The Student Room Group
justjoshing
Has anyone ever been given a Reprimand or Police caution? How long does a caution last for anyway?

This should answer all your questions:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/cautioning/

Will a simple caution go on my criminal record?

A simple caution is not a criminal conviction, but it will be recorded on the police database. It may be used in court as evidence of bad character, or as part of an anti-social behaviour order (ASBO) application.

The record will remain on the police database along with photographs, fingerprints and any other evidence taken. If you are cautioned for a sexual offence, you could be placed on the sex offenders register.

If the victim of your offence requests your name and address for civil proceedings, the police are legally obliged to give this information out, so you may still be sued for damages.

If they're going to refer to it in later court cases as evidence of character, I imagine it stays on your record...
Reply 2
If you're under 18 it's a police record but not a criminal record so when you turn 18 it cant be used against you. But if you're over 18 I havnt a clue
i have a reprimand for theft and am worried it will effect applying for dentistry/medicine at university. pleas and guidance??
I think it will show up on the enhanced CRB check they do ?
I got a police caution in 2003 when I was 14. Last year it showed up on an enhanced CRB I did for a summer camp. This Summer it has been 5 years, which is how long I have heard that it lasts for, but I have yet to check this out. I don't know if or how a reprimand is different.
Reply 5
yeah a reprimand is for under 18's and is NOT a criminal record, you can only get cautioned when youre over 18. a caution is when they say "you dont have to say anything but anything you do say may be given in evidence etc"
Reply 6
levantine
yeah a reprimand is for under 18's and is NOT a criminal record, you can only get cautioned when youre over 18. a caution is when they say "you dont have to say anything but anything you do say may be given in evidence etc"

You're conflating the police caution and the caution given to suspects. A police caution - to dispose of an offence - is simply a warning given and recorded. The caution given to suspects is the reminder of the right to silence and is given to any person who is suspected of a crime before evidence is taken: it does not imply guilt or anything else, it is simply a required reminder of rights.
Reply 7
yeah your right
Reply 8
I have a reprimand that I was given 13 years ago aged 17, I am now 30 and it still remains on CRB and DBS check there is no getting rid of it. I recently applied for the police and could not even get passed vetting, the reprimand is for shoplifting, something I consider to be minor and committed as technically still a child. Yet I will be punished for the remainder of my life for one silly mistake. Yet murderers can wonder the street and hold down jobs and we are non the wiser
Original post by rmojo22
I have a reprimand that I was given 13 years ago aged 17, I am now 30 and it still remains on CRB and DBS check there is no getting rid of it. I recently applied for the police and could not even get passed vetting, the reprimand is for shoplifting, something I consider to be minor and committed as technically still a child. Yet I will be punished for the remainder of my life for one silly mistake. Yet murderers can wonder the street and hold down jobs and we are non the wiser

You may consider it minor, but it's an issue of theft.

A murderer wouldn't get a job in the police. The police can afford to be picky. Firstly , they have a large talent pool to draw from. Secondly they'll be issues if you have to go to court to give evidence.

Have you tried the military?
Thread locked due to age.

Latest

Trending

Trending