The Student Room Group

The Duke Of Edinburgh's Award's Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ye one night thats right :P Urm il have a look :smile:
Reply 41
Lol we have done longer than required :O. I did three nights for silver and doing 4 for gold?
I think it is 2 nights/3 days for silver and 3nights/4days for gold, that was how I understand it.
Has anyone done an exploration. Our leader was explaining that if you don't feel up to doing a really long walk like for gold and that you could do an exploration. This is where you camp in one place and walk out from that place each day and look at the landscape so one day you could walk out in heading to a mountain, go up it and draw the landscape. However on the next day you walk out and study something about a river for example. By doing an exploration you don't need to carry as much kit with you as you only need a day bag for the walks and you can leave your clothes and tent on the site so you aren't laden down with kit.
Reply 43
wizard710
I think it is 2 nights/3 days for silver and 3nights/4days for gold, that was how I understand it.
Has anyone done an exploration. Our leader was explaining that if you don't feel up to doing a really long walk like for gold and that you could do an exploration. This is where you camp in one place and walk out from that place each day and look at the landscape so one day you could walk out in heading to a mountain, go up it and draw the landscape. However on the next day you walk out and study something about a river for example. By doing an exploration you don't need to carry as much kit with you as you only need a day bag for the walks and you can leave your clothes and tent on the site so you aren't laden down with kit.

Lol, we are doing more than we need to on our gold :0. I will need to have words!! :smile: Ye were doing an exploration and having to present it when we go back to the youthy. We are doing sea defences as we are on an Island ^^. For silver we did birds. I found it interesting but some of the group to a less active approach.
Right, that sea defenses sounds interesting seeing as I am quite interested in geography
Reply 45
Ye that was our thinking. 2/3's of the group do geog and enjoy it so it seemed an interesting and practical study. :biggrin:
Reply 46
I did not ever do my Bronze. I have completed my silver and I only have the completion of my institute of advanced driving course to do, before my Gold is finished.

Jurisprude
How do people not with organisations get to do a gold DofE exped?

Well, I've done mine not with an group but I do have a link at the council who is available if I have any questions and who will verify my acheivments (or whatever else that process is called) before I can get my award. I am counted as an independant participant, but with connections to [my town] open award centre. I spoke to the woman at the centre about what I wanted to do and she gave me some options. In the end I went with a group from another district who were an organised group, but there were other options. Do you have a link like that, who would probably have links with other DofE groups (including out of area), who may have suggestions?
Reply 47
wizard710

I did it - We still had to carry the kit though. Our leader wouldn't let us stay in the same place more than 1 night unless you had a special reason, so we had to move. I think theres a minimum distance you have to walk though, i can't remember what it was. Its shorter walking, but obviously you have to spend time after writing up what your project is, everyone in our group had to pick a different topic. (i did woodland flowers)
Reply 48
Ye there is a minimum. It is 80km for Gold and 50km for Silver
Reply 49
Is that just expedition though? I'm sure exploration could be less than that.
Reply 50
Ye expedition is that. For ours, we incorporated it into the walk itself. That would reduce our time, food costs and fatigue. Our Youth Centre feels it works better and i is a good way of doing it.
Reply 51
Phaa i've updated the first forum post and it should have the link, as well as clicking the d of e icon.
Reply 52
Right guys, if you would like to join the society do click on my signature icon and it will take to join up.

Regards

Tknightrider
Reply 53
So guys what skills are we doing?
The first thing I mention is what I did for bronze and the second is what I am doing for silver
Phys:h:ockey and :confused:
Skill: Keyboard and shooting
Serv: Sunday school and young leadering
Reply 55
wizard710
The first thing I mention is what I did for bronze and the second is what I am doing for silver
Phys:h:ockey and :confused:
Skill: Keyboard and shooting
Serv: Sunday school and young leadering

Mhh i am doing clay pigeon shooting for my Gold skill. Lol should be fun.
My gold service is the fire service and my sport is boxing lol. All good fun.
Bronze : army cadet (service), horse handling (skill), horse riding (sport)
Silver : old peoples home (service), trombone (skill), (running)
Reply 56
TKnightrider
So guys what skills are we doing?

Advanced driving, as I said ^
Reply 57
Es*
Advanced driving, as I said ^

Nice, so is that involving instructor course or teaching?
Reply 58
TKnightrider
Nice, so is that involving instructor course or teaching?

I am doing extra driver training with the Institute of Advanced Motorists, towards my advanced driving test. It will increase my driving abilities so they are beyond the minimum standard needed to pass a driving test. Hopefully this will make me safer on the road. As a bonus, it will probably reduce my insurance premiums.

http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/advancedtest/
Reply 59
Es*
I am doing extra driver training with the Institute of Advanced Motorists, towards my advanced driving test. It will increase my driving abilities so they are beyond the minimum standard needed to pass a driving test. Hopefully this will make me safer on the road. As a bonus, it will probably reduce my insurance premiums.

http://www.iam.org.uk/aboutus/advancedtest/

Now that is certainly a good package. I may have to consider it. I'm doing Pass Plus and that knocks off 30-35% off your insurance, which is woot for me ^^

Quick Reply

Latest