The Student Room Group
Reply 1
When you first saw someone, you were given a small wallet with papers in. Within that wallet should be a form. You fill this form in to end your claim. If you don't have that form, speak to someone at the job centre.
Reply 2
Original post by snowman77
I am no longer entitled to job seekers allowance and I wish to cancel it. How do I go about doing this?

Simply stop signing on and they will cancel your claim and you will no longer be paid. This may be the easiest way, as if you go in to cancel, they may wish to see evidence that you were entitled to your last payment and you will find yourself jumping through extra hoops to provide evidence for their paper trail.

They may in the future determine that you were overpaid, depending on how and when you were no longer entitled, and if so, they will write to you, explaining why, and that you may need to pay some of it back.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Can I ring a number?
Original post by OU Student
When you first saw someone, you were given a small wallet with papers in. Within that wallet should be a form. You fill this form in to end your claim. If you don't have that form, speak to someone at the job centre.

this is quite snarky...but also quite brilliant. As when someone asks a question, I usually google it to give them the answer. and then wonder why they didn't just google it...
Reply 6
Can I ring a number?

I'm not sure. I just spoke to someone at the front desk of the job centre and explained that I need to change benefits.
lol not too difficult. All you have to do is tell them you want to sign off at the last meeting. You can ring their number, but they won't pay you if you don't turn up for the meeting anyway.
Reply 8
Walk in
Scream "Keep your goddamn money you filthy animal"
Walk out.

Like a baws.
Reply 9
Telling them is not an option. I am moving location before my next sign on day. What is the number? I cannot find a number to ring to cancel.
Original post by Dragonfly07
lol not too difficult. All you have to do is tell them you want to sign off at the last meeting. You can ring their number, but they won't pay you if you don't turn up for the meeting anyway.
Telling them is not an option. I am moving location before my next sign on day. What is the number? I cannot find a number to ring to cancel.

Just don't sign. If you fail to call them later to give an excuse why you couldn't sign (in case of sickness), your claim will automatically be cancelled.
Original post by flying plum
this is quite snarky...but also quite brilliant. As when someone asks a question, I usually google it to give them the answer. and then wonder why they didn't just google it...

Saw someone use it in a thread once and lol'd, wondered how they did it, it is so simple, makes me wonder how some people cope or if they are even serious sometimes.
Tell them before. You don't need to wait until you sign on to tell them. I didn't. I was due to sign on 3 days later.
Reply 13
Original post by marcusfox
Simply stop signing on and they will cancel your claim and you will no longer be paid. This may be the easiest way.

The easiest thing to do would be to do what OU Student suggested. Fill in the "leaving JSA form". All that needs to be done is given the reason, give the last day of the claim (e.g. last day the OP is eligible), sign and pop it into the post/return it to the jobcentre.

So pop in and tell them now?

Do you still have the documents that were given to you when you signed on, specifically your attendance booklet (green and white booklet with your attendance arrangements).

There is no phone number for stopping a claim as it's expected you fill in the form. However, the JSA telephone number is 0845 604 3719, I think. If you phone this then be prepared to be kept on hold.

If you do just fail to sign on then yes your claim will be closed. They may attempt to phone you to find out why you failed to attend. But the best thing to do, the thing that will cause the least potential grief, would be to send off the form.
They will ask you to ring an 0345 number and you will be kept on hold for eternity while your phone bill increases. But if they don't owe you money then its just best to stop going and it will be closed automatically.

Latest

Trending

Trending