left it a few months in. The following September I started a different BTEC and I was given an offer by every university I applied to as I'm finishing the second BTEC next month and I applied to good universities. Obviously doesn't really have that much of an effect and your reason seems way better than mine AND you're doing A Levels. If I got accepted anyway on an unfinished and soon to be finished BTEC I doubt you'll have any issues.

the first poster that said say goodbye to those top universities, I can't say they're incorrect because I didn't apply to those ones but you don't really have to worry all that much.
Reply 4
In the same situation just that quite different as I am doing 2 years A levels in maths economics Business Physical Education and a year of GCSEs before i do them so Ill be doing 3 years in college the reason for the 3 years is because I chose btecs in school and they are worthless so am doing 5 GCSE subjects Maths All the sciences and Psychology I allready have a GCSE in english and maths from school anyway so that would leave me with 6 GCSEs and BTECs in Sport ICT and Business whats the chances of me going to a good university to do Accounting and Finance because ill be a year older than the people applying for the same course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending